Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: MM1287 on December 11, 2014, 09:48:02 pm
-
I purchased Wasatch 7.1 and I'm completely regretting it. For the past year I've been printing directly from Photoshop with a small printer and it's been very quick. But since I bought an Epson 7900 and I only have 4 color inks, I was told Wasatch is the best to use so that I'm not forced to use 10 colors. I simply assign each color to whichever slots I want. The problem is the ripping and printing step is unbelievable slow. It takes a minute for each image to rip which is just crazy.
Does anyone know of any other Rip software I can try? Or better yet, a way to fix this problem?
-
There're something I don't quite understand:
Why you use a RIP?
What do you mean by you only have 4 inks?
-
Ink saving - I'd rather use CMYKOG than CMYK, but so or so it should save a lot of ink.
-
I'd assume because you are using a RIP and more unusual printing you are making your own profiles?
If you do just make CMYK profiles and not CMYKOG profiles, the O and G inks will never be invoked. Place a CMYK profile chart and print, make CMYK profile etc.. works fine, even though the environment is CMYKOG. I did it in StudioPrint for very specific purposes. No need to map colors to carts in any unusual way, just leave it. Epson locked the ability to do that out of the RIPs they license to after the x800s anyway.
Tyler
-
aaronchan. The Epson 7900 is a 10 color printer with all of the light colors and an additional orange and green. I'm actually however only using 4 colors, CMYK. I purchased this RIP ONLY for that reason. I was told that since the Epson drivers don't have an option for only CMYK, a RIP will be needed.
Czornyj. I use sublimation inks. My supplier's does not make orange or green. Trust me I would have done that if it was possible.
TylerB. I haven't gotten to the step of making my profile. So far, I've just been testing this software. I have my own equipment so I'll be creating the profiles myself. But I'll be honest...I have only done RGB profiles to be used in Photoshop so I don't quite understand how CMYK profiles work. If I could get out of using Wasatch, and just use Photoshop, I'd go back in a heart beat. But it sounds like CMYK profiles are only being used in RIP software...correct?
-
Czornyj. I use sublimation inks. My supplier's does not make orange or green. Trust me I would have done that if it was possible.
TylerB. I haven't gotten to the step of making my profile. So far, I've just been testing this software. I have my own equipment so I'll be creating the profiles myself. But I'll be honest...I have only done RGB profiles to be used in Photoshop so I don't quite understand how CMYK profiles work. If I could get out of using Wasatch, and just use Photoshop, I'd go back in a heart beat. But it sounds like CMYK profiles are only being used in RIP software...correct?
Yes, it's impossible to drive sublimation converted printer without a RIP. I've calibrated and profiled a couple of such printers under various RIPs - I didn't take much care about the time of print rendering, but it always took a while, and the printing never starts until ripping is completed. Not using 16 bit depth should make things faster, Wasatch also needs a lot of free disk space.
-
OK, now it makes more sense to me since you said you use dye sub ink.
If you are complaining about the speed of the RIP, get a faster computer.
I have used Wasatch, Ergosoft, EFI, ColorBurst....etc they are about on the same page.
Some RIP might let you RIP while Print
Some doesn't
-
Some RIP might let you RIP while Print
Some doesn't
I can't recall a RIP that starts printing before the ripping is completed, but maybe I'm missed something. Ripping another job while printing is another story.
-
I can't recall a RIP that starts printing before the ripping is completed, but maybe I'm missed something. Ripping another job while printing is another story.
Ergosoft most certainly does, though you can set it to wait until RIP completion if you want it's not a default. You have the option of setting up "print clients" (queues) to begin printing at whatever point you like during processing, or bypass and send directly to printer, which will begin almost immediately. I can't speak for other RIPs.
-
...
TylerB. I haven't gotten to the step of making my profile. So far, I've just been testing this software. I have my own equipment so I'll be creating the profiles myself. But I'll be honest...I have only done RGB profiles to be used in Photoshop so I don't quite understand how CMYK profiles work. If I could get out of using Wasatch, and just use Photoshop, I'd go back in a heart beat. But it sounds like CMYK profiles are only being used in RIP software...correct?
I have to tell you there are a LOT of issues to get a handle on CMYK profiling, very different than RGB profiling. It can be done of course, but you'll have to learn individual ink limiting, total ink limiting, black generation, etc.. Some RIPs license the RGB screening from Epson to accommodate an optional RGB color managed path, and use RGB profiles, but that workflow won't allow the individual ink/cart control you want. It will distribute data to each OEM cart position "black box" fashion just like the OEM RGB drivers. So to do what you want you are stuck with using a RIP, and a CMYK setup.
The supplier of your inks and RIP and their distributors should be able to help you get up and going, even possibly some default RIP environments and profiles. If you are totally on your own with this, you have your work cut out for you. Sounds to me like you need, initially, to verify you can set up an environment in this RIP that truly does let you assign colors to carts at will, and shut others off. You won't get any farther until that is established. I'm afraid I don't know the Wasatch, so can't advise more specifically
-
I have to tell you there are a LOT of issues to get a handle on CMYK profiling, very different than RGB profiling.
Amen to that! You have black generation which makes this hugely more complex in terms of profiling options. IF you can send RGB data to the output driver (or as some call it, a RIP although it might not be), that makes life so much easier in terms of color management and profiling. Old saying: Man created CMYK, God RGB; what would you rather use? ;D
-
Wasatch can be set to print before ripping is complete.
If you bought it recently you are under a service contract and I urge you to get as many questions answered before the contract expires.