Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Klinko/Katie Holmes picture  (Read 3546 times)

blansky

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
Klinko/Katie Holmes picture
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:59:01 pm »

I recently saw the Klinko shot of Katie Holmes and fell in love with the background. Does anyone happen to know where he got it or rented it. I've read that some people on the forum assisted him at different times.

As a portrait type photographer, we have our own limited resources but product and commercial photographers seem to have their ear to the ground and know what everyone else is doing or using.

The background in question is grey with a great texture. I have a lot of backgrounds and even a few grey but I love the texture of that one.

Thanks in advance. Here is a link: http://twitpic.com/t904z



Michael
Logged

DanielStone

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 664
Klinko/Katie Holmes picture
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 03:39:33 pm »

looks like a plain old 10x20 muslin. plain and simple. its funny, as many of their elaborately designed sets, they have just as many "budget" sets that seem extremely simple. lighting looks nice and soft, like a big octabank right above her. very nice shot though..


what about these?

http://www.aurabackdrops.com/dyed-muslin-b...2e373424ae80a51

here's one that's close

http://www.aurabackdrops.com/aquamarine-dy...0x20-p-134.html

-Dan

Logged

blansky

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
Klinko/Katie Holmes picture
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 05:02:30 pm »

Thanks Daniel. What I was trying for was if someone knew exactly what he used.

I have maybe 20 backgrounds from places like, Knowledge, Shooting Gallery, Backdrop Outlet, Denny's, Backgrounds by Maheu, Photoshowcase,  and a few others but the usual kind of grey background has more of a a swirly, cloudy type of pattern and not as interesting as the Klinko one.


Thanks for the heads up on the aura company though.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:03:09 pm by blansky »
Logged

Frank Doorhof

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1522
    • http://
Klinko/Katie Holmes picture
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:08:25 am »

Hi
sometimes things are much simpler tham thought and some things can't  be bought.
In our studio we have several movable walls covered in wallpaper that gives a very nice background that can be used close to the model.
We also have several walls painted by an artpainter for the more unique looking stuff.

It could be an off the shelves wallpaper ofcourse.
Logged

tokengirl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 360
Klinko/Katie Holmes picture
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:04:47 am »

It looks to me like the floor was covered with crushed velvet, and the wall has a (well-done) faux-finish paint job done to match the crushed velvet.  Perhaps the wall is covered in the crushed velvet as well?
Logged

blansky

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
Klinko/Katie Holmes picture
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 12:43:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's a muslin 10x20ish background.

The crushed velvet look I think is accomplished by painting the background then crushing it together when wet still. That is part of what I like about it. Most of these backgrounds are far more cloudy and swirly. The lines from the "crush" or "scrunch" is what seems to give  it its dimension. Although I could be very wrong about the technique. I once tried to paint a wall as a background and have a whole new respect for people that do this for a living. It sucked.


Michael
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:46:23 pm by blansky »
Logged

tokengirl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 360
Klinko/Katie Holmes picture
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:41:23 pm »

Quote from: blansky
I once tried to paint a wall as a background and have a whole new respect for people that do this for a living. It sucked.

I'm sure Martha Stewart has a book on faux finishes?  
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up