Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: camera for digiscoping  (Read 2893 times)

Kenneth Sky

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 463
    • http://
camera for digiscoping
« on: April 12, 2006, 06:08:41 pm »

I'm looking for a light, pocketable P&S to fit on my Zeiss 80mm Diascope when birding. I'd prefer something that won't vignette (that probably limits it to a 3x zoom), has a large LCD (preferably 3" or 2.5" with swivel), remote or cable control, short shutter lag, and RAW capable (not the highest priority if the compression isn't too obvious). Any suggestions?
Logged

BernardLanguillier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13980
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
camera for digiscoping
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 07:33:07 pm »

I am by no means an expert, but adding VR/IS capability to your list of requirements might be a wise move considering the magnification.

Cheers,
Bernard

Kenneth Sky

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 463
    • http://
camera for digiscoping
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 05:35:32 pm »

Bernard
From what I've read, it won't help much. Tripod mounting of scope with adapter attachment to eyepiece and cable release or remote release is recommended. Most birds I watch are in shade so high sensitivity and a good LCD are extremely helpful.
Ken
Logged

Lin Evans

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • http://www.lin-evans.net
camera for digiscoping
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 01:37:16 pm »

Quote
I'm looking for a light, pocketable P&S to fit on my Zeiss 80mm Diascope when birding. I'd prefer something that won't vignette (that probably limits it to a 3x zoom), has a large LCD (preferably 3" or 2.5" with swivel), remote or cable control, short shutter lag, and RAW capable (not the highest priority if the compression isn't too obvious). Any suggestions?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Ken,

I do lots of digiscoping and moderate the digiscoping forum over at Steve's Digicams but I'm not current on the latest small cameras which have been found amenable. I do know that the Contax/Kyocera has been highly regarded.

I would suggest you follow the links below to get the latest and greatest on new cameras which are amenable. Personally, I use the Nikon CP990 and CP4500 but there are smaller and ligher cameras which seem to be very good as well.

The links below are to Andy Brights site and then to the birding forum where you will want to click on the link to Andy's digiscoping forum:

[a href=\"http://www.digiscoped.com/]http://www.digiscoped.com/[/url]

http://www.birdforum.net/index.php?

Best regards,

Lin
Logged
Lin
Pages: [1]   Go Up