When shooting a focus stack (macro photography), is it better to move the entire camera/lens assembly for each subsequent shot or to use the lens focus ring to change the focus point?
Hi Peter,
The optimal solution would be to have a control that moves the film/sensor plane, and leaves the entrance pupil of the optical system in place. That would allow to have an unchanged perspective for each shot, leaving only a change in magnification which will be resized by the DOF stitching application.
I'm not sure there is a definite preference in the DOF stacking society for the second choice scenarios. Whether a lens 'focus' (actually a change in magnification) adjustment or a subject to lens distance is preferrable, seems debatable. I prefer using the lens 'focus' method because I don't have the luxury of a motorized Stackshot, and Helicon Focus Pro comes with a Helicon Remote utility which drives the focus of the lens (at least for my Canon EF 100mm). That is a real time saver.
Apparently Helicon Remote will also be (or maybe already is) able to drive the Stackshot. In that case I would also be able to use my manual focus 65mm Macro for DOF stacking, but I first need to take the hurdle of buying the Stackshot.
I'm not sure if the Zerene stacker software also interfaces with the Stackshot, which sofar seems the only not-DIY solution of adequate quality. I'm happy with Helicon Focus Pro, very helpful folks in case of an issue that needs to be solved (hardware interface peculiarities with the remote focus protocols).
Cheers,
Bart