Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Hard can it be?!  (Read 6415 times)

Ben Rubinstein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1822
How Hard can it be?!
« on: June 28, 2006, 07:02:38 pm »

The cover over the screen on the Canon DSLR's is user removeable, it's a $10 part. How hard would it be to get a decent anti reflective cover and have it cut to size as a replacement? I would happily pay $100 for a screen that is useable outdoors on my 5D unlike the present one which is unuseable in even bright overcast light and renders the damn screen, digital's biggest asset (when you include the histogram), useless for outdoor photography. Come on guys, someone must know how to make a anti reflective screen, cut it to size and make money off of all us canon shooters....

I wonder if a strip of polarizing filter material would do it?

Of course on a camera costing that amount it is utterly inexcuseable that such a solution should be needed, I fully expect the Sony Alpha screen to put the screen on the top level DSLR's to shame as digi P&S's have done for years now. Canon, get your act together!
Logged

gochugogi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 80
    • http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 10:30:54 pm »

I can't see the screen on my 20D in bright light and it's a lot brighter than the 5D screen. Histograms are useless in bright light as you can't see them. I lived without them for decades so no biggie. I don't miss something I never could use. And my images are none the worse.

I don't think a textured anti-reflection cover will make one iota of diff for such a dim screen. I tried it: put an anti-reflective screen protector on my 20D and 5D. Well, the diff is so small it makes no visible difference. However it does seem to be easier to clean and doesn't show nose and finger goo as readily.
Logged
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

Gregory

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • http://www.gregory.hk
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 09:28:50 am »

Quote
I can't see the screen on my 20D in bright light and it's a lot brighter than the 5D screen. Histograms are useless in bright light as you can't see them. I lived without them for decades so no biggie.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
the screen on my 350D is abysmal. it's only useful for checking the histogram for inappropriate biases (ie, too dark, too bright, etc), and checking the preview for flashing blowout sections. even then, it's not great.

a few days ago, I had the opportunity to get great photos of local spider webs in the setting sun. I couldn't see the preview in the screen (as usual) so I checked the histogram and thought everything was ok. after moving the images to the computer though, I discovered that the webs were completed blown out! very disappointing.

I envy people using the 'simpleton' compact cameras with their super bright and clear 2.5" screens!
Logged
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

Greg_E

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 03:56:34 pm »

You could always take it out and bring to someplace that grinds eyeglasses. Many of them offer an AR coating on plastic lenses, might be cheap enough for a test. Have them coat both sides, and tell them that if it is destroyed, it's no big deal.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 11:53:49 pm »

Why not just buy one of the hoods that go over the LCD? I think they make them to snap on and off. It's also easy to carry a towel and toss it over your head and the camera. That's what I do, or use my jacket.

Also, are you saying that the 5D's LCD panel is dim? Have you tried increasing its intensity using custom functions? It's adjustable.

It is annoying though.
Logged

situgrrl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 342
    • http://www.charlyburnett.com
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 05:33:30 am »

My friend has one of those hoods on her 350D and I find that it is forever in the way.  I think hers is a delkin one - it extends the buttons and makes the camera difficult to hold.  

The optician suggestion seems sensible and failing that, I'd go speak to your local car window tinting people and see if they've got an offcut of something anti reflective.

Bobtrips

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 679
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 01:11:56 pm »

Quote
The cover over the screen on the Canon DSLR's is user removeable, it's a $10 part. How hard would it be to get a decent anti reflective cover and have it cut to size as a replacement? I would happily pay $100 for a screen that is useable outdoors on my 5D ...
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Take a look at [a href=\"http://http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=18911783]this post[/url].
Logged

gochugogi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 80
    • http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 04:31:52 pm »

Quote
Also, are you saying that the 5D's LCD panel is dim? Have you tried increasing its intensity using custom functions? It's adjustable.


Yes, it is dim even when maxed out at the highest setting. Oddly when you use the highest setting, although not very bright, it reduces contrast considerably.

Incidentally there is no custom function for LCD/TFT brightness. Like all EOS DSLRs, LCD/TFT brightness is adjusted via a first level menu option.
Logged
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

Ben Rubinstein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1822
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 06:38:31 pm »

It isn't dim that bothers me, to be honest the screen is too bright, I have to have it on the second to lowest setting to match what I see on my computer screen otherwise it gets confusing with a picture that shows an exposure that looks blown in the highlights but isn't reflected in the histogram. The problem I have is with flare. The Delkin screens are fine in the field but useless for an event photographer like myself.
Logged

Ben Rubinstein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1822
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 06:40:09 pm »

Bob, the link doesn't work, any chance you could post it again?
Logged

Bobtrips

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 679
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 08:45:59 pm »

Quote
Bob, the link doesn't work, any chance you could post it again?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry about that.  It certainly doesn't take one to the right place.  

Maybe [a href=\"http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1976&search=1]this one[/url] will.


(I checked it in Preview this time.)

--

The original post was a link to a discussion on DPR where Joseph S. W. (no way I can start to spell his last name ;o) had stated that he had used the film successfully on laptop screens.

Might be something to try out on an older small pixel digicam....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 08:53:07 pm by Bobtrips »
Logged

gochugogi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 80
    • http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 07:12:42 pm »

Quote
It isn't dim that bothers me, to be honest the screen is too bright, I have to have it on the second to lowest setting to match what I see on my computer


Hmm, maybe mine is defective as even maxed out it can only be described as pale. Howwever, it's bright enough at twilight, night and indoors. However, during the day it is basically invisible, even on cloudy days here in Honolulu. When shooting at the beach shading or cupping my hand around it does little good. Maybe I wouldn't complain as much if I lived in the dark 'n dreary Pacific Northwest.

I wish I could match it to my Cinema Display! The Cinema Display shines like a supernova compared to the 5D LCD/TFT.
Logged
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 10:14:53 pm »

Quote
Yes, it is dim even when maxed out at the highest setting. Oddly when you use the highest setting, although not very bright, it reduces contrast considerably.

Incidentally there is no custom function for LCD/TFT brightness. Like all EOS DSLRs, LCD/TFT brightness is adjusted via a first level menu option.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Everyone copngradulate me. I bought a 5D last weekend from B&H. It was on sale for 2875 plus a 300 dollar mail in rabate from Canon. I was NOT planning on buying a 5D at this time, but 2575 US for a 5D from a reputable dealer with full warranty was too much to pass up.

Yes, I have been reading up on the LCD and the tests say it is indeed dim with no anti glare on it. I'm with POM on this one. That's crappy.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 10:19:58 pm »

Quote
Hmm, maybe mine is defective as even maxed out it can only be described as pale. Howwever, it's bright enough at twilight, night and indoors. However, during the day it is basically invisible, even on cloudy days here in Honolulu. When shooting at the beach shading or cupping my hand around it does little good. Maybe I wouldn't complain as much if I lived in the dark 'n dreary Pacific Northwest.

I wish I could match it to my Cinema Display! The Cinema Display shines like a supernova compared to the 5D LCD/TFT.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69658\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Hahaha, I was just thinking, "BASTARD lives in Hawaii!" I live in the Pac Nor West, and we have had about 4 days of sunlight in the entire month of June (although you can drive inland 10 minutes and hit full sunshine). I'm sitting in the coffee house at this time in my town and it's July 4th at about 62 degrees, full overcast. It's a good thing I just bought the 5D because I was contemplating buying a gun and shooting myself. LOL. How about I fly to Hawaii and you show me around to the "good" spots? I'm seriously thinking about as trip there to shoot.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
How Hard can it be?!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 10:23:00 pm »

Bob, that film restricts viewing angle too though, seemingly drastically. Also, how do you mount it--stick on? If so will the glue come off the back of the LCD if needed? Have you tried this?

Quote
Sorry about that.  It certainly doesn't take one to the right place. 

Maybe this one will.
(I checked it in Preview this time.)

--

The original post was a link to a discussion on DPR where Joseph S. W. (no way I can start to spell his last name ;o) had stated that he had used the film successfully on laptop screens.

Might be something to try out on an older small pixel digicam....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:23:44 pm by dwdallam »
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up