Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Geoffc on August 27, 2014, 10:05:31 pm

Title: Baryta for portfolio prints?
Post by: Geoffc on August 27, 2014, 10:05:31 pm
Hi, I've done a little searching, but haven't found the exact answer I was hoping to.

I want to print a 13x19 portfolio single sided, using screw posts, not sleeves.
I also want to be able to print similar sized prints to hand out loose as "proofs" to architects I work for, essentially fine-art proofs they can actually touch, instead of just viewing on a monitor.

I'm not a printing or paper expert by any means.  I did play with Gold Fibre Silk last year on my R1800 and did love the results, but never moved forward with large volume printing.  I see now that it's no longer being made, many are recommending Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique.

Question:  is this type of paper too delicate (scratch-able) to be viewed and handled in a screw-post portfolio, or in loose format by clients?

Is there some other type of paper I should be looking at, that has a similar fine art feel, semi-gloss, and will hold up to being handled, or is the above Canson just fine?

Thx!
Title: Re: Baryta for portfolio prints?
Post by: pluton on August 30, 2014, 02:41:50 am
I liked the Harmon by Hahnemulle Baryta for its surface(semi-gloss) and color(neutral to slightly cool to my eye), but it always had flatness issues.
Switched to the Canson Baryta, which is slightly warmer, more of a semi-matte, and dead flat sheets so far.
I haven't done a specific surface scratch comparison, but I have a hunch it's somewhat more fragile than the Harmon...kind of like Epson Exhibition Fiber.  If your pictures are nice, maybe a few small scratches won't matter.
Title: Re: Baryta for portfolio prints?
Post by: howardm on August 30, 2014, 08:42:47 am
my experience w/ the Harman/Hahn vs. CAnson is that the HH seems to be more sensitive to scuffing and handling scratches than the Canson.
Title: Re: Baryta for portfolio prints?
Post by: John Caldwell on August 30, 2014, 01:09:11 pm
Spraying with Print Shield improves surface durability of my Canson Baryta prints. I'd use that paper and that spray if I were doing what you are doing.

John Caldwell
Title: Re: Baryta for portfolio prints?
Post by: PhotoEcosse on August 30, 2014, 02:30:20 pm
When I want a baryta paper, my personal choice is Fotospeed Platinum Baryta.

Like you, I used Ifford Gold Fibre Silk and I am delighted that it is being re-introduced (along with Gold Mono Silk and some others), distributed in UK by Tetenal.
Title: Re: Baryta for portfolio prints?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on August 30, 2014, 05:24:26 pm
One non-messy solution might be to put them in polypropylene pages (http://www.archivalmethods.com/product/print-and-slide-pages) that already come pre-punched for 3 ring binders.  I did this for proofs I used to keep at work for people to see.