Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on April 21, 2015, 10:07:16 am
-
Hello All,
I have been exploring hotel and resort photography more and more, and it has come to my realization that I may have to shoot some images handheld. Working on a tripod just may be too limiting for certain types of images.
Whenever I shoot handheld, I prefer to shoot at waist to chest height. (It is just how I like to shoot.) So, with pretty much any camera this would mean bending over and/or squatting, which would eventually lead to a sore back and knees. So I have been thinking about getting a camera with a true waist level view finder.
Well, now that Rollie is done and the Hy6 is no longer an option (not to mention Phase One never made a back with that mount) and P1 does not appeal to ever be releasing an updated DF+ (and even if they will, the chances of it having a waist level VF is slim), I have been fooling with the idea of possibly getting a Mamiya RZ Pro IID. It looks to be a very well made camera with plenty of (leaf shutter) lenses available for it and comes with a nice large bright view finder. Only problem is that it is fully manual.
Not that I care about setting the shutter speed and aperture manually, but focusing has me concerned.
So, for you RZ user, how nice of a focus screen does this camera have? Is it possible to focus quickly and accurately in low light conditions?
Also, it seems this camera is no longer made; is this correct? I can not find a list of lenses made for the camera. Can some post a list that I can review?
Last, it is my assumption that all of the lenses are leaf shutter lenses with 1/400 being the fastest shutter speed. Is this correct?
Joe
-
Why not a Contax 645? Waist level finder is available for it.
The RZ is much bigger and clunkier and not that easy to handhold.
-
To be honest, I would prefer the extra control of having leaf shutters.
How does Hassy V system feel handheld?
-
To be honest, I would prefer the extra control of having leaf shutters.
How does Hassy V system feel handheld?
I have both systems, the Hassy V is much easier to hand hold.
-
What about a mount swap and H system plus WLF? AFAIK is the only system with interchangeable viewfinder, plus Leaf shutter up to 1/800 in all the lenses.
-
That is an idea, however the price of a mount swap is quite high.
Maybe if Phase One does not follow through with a new camera body (that has what I want), I would consider it when/if I upgrade to a new back.
However, upgrading to a new back would involve replacing my SK 35 mm with the Rodie 40mm and probably purchasing the Roddie 32mm. Those would set me back just a little bit.
-
I've loved working with the RZ, it's just a lot of fun. I took it to the beach for a few rolls of film, and purchased by own film holders as I can rent a body locally. If you have a Mamiya mount DB, it may be you best & cheapest option. The viewfinder is crazy huge, and I found it easy to work the focus.
-
I have played around with an RZ before and it's a wonderful camera. However, I wouldn't exactly call it hand holdable.
Also, your choices when it comes to true wides are limited; which might be a problem for interiors.
-
The beneficial thing about the RZ and/or Hasselblad (V) systems is that you can use a WLF with the back in a VERTICAL orientation, where as with the H and Contax mounts, you're stuck in horizontal mode unless you like looking at things hunched over sideways ;)
The RZ, despite being a bit bigger size-wise, IS capable of being handheld. I've worked for a few female photographers who use RZ's(both in the past with film, and still with digital), and they are fully capable of bouncing around most of the day with an RZ in-hand(easier with film, mind you, since you don't need all the "extras" that digital backs require).
As stated above, the widest lens that's really practical for the RZ system is the 50mm ULD. Great lens, but 50mm isn't super wide, especially if you're doing interior work. That's where I'd use the technical/plate cameras and their WA lenses. For "longer" FL uses, where movements might not be as necessary(say in the 90mm+ range), the RZ would be a great complimentary system. The APO lenses(210,250,350) are stellar performers, and IMO, fully capable of working perfectly with all of the latest backs and delivering the optical performance required.
-Dan
-
I've always liked the RZ and the lenses are pretty decent. The most amazing thing about that system is how inexpensive it is. One downside is the weight and bulk of the camera. It seems to work well for film.
-
Also, it seems this camera is no longer made; is this correct?
It is listed as discontinued on the MamiyaLeaf website. I believe it was only discontinued last year though.
-
Also, it seems this camera is no longer made; is this correct? I can not find a list of lenses made for the camera. Can some post a list that I can review?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamiya_RZ67
-
Hi Joe,
We actually have several RZs in stock here at CI, so I've passed this thread along to one of our sales reps. We have sold and own a Rollieflex Hy6, and we're very happy to share the ins and outs of each system with you.
Chris
-
I have played around with an RZ before and it's a wonderful camera. However, I wouldn't exactly call it hand holdable.
Also, your choices when it comes to true wides are limited; which might be a problem for interiors.
Most of our clients who shoot digital backs on Mamiya RZ cameras purchase their digital back in Mamiya 645 interface. That way, it is seamless to go back and forth between a Mamiya RZ for more static situations and a Mamiya/Phase One 645 that allows for a bit more spontaneity as well as wider lens options.
Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
-
I really loved the RZ system. Mine kept needing repair and I started using the AFD body I had as backup. I haven't missed the RZ enough to repair it, so I sold it and have not replaced it. I did enjoy the focusing and composition through the waist-level finder on a tripod. And when I begrudgingly produced a required self portrait posing with a camera, it was my favorite prop.