Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: chuckn on July 27, 2014, 05:32:21 pm
-
Found these waterfalls on a recent backpacking trip. Comments??
Chuck.
-
Interesting jumble of (hyper-processed) colour. Doesn't do much for me as waterfalls, since the waterfalls are not very distinct.
-
Thanks for the comment Terry. What drew me to make this photograph were the many different shaped rocks and the contrast of the plants and water. I mostly wanted to experiment with contrasting color, light and darkness. I agree it's a little over processed.
Chuck.
-
Maybe if you had titled it falling water then it might have been more appropriate? I agree with Chuckn except it isn't over processed.
-
Tough one..
I don't mind the processing and I can see lots of interesting angles and shapes in the rocks, but the shot is a bit scattered IMHO.
Maybe a closer shot or a wider shot ?
-
Chuck - can't say this is a great shot - but has some very nice things in it... but what draws me to it are perhaps the same things you find interesting as in
What drew me to make this photograph were the many different shaped rocks and the contrast of the plants and water. I mostly wanted to experiment with contrasting color, light and darkness
. I like the chiaroscuro...the contrast btw the lights/darks...and the bright planes of the rock faces. I would have definitely shot this too. I think you might consider cropping off the left 2/5ths for a start and see what that looks like. And then trying different crops..."getting tighter". You have two areas of focus... a left and a right...I don't think this helps the images so much. The processing would require a great deal of care in bringing up lights/bringing down darks, selective areas of sharpness on different rock faces, and local color adjustments (bringing down luminance of the greens in upper plants e.g.) - the sort of trial/error work that might take some time and iterations. /B
-
Can you please post the original?
Thanks.
-
Attached are three more images (different angles) of the same set of falls. It was an amazing place, but difficult to photograph.
Chuck.
-
I guess I need to attach these again.
-
I like these vertical versions.
#3 is the standout.
-
I like these vertical versions.
#3 is the standout.
+1
-
I'll go for #3 too. In most of the others my eye goes to the upper right corner and gets stuck there.
-
#3 is the closest for me also, but:
- I think you should have used a PL filter, maybe not at 100% but maybe around 60% to incease saturation,
- the image still feels a bit too symmetric somehow, I would have shot more from the left if possible at all.
Cheers,
Bernard