Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: M.Piq on December 22, 2014, 01:25:30 pm
-
I have a question about dealer representative from Phase One at the LuLa.
How about dealer from Hasselblad or Pentax, or Nikon and Canon at the LuLa?
I can imagine that Nikon dealer would say otherwise that Nikon camera are better than Canon at the same way that dealer from Phase One say that they are better dan Pentax?
Bias? or yust deal between LuLa and Phase One?
-
Boy we live in suspicious times. What can't things just be perceived for what they are? (Shaking his head sadly).
There are a few dealers who frequent this forum because they want to. Whether they are here or not is not something that we have arranged. There is absolutely no commercial relationship between us and any dealer or manufacturer that isn't obvious.
For example. We are a B&H affiliate. They pay us a small commission when someone buys something after visiting this site. It doesn't matter what – just something.
Capture Integration and Digital Transitions are dealers who buy ad space from us. See them at the top of the page? That is the beginning and end of our commercial relationship with them. The fact that they have reps who chat here is completely of their choosing. Any dealer, whether they advertise with us or not is also free to join the conversation.
And by way of full disclosure... Kevin used to be a Vice President at Phase One. He resigned more than a year ago to join LuLa, and is now our publisher. I used to own several Phase One backs, and for that matter cameras. I now choose to shoot with Pentax 645 as my medium format system.
Dealers say what they want about the products that they sell. The only thing that we ask is that they keep their "commercial" promotions within bounds.
In other words... no black helicopters, no hidden deals, no under-the-table handshakes. At LuLa, what you see is what you get.
Michael
-
I find it amazing that a poster who has 10 posts in the last 4-5 years comes out swinging the accusations of bias or what not!?
-
I find it amazing that a poster who has 10 posts in the last 4-5 years comes out swinging the accusations of bias or what not!?
OK Slobodan.
I dont have credibility because I have yust 10 post and Phase One has credibility because he has 5000 post?
You dont mind that you see Phase dealer at every page?
-
I find it amazing that a poster who has 10 posts in the last 4-5 years comes out swinging the accusations of bias or what not!?
+100.
-
Boy we live in suspicious times. What can't things just be perceived for what they are? (Shaking his head sadly).
There are a few dealers who frequent this forum because they want to. Whether they are here or not is not something that we have arranged. There is absolutely no commercial relationship between us and any dealer or manufacturer that isn't obvious.
For example. We are a B&H affiliate. They pay us a small commission when someone buys something after visiting this site. It doesn't matter what – just something.
Capture Integration and Digital Transitions are dealers who buy ad space from us. See them at the top of the page? That is the beginning and end of our commercial relationship with them. The fact that they have reps who chat here is completely of their choosing. Any dealer, whether they advertise with us or not is also free to join the conversation.
And by way of full disclosure... Kevin used to be a Vice President at Phase One. He resigned more than a year ago to join LuLa, and is now our publisher. I used to own several Phase One backs, and for that matter cameras. I now choose to shoot with Pentax 645 as my medium format system.
Dealers say what they want about the products that they sell. The only thing that we ask is that they keep their "commercial" promotions within bounds.
In other words... no black helicopters, no hidden deals, no under-the-table handshakes. At LuLa, what you see is what you get.
Michael
Thank you for your answer. I understand. I dont only understand "boy" because in Europe nobody say again 56 old man BOY. Maybe is this a part of the America traditions.
-
+100.
Wow. 8315 post for +100. Very clever.
-
I dont only understand "boy" because in Europa nobody say again 56 old man BOY.
I don't think Michael was calling you "boy", he was using the word as an idiom: (Oh) boy (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/oh-boy)
-
I don't think Michael was calling you "boy", he was using the word as an idiom: (Oh) boy (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/oh-boy)
I am not familiar with America culture and I yust say that in Europe nobody say this. Actually this is internationally forum, I guess.
-
I find it amazing that a poster who has 10 posts in the last 4-5 years comes out swinging the accusations of bias or what not!?
I didnt mention LuLa about bias.
Michael has that very good understand.
I am talking about bias from dealer. Is this now clear for you?
Actually I asked that Michael and I didnt ask you anything as I know.. O yes you get one more post. I see.
You get more cerdibility.
-
I am not familiar with America culture and I yust say that in Europe nobody say this. Actually this is internationally forum, I guess.
Whilst it might be something of an Americanism, you'll find that it's a phrase in common usage in parts of Europe, such as England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland
-
Whilst it might be something of an Americanism, you'll find that it's a phrase in common usage in parts of Europe, such as England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland
In other side of Europe (Germany,France, Netherlands) is another story.....
-
I didnt mention LuLa about bias.
Michael has that very good understand.
I am talking about bias from dealer. Is this now clear for you?
Actually I asked that Michael and I didnt ask you anything as I know.. O yes you get one more post. I see.
You get more cerdibility.
Check your original post; you did not ask Michael directly, you posted an open question on an open forum. It seems to me it would make more sense for you to go to those Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad and Pentax dealers and ask them why they are not involved here, vs asking at Lula. There doesn't appear to be anything stopping them other than their own effort. I wish there was more presence by industry folks, but that rarely remains civil unfortunately.
My speculation is the value of a potential customer that can be harvested from Lula by Digital Transitions and Capture Integration is significant. Sure they post here because they are knowledgable and offer value to us Lost Struggling Photographers, but I bet they evaluate how much time they put into monitoring and responding to these forums vs. how many customers they bring in from these forums. Salespeople spend time where they will get the most value.
Probably not so much with Canon or Nikon because of normal market dynamics and segmentation. The higher-end equipment requires a higher level of customer support vs. Walmart or Costco selling a Nikon/Canon D710000000xtiRebellish-EOS.
As Michael said, no black helicopters or secret dealings in the back of the restaurant.
Maybe that's another Americanism...
Dave
-
In other side of Europe (Germany,France, Netherlands) is another story.....
You must have noticed that the language of the site is English, so no surprise idioms will be English too. The site might be international by readership, but it is clearly North American by ownership (the founder is Canadian and publisher American). A few obscure idioms will be quickly explained by members, if asked. No need to feel offended.
-
Definition C —used interjectionally to express intensity of feeling <boy, what a game>"
It's similar to saying "wow", but with a negative connotation in this instance.
Michael
-
...
I used to own several Phase One backs, and for that matter cameras. I now choose to shoot with Pentax 645 as my medium format system.
...
This has me curious. What do you see as being the benefit of the 645 system over Phase One?
Were you able to keep any of your lenses or bodies?
-
It is part of what I do to constantly explore what is new and interesting in the industry so that I can write about it. (Kevin does as well now, obviously). Since funds aren't unlimited this means that we sell older gear to purchase new cameras and lenses that interest us.
So, the fact that I had a piece of gear and now no longer do should not be interpreted as a lack of interest in it or as a criticism. It just is the reality of how we operate this site and our review process. We do accept the loan of review samples of new gear, but we do not accept any free equipment. We therefore buy everything at retail that we use long-term.
Michael
-
Well explained…
Erik
Definition C —used interjectionally to express intensity of feeling <boy, what a game>"
It's similar to saying "wow", but with a negative connotation in this instance.
Michael
-
Erik,
I can't help but think there might have been something else you wanted to say...
:)
Dave
-
Hi,
It seems I posted an empty message. Just pushed the wrong button, sorry.
I don't really have issues with dealers posting on this forums. It is normally quite clear which poster are coming from dealers.
Some dealers, like Steve Hendrix, are posting really good info.
Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony et. al. have a different business model and don't rely on dealers. If you want to assemble a good kit of MFD/technical camera stuff, I guess that you need a good dealer. With lesser systems I would say the needs are much lower. There is an awesome amount of information available on test sites like DxO-mark, Photozone or SLRGear, but you need to evaluate that information on your own.
Best regards
Erik
Erik,
I can't help but think there might have been something else you wanted to say...
:)
Dave
-
My two cents. I actually like it when dealers and manufacturer’s rep’s post when it’s in line with answering questions and the like. As long as no hard sales pitch, the more, the better. Case in point is WillH from NEC who occasionally posts here, mostly to help out with technical issues. Often their feedback is unique and invaluable.
-
My two cents. I actually like it when dealers and manufacturer’s rep’s post when it’s in line with answering questions and the like. As long as no hard sales pitch, the more, the better. Case in point is WillH from NEC who occasionally posts here, mostly to help out with technical issues. Often their feedback is unique and invaluable.
Absolutely agree. The help and support from Phase One and Adobe reps in the relevant forums has been of great benefit to anyone interested in their products over the years.
I've been on LuLa from over ten years* now and never come across and blatant or unwanted intrusion from manufacturers or dealers.
From what I've seen there's no editorial bias and Michael has been very open about what connections he's had with various manufacturers. I don't always agree with his opinions, but I DO always respect them as honest.
*Yes, my profile says I joined in 2006, but I was here on a different nickname before LuLa's system hiccuped and made me change my nickname.
-
I have a question about dealer representative from Phase One at the LuLa.
How about dealer from Hasselblad or Pentax, or Nikon and Canon at the LuLa?
I can imagine that Nikon dealer would say otherwise that Nikon camera are better than Canon at the same way that dealer from Phase One say that they are better dan Pentax?
Bias? or yust deal between LuLa and Phase One?
I can't help but think that it is totally up to the company/dealer/person to decide whether or not to join and participate in this or any other forum. As someone else has already noted, Phase and I believe Hasselblad and Adobe are represented here; Nikon, Canon and Sony each have different business models and outside of their own websites are very hard to find anywhere else. The choose to do this - non is keeping them away from here; much like an individual, you choose to join and participate or not. As an individual listen, learn and share but please don't get pissy when someone questions your post.
Sure wish we had a "Like" button....
-
It is part of what I do to constantly explore what is new and interesting in the industry so that I can write about it. (Kevin does as well now, obviously). Since funds aren't unlimited this means that we sell older gear to purchase new cameras and lenses that interest us.
So, the fact that I had a piece of gear and now no longer do should not be interpreted as a lack of interest in it or as a criticism. It just is the reality of how we operate this site and our review process. We do accept the loan of review samples of new gear, but we do not accept any free equipment. We therefore buy everything at retail that we use long-term.
Michael
Thank you for keeping it real and keeping it interesting.
-
Well, Leica takes an interest in what their owners share on the Leica forum. They recently used the forum to let owners of their m9 and MM cameras that may experience a sensor issue that Leica would replace the sensor at no cost. So nothing wrong with helpful manufactures or dealers participating in forums.
Jean-Michel
-
In other side of Europe (Germany,France, Netherlands) is another story.....
In Dutch we'd say 'Ach Jee' (Jee = Jesus) which is the same as Oh Jesus, which is a bit stronger than Oh Boy. And half the world (girls that is, I've heard it in Turkey) uses OMG spelled out.
-
In other side of Europe (Germany,France, Netherlands) is another story.....
Ó jejda (oh boy), now we go from ‘American culture’ to ‘other side of Europe culture’. I think it’s more about ‘your own culture’ and a very weak familiarity with any culture per se. Or, at least you come across as a very poor representative of any. You are right about these forums being international (in English) but you need to do your part and come with adequate language skills rather than blaming others for your own mistakes.
Every nation has its own equivalents to this phrase once you get what it means you should make yourself understood with a Papua New Guinean just perfect on that note. To my surprise even the first on-line dictionary I hit came with two versions in Czech (ach jo, ty bláho) of which the first is fitting better most of the time (the best one is used at the beginning of this post).
-
To answer the original question, I personally find the presence of dealers most welcome.
They are clearly identified and so is their bias.
It's a bit of a romantic European view that everyone has to be totally neutral in public speech. Neutral is perceived as superior to biased.
Except that this view is naive in essence. We all have bias, it doesn't have to prevent us from being fair.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
To answer the original question, I personally find the presence of dealers most welcome.
They are clearly identified and so is their bias.
It's a bit of a romantic European view that everyone has to be totally neutral in public speech. Neutral is perceived as superior to biased.
Except that this view is naive in essence. We all have bias, it doesn't have to prevent us from being fair.
Cheers,
Bernard
That sums it up perfectly. Thanks, Bernard.
-
In other side of Europe (Germany,France, Netherlands) is another story.....
Auf Deutsch: Junge, Junge, was für ein Wetter! Oder: Junge, Junge, da kann ich nur noch mit dem Kopf schütteln.
-
+1
Erik
That sums it up perfectly. Thanks, Bernard.