Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Mike Sellers on February 22, 2015, 11:29:07 am

Title: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: Mike Sellers on February 22, 2015, 11:29:07 am
Can the captures from this 25mp back make good looking prints at maybe 30 or 40 inches?
Mike
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: sailronin on February 22, 2015, 12:18:05 pm
No problem as long as you are careful with your workflow.  I've been using a P30 for 4 or 5 years and it produces beautiful images.
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on February 22, 2015, 02:26:27 pm
Subject might make a difference, combined with viewing distance makes a difference, and as mentioned combined with your workflow. I think that size back makes a native 300 print in 13+x 18+ inches.... But the files are meaty.
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: NickT on February 22, 2015, 04:57:16 pm
Just FYI this is a Kodak chipped 22MP back.
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: ndevlin on February 22, 2015, 10:16:24 pm
Max acceptable print size is both a function of personal taste and image content, so it's very variable.  The P25 produces gorgeous files. They are 'only' 22MPs, but I think most people would think 20x30" prints from it to be gorgeous.  30x40 would be viable on many subjects.  But if this kind of enlargeability is really your need, a P45 or equivalent is probably worth the modest incremental cost.

- N.
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: Chris Livsey on February 23, 2015, 02:35:26 am
a P45 or equivalent is probably worth the modest incremental cost.

- N.

I think that depends on your location. In the UK you can buy two P25 backs for one P45 or one H4D.40 for the same money.
(And import and taxes would increase a non EU price by around 1/3rd)
See another thread re Phase One prices in the UK from dealers.
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 23, 2015, 03:25:07 am
Can the captures from this 25mp back make good looking prints at maybe 30 or 40 inches?

Hi Mike,

Depends on 'good looking'. Prints will look at their best in the 15x20 inch output size range, suitable for close scrutiny (reading distance).

So if you want to go to twice those dimensions, you need to use good upsampling software, and/or increase the viewing distance to twice the reading distance, say 20-25 inches distance. It also helps to use good output sharpening after the upsampling.

To put things into perspective, I've seen images covering a complete wall of exhibition booths, some 2.5 x 3 metres in size, from a single 21 MP 35mm sensor and they looked stunning. Not tack sharp, but stunningly good. Very careful upsampling and sharpening was part of the success. The added viewing distance certainly helped, but even up close, void of artifacts, it looked acceptably good.

I'm not sure if you want to enlarge a single image you already have, or whether you are in the planning phase. In the latter case, consider stitching multiple shots if your subject allows.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: Mike Sellers on February 23, 2015, 08:04:46 am
What advantage does the P45 have over the P39? I am looking to step up to medium format digital.
Mike
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: Paul2660 on February 23, 2015, 09:32:03 am
I don't know of a P39 did you mean P30? 

There are three models to consider in this range.
P30 P45 and P45+

There may have been a P30+ also.

The P30 will not work well with a tech camera as it has exteme micro lenses and on shifting the color cast becomes very hard to correct. These same micro lenses gave the P30 pretty good low light performance (this may be the P30+ as I can't remember if there was a plus model)

The P45 has the Kodak 39MP sensor and is NOT optimized for long exposures. It is a ISO 50 base and not much higher. It should not have tiling issues with shifts.

The P45+ was optimized for long exposures up to 1 hour. 39MP output I believe it was the same chip as the P45 just a different controller and firmware.  Excellent back just has the terrible LCD and interface of the P backs. It will do excellent 1 hour exposures in 69 degrees or less, MUCH better than the newer IQ260. No tiling issues on shifts. A bit tricky on highlights and shadows. Still a great value and considering that the 260 can't come close to it on long exposure the back has held its value. I wish I still has mine sometimes.

None of these backs will tether via USB3 so field tethering is very limited.

Paul
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: Mike Sellers on February 23, 2015, 10:06:22 am
I guess I was thinking about the H3DII-39. So many models!
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: Paul2660 on February 23, 2015, 10:52:41 am
Hello Mike, I forgot the Hasselblad. 

I believe that Hasselblad and Phase used different 39MP chips, albeit both were Kodak 39MP.  At least in the P45+.

Paul
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: torger on February 23, 2015, 11:02:58 am
Hello Mike, I forgot the Hasselblad. 

I believe that Hasselblad and Phase used different 39MP chips, albeit both were Kodak 39MP.  At least in the P45+.

It's the same chip, but look will be quite different as you use Phocus in the Hassy case and C1 in P45+ case. P45+ can do long exposures, Hassy cannot, but the time it can do (1 minute or so I guess) it does with good quality and without any need to wait for a black frame afaik.

The P45+ has a quite high second hand value, while the H3DII-39 should be a lot cheaper. If you don't need the P45+ long exposure and like the Hassy/Phocus look then the H3DII-39 is a good choice, but you shouldn't need to pay that much for it. On my local second hand market (sweden) there's one out now for ~$4.2k (back and body).
Title: Re: Phase One P25 capability
Post by: Chris Valites on February 26, 2015, 05:16:19 pm
The P45+ definitely holds its value well, as that long exposure capability made it a wicked popular back.

As to the print sizes, it also depends on your paper type. I tend to love me a nice matte surface, like a Hahnemuhle photo rag 308. German Etching is also great. On these papers you can get away with a little more upsampling than you can with a gloss.