Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Canon telephoto lenses that I would like to see  (Read 2413 times)

maverick

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • Nature's Colors
New Canon telephoto lenses that I would like to see
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:42:54 pm »

As long as we are fantasizing about new lenses, I am tired of reading about Canon's new 500mm f/4, 600mm f/4, and 400 f/2.8 lenses that being remade and even more expensive than before.

For many uses these fast lenses are not necessary, and they are becoming less necessary every day, as camera sensors get better and better. Sure, sometimes it's nice to shoot wide open with a fast tele for an out of focus background.

What I'd like to see is a 500mm f/5.6 EF-S lens for the 7D and other small format sensors. This could be a really light lens compared to the ridiculously heavy monsters they have now. No zoom please, because I want it sharp wide open, like the 400mm f/5.6. And they must focus fast.

Oh, and throw in a 600mm f/5.6 EF-S for good measure.
These lenses I could hike a couple of miles with and not break my back.

Ed

natures-colors.com
Logged
Ed Lusby
Nature's Colors
http://www.natures-colors.com

NicolasBelokurov

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
Re: New Canon telephoto lenses that I would like to see
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:05:28 pm »

I'd really like to see a 70-400 IS and weathersealed lens with close focusing. That would be a great workhorse.

JohnKoerner

  • Guest
Re: New Canon telephoto lenses that I would like to see
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:34:28 pm »

To me, this is by far the most interesting new lens Canon is coming out with: the EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS USM ... that not only has the second-generation IS added to it, but also comes with a 1.4x Teleconverter built in

On the 7D this lens would therefore be equivalent to a 320 - 640mm with the T/C turned off ... and a 448 - 896mm with the 1.4x T/C turned on ... which is an overall potential range of 320-896mm!

Quite the handy bird/safari lens, I'd reckon

Jack


.
Logged

maverick

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • Nature's Colors
Re: New Canon telephoto lenses that I would like to see
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:22:41 pm »

Yes, Canon really needs to update the 100-400mm lens. The IS is not good (1 stop as I measured it), and the optics aren't great either. Just adding the current IS technology would be a big help.

Ed
Logged
Ed Lusby
Nature's Colors
http://www.natures-colors.com

maverick

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • Nature's Colors
Re: New Canon telephoto lenses that I would like to see
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:30:18 pm »

Wow, Canon does it again. The builtin converter idea is terrific. Best part is, the converter will be optically matched to the lens. And you switch to it much faster, I'm sure.
I'm not a zoom tele fan, and this one will be another big, heavy, expensive lens, I'm sure. But the new technology is very exciting and will be obviously applied to other lenses in the future. And many folks will welcome a high quality tele zoom they can use instead of the not so good 100-400.

Ed
Logged
Ed Lusby
Nature's Colors
http://www.natures-colors.com

stever

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1250
Re: New Canon telephoto lenses that I would like to see
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:44:32 am »

except that it weighs twice as much as thre 100-400 and costs $10k

i agree on the 500 5.6, but would be quite happy with a 400 5.6 IS and a 7D2 that will autofocus at f8
Logged

JohnKoerner

  • Guest
Re: New Canon telephoto lenses that I would like to see
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:17:39 am »

except that it weighs twice as much as thre 100-400 and costs $10k ...

Yes, but how much would it cost to buy a 200mm, a 300mm, a 400mm, and a 500mm ... which is what this new lens, plus adapter, effectively covers in one optic? ;)

And how much would all 4 of those lenses weigh in your backpack? ;)

Also, how much time (and how many fleeting shots) do you think will be saved by being able to compose everything through one lens that covers this entire range to the highest standards ... versus the poor bloke who has to "change focal lengths" every time, and carefully put away each changed lens, while out in the field? ;)

I think, when all factors are considered, the 200-400 option will provide the best value over any other lens available, but that is just my opinion :D

Jack


.
Logged

maverick

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • Nature's Colors
Re: New Canon telephoto lenses that I would like to see
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:23:19 pm »

What lens you want depends how you will use it, of course. The 200-400 isn't better or worse than a fixed 400mm. Most of the time for my shooting I need the longest focal length possible. But if you have to zoom, you have to zoom. My equipment has to be light and agile (and not 10K). An 8lb lens that requires a big tripod and a Gimbal head to shoot action will not work for me. But that's just me. I am mostly photographing birds, and often have to hike in where I need to photograph. Zooms always add bulk to a lens. Ever see a Nikon 200-400? Geez, what a monster. Great lens, but....

You could easily hand hold a 500-600mm f/5.6 EF-S. The slower speed helps a lot, as well as the much smaller diameter of the lens required to cover the small sensor.  If these are ever made, I believe they will be very popular. But Canon has no incentive to make them as long as folks are willing to shell out 10k for their current teles.
The best chance for these EF-S tele lenses may be Sigma, etc, but they seem to love zooms, so I doubt I would get my fixed focal length wish.

Ed
Logged
Ed Lusby
Nature's Colors
http://www.natures-colors.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up