Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D80 v D200  (Read 4369 times)

Morgan_Moore

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2354
    • sammorganmoore.com
D80 v D200
« on: July 30, 2007, 02:54:04 pm »

I have had my D200 nicked.

Generally I thought it was pretty poor (I also have a blad and an kodak SLRn so am used to bigger files) but dont feel like switching to canon at the moment so in the vain hope that nikon might bring out a big frame camera I would prefer to keep my outlay at this time minimal

So what about a D80

Are there any huge drawbacks like buffer filling up after two frames

I shoot raw and fairly slowly

I also understand it is not right with maunal lenses (I dont care about metering) only fit and fire -  whats the score

Are the cameras basically the same or am I missing a huge no-goer on the D80

I like the fact that it is small and plasticy AND LIGHT !

SMM
Logged
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Richowens

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 977
D80 v D200
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 03:53:08 pm »

Morgan,

 First off, may the bastard that stole your camera rot in hell!  

 Second, this should answer your question about lens fit and function.

 Nikon Lenses

 I'm not sure about the buffer on the D80, but on my D70 with a Lexar 80x card, it's good for about 4 frames before slowdown. With a Sandisk II about three frames.

 HTH

 Rich
Logged

Morgan_Moore

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2354
    • sammorganmoore.com
D80 v D200
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 04:51:31 pm »

ta.    more comments??
Logged
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Per Ofverbeck

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 140
    • http://elgfoto.se
D80 v D200
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 05:11:28 am »

Quote
ta.    more comments??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, for me the most important by far is the weather sealing of the D200; I don´t have to panic if there are a few raindrops in the air when using it.

To get the full benefit of this, the lens should be well sealed, too.  Most Nikon pro quality lenses are; the consumer grade zooms are not.  I have the Nikon 17 - 55/2.8 as my standard lens, and it is sealed.

For my photographic needs, this advantage easily outweghs the drawbacks of more weight, higher price & c.  Your mileage may be different....
Logged
Per Ofverbeck
My

Morgan_Moore

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2354
    • sammorganmoore.com
D80 v D200
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 07:18:33 am »

Quote
Well, for me the most important by far is the weather sealing of the D200; I don´t have to panic if there are a few raindrops in the air when using it.

To get the full benefit of this, the lens should be well sealed, too.  Most Nikon pro quality lenses are; the consumer grade zooms are not.  I have the Nikon 17 - 55/2.8 as my standard lens, and it is sealed.

For my photographic needs, this advantage easily outweghs the drawbacks of more weight, higher price & c.  Your mileage may be different....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The only nikon I had break in the rain was a D1 - top of the range at the time

My theory that 2 D200s or 4 D80s will outlast more abuse than one D1X

S
Logged
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Roy

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 196
    • http://
D80 v D200
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:59:42 pm »

Quote
So what about a D80

Are there any huge drawbacks

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130698\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The metering system.

Matrix metering on the D80 is "dumbed down" from the D200 (or even the D70) to fit what Nikon thinks the consumer market wants. The D80 gives strong priority in determining exposure to the area of the scene around the focus area and it often over-exposes by about 0.7 ev. The D200 does a reasonably good job of looking at brightness values over the whole frame and it avoids blown-out highlights much better than the D80.

A senior Nikon Canada person told me that it was unreasonable to expect the D80 to meter like the more pro level D200. Consumers shoot JPEG, want the main subject to be properly exposed and like bright prints. Consumers don't adjust raw files and fret about highlights.

For me that was a deal-breaker. I can't move back and forth between my D200 and the D80. The D80 went back. When I want small and light, I continue to use my old D70 which has the same 1005 sensor metering system as the D200 (although it meters about 0.3 ev high). I'm disappointed as I really wanted to replace the D70 with a D80 for the better viewfinder, larger display, and may other improvements.

In your situation I would buy a used D70s.
Logged
Roy

Hank

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 679
D80 v D200
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 02:01:34 pm »

My wife considered the distinctions between the two for some time, and for her needs settled on the 200 based mostly on metering and toughness.  But in a moment's weakness she ordered a D2Xs instead.  We shoot commercially and use gear fast and hard, and she was mostly thinking of the 80/200 as backup to her fleet of Fujis.  But after using my D2X on a couple of shoots, she relegated the Fujis to backup.

I'm not saying that has much to do with you beyond the 80/200 comparison, but it does intro the topic of Fuji.  For the kind of shooting you describe, it might also be a viable possibility.
Logged

richarddd

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 112
    • flickr photostream
D80 v D200
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 02:22:11 pm »

Morgan_Moore

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2354
    • sammorganmoore.com
D80 v D200
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 02:31:30 pm »

Thanks everyone.

Metering ??

What a bizarre thing to worry about -  I always use manual , take a shot and look at the histo.

No one really putting forward a persuasive argument for the D200 yet.

I spose I also could have said D80 V D200 V D2X

I could get one of those too - but couldnt see where the money was going really v a D200

What I cant afford is 2 D2X s

I recon you shoot faster with 2 bodies than one and two bodies are intrinsically tougher than one

What is the AF like on the 80

S
Logged
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Roy

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 196
    • http://
D80 v D200
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 01:09:42 am »

Quote
Metering ??

What a bizarre thing to worry about -  I always use manual , take a shot and look at the histo.

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130868\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cultural difference I guess. There are those who shoot fast-changing scenes in changing light. I find it bizarre and sad that you denigrate the use of a tool. I'm at home in a studio with a flash meter, or taking my time with a static scene chimping histograms, or on the fly with the camera set on aperture priority hoping for the best.

You should buy a D80. Good camera, bad meter. You don't need a meter.

You do need an appreciation that the things you don't worry about are useful to others. And manners when it comes to posting in a public forum.

You're welcome for the free advice.

Cheers,
Logged
Roy

Morgan_Moore

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2354
    • sammorganmoore.com
D80 v D200
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 02:59:50 am »

Quote
I find it bizarre and sad that you denigrate the use of a tool. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It just has never even occured to me to question the metering quality - the first working cameras of my professional life where FM2s - not exactly techy stuff

I have always believed meters to be no more than a guide - a computer can never know your 'artistic' intention - from silhouette to blown sky

of course I use AorS modes on occasion - like sunny/cloudy sports stadia

I am not denigrating the use of the tool (metering)- what I am looking for is a fatal flaw (for me) in this camera.

(like the fact that the D100 locked up for a week after two shots on RAW - that was its killer FOR ME)

It looks like times have moved on and modern digicams are both super cheap and not flawed

This is good news

The only significant differences (for me) I can see so far are

slower shooting speed

slow change between AFS and AFC (which might be do able with the func button??)

S
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 03:00:30 am by Morgan_Moore »
Logged
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up