Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on May 04, 2014, 03:52:46 pm

Title: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Chairman Bill on May 04, 2014, 03:52:46 pm
I like swans. One of the most monochrome-ly photogenic birds around. That said, there's other birds that are equally photogenic, and as we've got a thread for trees & clouds & stuff, maybe we should have one for swans & stuff too. So I'll start

Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: RSL on May 04, 2014, 04:13:43 pm
Okay, Bill. I gather we're not confined to monochrome. Here's a snowy egret fishing.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Chairman Bill on May 04, 2014, 04:28:22 pm
Very nice. Where's the hand of man?   ;)
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: RSL on May 04, 2014, 04:41:22 pm
Holding the camera.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 04, 2014, 09:53:46 pm
Holding the camera.
Touché!    :D
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 04, 2014, 10:55:00 pm
Pardon me for reposting something I posted recently in another thread, but I thought it would match nicely the opening b&w shot:

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7399/13799308823_228782dce7.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/n2p4KD)Pelican (https://flic.kr/p/n2p4KD) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/people/20843597@N05/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: stamper on May 05, 2014, 04:11:23 am
Bill you have posted a fine image. Imo getting a good image of a swan is difficult usually because of the difference between the lightness of the swan and the dark background but you have pulled if off.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Chairman Bill on May 05, 2014, 04:22:36 am
Slobodan, that's a beauty.

Stamper - thanks for that. They do need a bit of care with the exposure, and grab shots of this one in flight do have some dodgy highlights, but he was happily displaying threat gestures (how ever endearing his pose is, that's what it s part of) for some time, so I managed a whole series, all nicely exposed, though this was the best pose.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: seamus finn on May 05, 2014, 01:19:01 pm
Here's a robin holding a mayfly

Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: RSL on May 06, 2014, 10:43:12 am
Great timing, Seamus.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: RSL on May 06, 2014, 10:43:59 am
Anhinga drying his wings.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 06, 2014, 04:06:42 pm
Anhinga drying his wings.

Lovely light on the feathers, Russ.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: RSL on May 07, 2014, 11:13:53 am
Had to crop this little guy because I had a short lens on the camera and didn't want to get too close. He'd just been kicked out of the nest. Next day when I walked the river I could hear the mom out in the woods teaching the kid how to hunt.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: francois on May 08, 2014, 08:33:55 am
Here a local swan…
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 08, 2014, 02:38:31 pm
Bustard and lurking hyena.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: seamus finn on May 08, 2014, 04:18:02 pm
That's a great picture - the threat, the menace.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: RSL on May 08, 2014, 04:22:52 pm
+1
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: sdwilsonsct on May 08, 2014, 08:38:59 pm
Lots of good birds here, but Bill's first swan is especially fine.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: RobbieV on May 09, 2014, 06:22:59 pm
7 vultures at sunset.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: seamus finn on May 09, 2014, 08:43:05 pm
That's a five-star shot - I wish I had taken it myself...
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 09, 2014, 08:59:21 pm
Indeed... I love the geometry and even the cyan cast in the roofs and sides. Perhaps applying extra local exposure/shadows to each of the seven. to make them stand out a bit more?
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: luxborealis on May 09, 2014, 09:53:22 pm
I'm a bit late to the party, but better late than never. I've been enjoying some work I did with various egret species in south Florida recently, for the same reasons as have been mentioned - beautiful in monochrome! Here is one of my favourites...
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 10, 2014, 01:28:21 am
Wonderful image, Terry, indeed! Everything a classical B&W should be: great tonal range, warm tone, delicate highlights, rich midtones and deep shadows. And square composition as a bonus. Bravo!
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Chairman Bill on May 10, 2014, 04:09:17 am
I love the egret; superb composition
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: wolfnowl on May 15, 2014, 02:17:54 am
From 2010, but one of my favourite Great Blue Heron images.

Mike.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Chairman Bill on May 15, 2014, 12:02:16 pm
Nice one. The water-weed makes it look like an oil painting
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 15, 2014, 02:18:02 pm
Nice one. The water-weed makes it look like an oil painting

+1. Gorgeous background effect.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 15, 2014, 02:37:28 pm
If you ask, and promise not to be prudish, I'll show you what he was looking at  ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: RobbieV on May 16, 2014, 05:37:48 pm
Thanks! As usual, one of those times when you drive home from a hike with your eyes peeled and things happen right in front of you. Starting to get in the habit of always throwing the telezoom on for the drive home, just in case.

I agree that the birds need more prominance. I'm not sure how to without messing up the already strained pixels there. It's not the greatest lens, althought without it I wouldn't have got the photo at all.

Lux, I echo what others have said. That's a fine shot.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: wolfnowl on May 17, 2014, 01:29:11 am
If you ask, and promise not to be prudish, I'll show you what he was looking at  ;)

I promise. Can't speak for anyone else's prudishness, however...  :)

Mike.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 17, 2014, 02:03:27 pm
I promise. Can't speak for anyone else's prudishness, however...  :)

I'll take you as representative, then.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 17, 2014, 02:17:15 pm
Tsk-tsk, Jeremy, jeopardizing the forum decorum! :P


P.S. Come to think of it, a good advertising for Red Bull?
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Alan Klein on May 18, 2014, 04:02:13 pm
I'm a bit late to the party, but better late than never. I've been enjoying some work I did with various egret species in south Florida recently, for the same reasons as have been mentioned - beautiful in monochrome! Here is one of my favourites...

I like the parallel lines between the bill and foliage and the way the bird follows that line down the photo.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Alan Klein on May 18, 2014, 04:05:15 pm
Here's my swan shot - I think it's better in color.
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4051/5165318223_5f3d60f4f3_z.jpg)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/5165318223/in/set-72157625476289859
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: WalterEG on May 18, 2014, 08:07:32 pm
I am enraptured by your swan shot Alan.  I suspect that this baby does need colour — you're right.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Richowens on May 18, 2014, 11:58:33 pm
Great Egret, about 2006.

 (http://richowens.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds/i-whRjbxQ/0/L/egretinbypass-L.jpg)
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Richowens on May 19, 2014, 12:00:57 am
Mr. Heron looking for Mrs. Heron.
(http://richowens.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds/i-8swT8Bs/0/L/blueheron030806-L.jpg)
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Alan Klein on May 19, 2014, 09:47:12 am
Walt:  Thanks so much.  Alan
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Richowens on May 20, 2014, 10:56:51 am
Alan,
  Thank you for posting your swan shot. I keep coming back to it and appreciating it more each time.

Well done.

Rich
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 21, 2014, 02:51:02 pm
... 'n' stuff (incidentally, what is that bird species?):
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Ronny Nilsen on May 21, 2014, 05:12:04 pm
Wet Capercaillie, raining all night so this bird was really soaked.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: muntanela on May 22, 2014, 01:29:52 am
Wet Capercaillie, raining all night so this bird was really soaked.




 Wow!
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: wolfnowl on June 05, 2014, 01:07:17 am
What we have here is an ugly duckling that did not grow up to be a swan! Pelicans can be beautiful in their own way, though. Especially to a pelican of the opposite sex.
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: wmchauncey on June 05, 2014, 08:11:58 am
I call this "A Family Affair"

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/family-affair-highkey-copy-2.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/family-affair-highkey-copy-2.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Chairman Bill on June 05, 2014, 12:20:55 pm
The capercaillie is superb. The swans photo is wonderfully romantic & gloriously kitsch with the white vignetting - love it
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: wmchauncey on June 05, 2014, 04:42:28 pm

Quote
The swans photo is wonderfully romantic & gloriously kitsch
Bill, I must admit that I was unfamiliar with the word "kitsch"...kinda disappointed when I discovered that it means "low brow".     :-\
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 09, 2014, 03:16:57 pm
Bee eater?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: Chairman Bill on June 10, 2014, 11:56:20 am
Bill, I must admit that I was unfamiliar with the word "kitsch"...kinda disappointed when I discovered that it means "low brow".     :-\
Ah, but it's gloriously kitsch, not any common or garden kitsch. There's a difference. And not so much in terms of being low-brow as overly sentimental
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: ned on June 10, 2014, 01:18:40 pm
Love your swan. It does work well in black and white.

I don't have one image of a swan  :'(   but can offer a blue eyed goose  ;D

(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3891/14388808351_4a0482d38d_c.jpg)
Title: Re: Swans 'n' stuff
Post by: wolfnowl on June 11, 2014, 02:04:02 pm
Bee eater?

Jeremy

Yes.