Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: jhemp on November 16, 2014, 03:40:31 pm

Title: Rodeo!
Post by: jhemp on November 16, 2014, 03:40:31 pm
I was not excited to go and shoot a rodeo, I drug my heals and even tried to think of ways to get out of it.  I imagined inbred hillbilly’s and Nascar jackets.  But what I found was a bunch of BAD ASS cowboys trying to kill themselves by riding thousand pound+ animals.  These guys are some tuff sun-a-bitches.  The atmosphere was like something from a 1950’s Life Magazine. I mainly used my  Sony a99 w/ Sigma 35 1.4 art lens @ ISO 6400.   I've printed some of them up to 24x36in and they are stunning, at least I think so. 

Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 16, 2014, 03:49:28 pm
Good eye + retro toning = bad ass prints!  :)
Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 16, 2014, 04:07:30 pm
Good eye + retro toning = bad ass prints!  :)
Yes. Really captures the mood.
Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 16, 2014, 04:21:52 pm
Good stuff. For a reason I can't quite pinpoint, the fourth appeals to me far more than the others.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: mezzoduomo on November 16, 2014, 07:04:56 pm
Excellent...
Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: RSL on November 16, 2014, 07:31:52 pm
+1
Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 16, 2014, 07:50:30 pm
Good stuff. For a reason I can't quite pinpoint, the fourth appeals to me far more than the others.

Girl? ;)
Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: francois on November 17, 2014, 06:46:08 am
I like the 50's look of these images. My parents used to keep the old Life Magazine editions and also some other mags with rodeo photos. Those four photos remind me when I was a kid and I used to browse through the pages of those mags.
Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: KMRennie on November 17, 2014, 07:43:38 am
Excellent shots. Gives me an impression of being there, thank you.
Ken
Title: Re:
Post by: sid51 on November 20, 2014, 07:59:08 pm
Amazing shots. Congratz!
Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: summernz on December 06, 2014, 09:26:52 pm
Very nice images and yes, they do capture the atmosphere. I very much like the hats in the third image - lovely shape and form!
Title: Re: Rodeo!
Post by: langier on December 08, 2014, 02:56:27 pm
+1 from one who has photographed many, many rodeos throughout my life!