Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: John Hollenberg on August 30, 2014, 09:39:25 pm

Title: NEC MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV -- Repair or Replace?
Post by: John Hollenberg on August 30, 2014, 09:39:25 pm
I have a 5 year old NEC MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV monitor whose screen suddenly went blank (doesn't show anything when turned on, not the NEC logo or the menu).  Is it worth it/possible to repair it, or am I in the market for a new monitor?
Title: Re: NEC MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV -- Repair or Replace?
Post by: digitaldog on August 30, 2014, 09:59:36 pm
After 5 years, and based on some newer and useful technologies with the NEC spectraview's, I'd consider new. If energy savings are important, the newer GBr LED's will save you a lot, they run cooler, get up to temp and calibration really fast.
Title: Re:
Post by: ned on August 31, 2014, 11:21:36 am
Bummer. I was just working with NEC Spectraview support because issues with my Wacom tablet causing communications issues on the USB buss. This caused problems calibrating the monitor. 12000 hours on my 2690 and it still has an excellent calibration. Really like these monitors.
Title: Re: NEC MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV -- Repair or Replace?
Post by: Paul2660 on August 31, 2014, 01:10:09 pm
I own both a 2690 and a 3090, both long in the tooth now.  Both have been serviced under warranty for similar problems, both times NEC sent me a "refurbished" monitor.  Both times the refurbished monitors were problematic in their quality and both went back.  NEC replaced the 3090 with another refurb since the 3090 was no longer manufactured and it works fine.  I ended up with a new 2690 after quite a bit of phone time. 

For a monitor out of warranty, I would head to B&H and get the newer series.  The newer 27" is an excellent monitor and I am saving for their newer 30". 

Paul
Title: Re: NEC MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV -- Repair or Replace?
Post by: Royce Howland on August 31, 2014, 04:20:44 pm
I have a similar vintage NEC 2690, and it's still going strong. If mine packed it in tomorrow, as much as I've liked using it, I would not elect to repair it. Unless I knew it was something ridiculously simple like a blown fuse, I'd instead put the money towards a new 27" or 30" GBr LED backlit model.
Title: Re: NEC MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV -- Repair or Replace?
Post by: stevenf on August 31, 2014, 04:50:57 pm
I am in the same boat. I have a 2690WUXI - the claibration tends to got a bit magenta with the monitor. I believe my monitor is about 7 years old. I am thinking to try and new puck to see if it helps solve the problem. I might get the new PA302W although the price is about $1000 more than the PA272W in Canada. Not sure the extra 3" is worth a $1000.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)
Title: Re: NEC MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV -- Repair or Replace?
Post by: digitaldog on August 31, 2014, 05:19:04 pm
I have a 2690WUXI - the claibration tends to got a bit magenta with the monitor.
If you're using SpectraView, you might be able to correct for that using the x/y white point adjustment in Custom White Point.
Title: Re: NEC MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV -- Repair or Replace?
Post by: stevenf on August 31, 2014, 05:36:30 pm
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try, I am using the Spectraview software. I have another puck I leant to a friend that is newer than the one I am using. I will try it to see if it solves the problem.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)
Title: Re: NEC MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV -- Repair or Replace?
Post by: John Hollenberg on August 31, 2014, 07:31:31 pm
Thanks to all who replied.  I will call NEC next week to make sure there isn't something simple I can do to resurrect the monitor, but if not looks like a new monitor is in my (near) future.