Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on April 02, 2015, 12:45:59 am

Title: moon
Post by: BobDavid on April 02, 2015, 12:45:59 am
clouds and moon before twilight, b&w conversion in PS6
Title: Re: moon
Post by: stamper on April 02, 2015, 03:36:58 am
I normally wonder why photographers photograph the moon? It doesn't change so there isn't any scope for anything original but now I have changed my mind. In conjunction with the wispy sky it is a fine image. Well done.
Title: Re: moon
Post by: MattNQ on April 02, 2015, 07:21:36 am
I like it - an interesting image indeed, the wispy clouds really create the mood. 
Title: Re: moon
Post by: BobDavid on April 02, 2015, 08:03:00 am
I really thought twice before posting this picture. Everybody takes pictures of the moon. Most photo enthusiasts have taken really nice pictures of the moon. But, I liked the wispy clouds. And it is not so common for the luminance levels of the clouds to be just right so that a single exposure captures a scene like this without underexposing the clouds and overexposing the moon. Converting the photo to B & W with the "red" PS filter enhanced the the tonality.

The photo was taken with an Olympus EM-1, 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro lens with 1.4X tele-extender. I was able to handhold the camera at ISO 200. The EM-1 IBIS is great.
Title: Re: moon
Post by: Tony Jay on April 02, 2015, 08:15:09 am
Nice image Bob!
We all have shots of the moon - mine have been on clear nights though

Tony Jay
Title: Re: moon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 02, 2015, 08:42:35 am
The clouds do really make the image. This is the first moon photo I've seen that is really worth looking at as a work of art (as opposed to "here's what the moon looks like".)
Title: Re: moon
Post by: Bob_B on April 02, 2015, 09:49:58 am
Nice photo! For me, moon photography is all about scene context and not the moon per se. So, the wispy clouds are what draw my eyes to your photo (not the moon itself).
Title: Re: moon
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 02, 2015, 09:52:32 am
I normally wonder why photographers photograph the moon? It doesn't change so there isn't any scope for anything original but now I have changed my mind. In conjunction with the wispy sky it is a fine image. Well done.

I agree. Context is all.

Jeremy
Title: Re: moon
Post by: RSL on April 02, 2015, 09:57:33 am
Absolutely! We want to be sure the moon stays in the sky.
Title: Re: moon
Post by: MattNQ on April 02, 2015, 10:37:02 am
Absolutely! We want to be sure the moon stays in the sky.

Yes. Keep it away from this guy. He will try & steal it.

(https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpmZSRY-9Pn6BD4F1w5_L081mAl-oYhzYACcDwQHijDFjeMEF9pA)

Must be past my bedtime  ;D
Title: Re: moon
Post by: BobDavid on April 02, 2015, 11:50:30 am
Yes. Keep it away from this guy. He will try & steal it.

(https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpmZSRY-9Pn6BD4F1w5_L081mAl-oYhzYACcDwQHijDFjeMEF9pA)

Must be past my bedtime  ;D

Heh!