Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: jiri.koten on July 13, 2014, 04:19:06 pm

Title: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: jiri.koten on July 13, 2014, 04:19:06 pm
Hello,

I wanted to ask, if somebody approximately knows, when LR 6 might be released.

Thank you.

Jiri
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 13, 2014, 05:09:49 pm
I wanted to ask, if somebody approximately knows, when LR 6 might be released.

As has been said on many occasions, here and elsewhere: them as knows won't say; and them as says don't know.

(I paraphrase, introducing bad grammar.)

Jeremy
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: jiri.koten on July 13, 2014, 05:41:26 pm
Thanks for answer. I didn´t want to know some exact date. I ment something like "new version of LR comes out approx. every X years and the last one was released in ...."
Jiri
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: Simon Garrett on July 13, 2014, 05:56:03 pm
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightroom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightroom).  New releases every 1-2 years.  On that basis, LR6 might appear some time in the year or so.  Might.
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2014, 07:07:26 pm
I think the answer is "new version of LR comes out approx. when they are ready to release it."
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: stamper on July 14, 2014, 03:24:38 am
The problem with a new release is that the forum members will have something new to bitch about....just like the previous releases. ;)
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: Rhossydd on July 14, 2014, 04:01:48 am
the forum members will have something new to bitch about
Given the range and sometimes bizarre features requested here, it's impossible to please everyone.
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: jiri.koten on July 14, 2014, 08:08:02 am
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightroom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightroom).  New releases every 1-2 years.  On that basis, LR6 might appear some time in the year or so.  Might.
Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. I have LR3, but bought a new camera, which is not supported any more. I would like to upgrade, ideally to LR6. Basically it means I have to wait for about half a year.
Jiri
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: PhotoEcosse on July 14, 2014, 09:12:26 am
Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. I have LR3, but bought a new camera, which is not supported any more. I would like to upgrade, ideally to LR6. Basically it means I have to wait for about half a year.
Jiri

I don't understand that.

If you need it now, why not get the current version and upgrade it when the next version is released?
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: eliedinur on July 14, 2014, 11:14:09 am
It depends on how great the "need" is. I think all camera makers provide at least a basic Raw converter. And if the OP has foregone LR 4 and 5, he apparently hasn't felt a need for the highest quality conversions. There is also the option to, at least temporarily, shoot (shudder) jpgs.
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: john beardsworth on July 14, 2014, 11:19:07 am
The better temporary option is to use Adobe's free DNG Converter and import the resulting DNGs into Lr3.

There are no signs that Lr6 is imminent.
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: jiri.koten on July 14, 2014, 01:17:18 pm
I can use Olympus Viewer to convert RAW  Tiff or Adobe Converter to convert RAW to DGN. After that I can use LET without problems.

I didn't want to buy LR6 14 days before it would be published. Thats the reason I asked.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

Jiri
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: Chris Kern on July 14, 2014, 05:48:13 pm
I have LR3, but bought a new camera, which is not supported any more. I would like to upgrade, ideally to LR6. Basically it means I have to wait for about half a year.

Maybe I've misunderstood, but my impression has been that for those of us who are Adobe ("Creative Cloud") subscribers, new functionality—including, presumably, support for new cameras—would be rolled out for Lightroom (and ACR) as it became available, rather than having to wait for major versions to be released.  Is that not correct?
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: john beardsworth on July 14, 2014, 06:50:48 pm
It's not correct.
Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: Rick Popham on July 14, 2014, 10:11:51 pm
Maybe I've misunderstood, but my impression has been that for those of us who are Adobe ("Creative Cloud") subscribers, new functionality—including, presumably, support for new cameras—would be rolled out for Lightroom (and ACR) as it became available, rather than having to wait for major versions to be released.  Is that not correct?

So far, support for new cameras has been handled the same as it ever was -- 4 or 5 updates for new cameras during the life of the product.  We still seem to be on ACR 8.x despite the new version of PS, though that may change when the next LR is released.

Title: Re: When will be LR 6 released?
Post by: Glenn NK on July 16, 2014, 10:52:17 pm
I think the answer is "new version of LR comes out approx. when they are ready to release it."

I think this is very well put- because when it's released, it's approximately ready.  ;D