I currently use the Epson p2000 but I will be going on a trek in Papua New Guinea for which 40gb will not be enough space (not to mention power supply, but I will post seperately for this). Bringing a laptop will not be an option, and weight/size is a major consideration. Tolerance of humid/wet environments is also an issue.
Does anyone have a suggestion for how to supplement this storage capacity, other than buying another pricey Epson or similar device? About 100gb should be adequate for me. I know there are cheaper pocket hard drives but it seems that a PC is necessary in order to download files to these.
Thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There are several portable hard drives that allow one to install any size laptop (2.5") drive. I own a Vosonic (~$100 w/o drive) and a Digimate II (~$40 w/o drive). I bought the Digimate so that I can have redundant storage while traveling. Stuff breaks.
None of these require a computer. They all have built in card readers.
The Digimate will operate off external power. You could take some D cells and power it for a long time.
Wet/humid should not be a problem. Just keep them dry. Double bagging in plastic bags wouldn't be a bad idea.
If you need lots of storage you might want to carry multiple hard drives. When one gets full switch it out in your PHD(s) for an empty one. Takes just a few minutes to install a drive. Format them all before leaving home.