Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: mironovd on April 17, 2014, 06:21:40 am

Title: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: mironovd on April 17, 2014, 06:21:40 am
Hi all,
I've been using my Sinar eMotion 75LV DB on Hassy H1 for some time, but I was wondering if it is wise to upgrade to H4X. After some research I found that there is no information on 75LV compatibility with H4X. There is extensive user reports on H4X and Phase One and Leaf Credo, there is a comment from Hasselblad on Aptus backs than do not work.
But I did not found any positive or negative evidence that Sinar backs work with 75LV.
Is there anyone here to share experience?

Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: jerome_m on April 21, 2014, 03:37:15 am
I don't think anybody has tried that particular combination, but a decent dealer should be able to let you test yourself. After all: the H4x is advertised for use with third party backs and if it does not work with your back, you are allowed to send it back.
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: mironovd on April 21, 2014, 04:14:45 pm
Thank you for your opinion.
Unfortunately, here in Russia it seems that I will not be able to find such a good dealer because it is common to take all price or some part of it in advance and then deliver the camera. So I'll either loose advance payment or will have to sell camera. That was the point that I was looking for some experience before actually taking my money to dealer...

But either way thanks.
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: Alexey on April 22, 2014, 02:24:24 am
del
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: Alexey on April 22, 2014, 02:25:36 am
Have you asked SVAM himself? He is only one person on the planet who owns both the camera and the back
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: mironovd on April 22, 2014, 03:29:43 am
Only today. I've tried to contact him a week ago or so, but there was a bug with foto.ru, so I could not send message to him (site just froze and did not send anything).
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: jerome_m on April 22, 2014, 01:11:12 pm
Thank you for your opinion.
Unfortunately, here in Russia it seems that I will not be able to find such a good dealer because it is common to take all price or some part of it in advance and then deliver the camera. So I'll either loose advance payment or will have to sell camera. That was the point that I was looking for some experience before actually taking my money to dealer...

But either way thanks.

I could not know you were based in Russia. Still, according to the Hasselblad web site  (http://www.hasselblad.com/about-hasselblad/partner-locator/europe--africa/russia.aspx) there are 3 official dealers in Russia. Theoretically at least, they should honour Hasselblad warranty if they want to stay approved dealers. But if you can contact a local photographer who has the experience of using the same back as you have, it will be much simpler of course.
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: Alexey on April 22, 2014, 02:01:17 pm
Still, according to the Hasselblad web site  (http://www.hasselblad.com/about-hasselblad/partner-locator/europe--africa/russia.aspx) there are 3 official dealers in Russia. Theoretically at least
Here in Russia is everything theoretical))) except vodka, bears and Putin))))
all 3 dealers sold never a h4x
All photographers buy the gear on ebay in USA and Germany, because of high prices in local stores
Local stores have to pay huge customs fees (about 50%)
Local stores sell to organisations (goverment, museums, FSB and so on)
not to ordinary people
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: jerome_m on April 22, 2014, 02:12:33 pm
Here in Russia is everything theoretical))) except vodka, bears and Putin
all 3 dealers sold never a h4x

Maybe, but they should be able to send an email to Göteborg to check out what the mothership thinks about that particular back.
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: Alexey on April 22, 2014, 02:30:47 pm
Maybe, but they should be able to send an email to Göteborg t

they send this man better to hell)))
their goal is "make money" and not  "help"
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: jerome_m on April 22, 2014, 03:14:40 pm
they send this man better to hell)))
their goal is "make money" and not  "help"

Then write to:

Victor Hasselblad AB
Box 220, SE-401 23 Gothenburg
Phone +46 31 10 24 00
Fax +46 31 13 50 74
[email protected]
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: mironovd on April 22, 2014, 04:12:14 pm
Oh, I've written a question to Victor Hasselblad AG once and was told to ask that same dealers... Was really disappointed...
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: mironovd on April 22, 2014, 04:14:24 pm
Yeah. One of them told me: "bring your money and H1, then wait several month and after that you may test if your back works on H4X yourself (and no refunds)".
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: Alexey on April 22, 2014, 11:11:52 pm
How much they want for this upgrade?  I have a brand new H2F for this upgrade)))
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: jerome_m on April 23, 2014, 01:35:58 am
Oh, I've written a question to Victor Hasselblad AG once and was told to ask that same dealers... Was really disappointed...

Yeah. One of them told me: "bring your money and H1, then wait several month and after that you may test if your back works on H4X yourself (and no refunds)".

What I would do in this case is to write, not mail, to Hasselblad in Göteborg. Send the letter registered and use your company letterhead. Explain the unacceptable level of service you get from their local representation and ask them for a workable solution. Write something along these lines:

Sir/Madam,
We are a photographic company based at ..., Russia, currently using Hasselblad products with Sinar eMotion 75LV backs. We are considering replacing our H1 camera(s) with H4x. Unfortunately, we could not find any information whether the H4x works with this particular digital back and the local Hasselblad representations, (insert names), have refused to help us on that particular point. Would it be possible to arrange for a demo of the H4x at a dealer of your choice in Moscow for us to test it with the Sinar eMotion 75LV back?
Yours sincerely,
(signed)


You are buying professional equipment, the company behind it should behave professionally.
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: jerome_m on April 23, 2014, 01:37:30 am
How much they want for this upgrade?  I have a brand new H2F for this upgrade)))

Hasselblad waived the requirements to trade in another camera for a H4x. You can get one without sending your H2F in.

From http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h4x-.aspx (http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h4x-.aspx)

Purchase the H4X now WITHOUT the trade-in.
Offer is valid while stocks last. All prices exclude VAT.

• H4X camera body with CR-123 grip, w/o viewfinder 3.995€
• H4X camera body with CR-123 grip and HV 90x-II viewfinder 4.995€
• H4X camera body with CR-123 grip and HVD 90x viewfinder 4.995€
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: yaya on April 23, 2014, 04:30:55 am
Another option is to talk to Sinar or to SBF...perhaps they already have customers, somewhere in the world, who are using this combo or maybe Sinar have tested it...

Best of luck

Yair
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: Alexey on April 23, 2014, 05:34:25 am
to SBF...

I personally met the owners of SBF ))))hahah they even never held the H system in their hands)))Just diletants
I told to topic caster where to get the info and who really owns both the sinar and the h4x  
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: mironovd on April 23, 2014, 06:42:17 am
I've talked to every dealer already, an to SBF too (they never seen H4X). Only Sava Digital understood what I meant in my question, but they have no info.
And I've send message to the man Alexey1 mentioned, but there is no reply from him. I'm patiently waiting.
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: eronald on April 23, 2014, 09:37:59 am
And everybody tells us how the high prices are justified by the availability and competence of the dealers.

I don't understand why an email to Sinar and Hassy doesn't get the information.
As for the camera itself, I guess a dealer in Sweden or Germany will sell it to you easily, you can go and visit.

Edmund
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: torger on April 23, 2014, 09:54:38 am
And everybody tells us how the high prices are justified by the availability and competence of the dealers.

The problem is that MF can be used in a large amount of use cases, and the dealers are generally specialized in a smaller amount of them. If you're going to use MF professionally and think service is important, the by far best way is to use the latest and greatest, follow the upgrade programs and use the typical camera configurations. Then you can (hopefully) find a dealer that know the goods fairly close to you.

It's very clear in Europe where dealers are very small and need to be specialized at the use cases where the money is. Here in Sweden, homeland of Hasselblad, the V system is practically dead (there's a good deal on the last CFV-50 demo ex from the Swedish dealer if anyone's interested), and I imagine H4x is not often sold either, you use branded Hasselblad H all way through or Phase One 645DF.

If you're a tech cam guy you need to be a do-it-yourselfer and find expertise abroad, you can't expect to get local dealer help. Thanks to my internet activity I get quite a lot inquiries of people that ask me technical questions and advice about the tech cam configuration I use and others, which they then later may buy unseen from a dealer on the other side of the globe. "Always try before buy" as people state on the forums is not exactly followed by everyone, and it would be bad for MF business if people did -- there's a lot more MF interest in various systems and configurations than there is dealer coverage.
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: elrick on April 24, 2014, 02:13:07 pm
torger,

"(there's a good deal on the last CFV-50 demo ex from the Swedish dealer if anyone's interested)." I'm interested. Can you please provide details so that I can follow up with the dealer.

Thanks,
Elrick
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: eronald on April 24, 2014, 04:28:31 pm
An interesting question is "what is the value of an older back with no service attached?". The answer would be quite easy to compute - just subtract the dealer margin, and then divide the price of the the back by 2 again to account for age. Surprise - you get the LL "for sale" price of most older products.

Edmund

The problem is that MF can be used in a large amount of use cases, and the dealers are generally specialized in a smaller amount of them. If you're going to use MF professionally and think service is important, the by far best way is to use the latest and greatest, follow the upgrade programs and use the typical camera configurations. Then you can (hopefully) find a dealer that know the goods fairly close to you.

It's very clear in Europe where dealers are very small and need to be specialized at the use cases where the money is. Here in Sweden, homeland of Hasselblad, the V system is practically dead (there's a good deal on the last CFV-50 demo ex from the Swedish dealer if anyone's interested), and I imagine H4x is not often sold either, you use branded Hasselblad H all way through or Phase One 645DF.

If you're a tech cam guy you need to be a do-it-yourselfer and find expertise abroad, you can't expect to get local dealer help. Thanks to my internet activity I get quite a lot inquiries of people that ask me technical questions and advice about the tech cam configuration I use and others, which they then later may buy unseen from a dealer on the other side of the globe. "Always try before buy" as people state on the forums is not exactly followed by everyone, and it would be bad for MF business if people did -- there's a lot more MF interest in various systems and configurations than there is dealer coverage.
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: torger on April 25, 2014, 04:09:27 am
An interesting question is "what is the value of an older back with no service attached?". The answer would be quite easy to compute - just subtract the dealer margin, and then divide the price of the the back by 2 again to account for age. Surprise - you get the LL "for sale" price of most older products.

Yep, that's what makes MF quite feasible for do-it-yourselfers and risktakers :). You need patience too though, if you desire a specific lens or back it might not be available on the second hand market right now. If you do get a lemon it can become costly and rather painful though, I'm quite a poster boy for that, but in the long term and in a large system you'll save a substantial amount of money by going second hand, so it's a good approach for amateurs.

I'd say it's not for professionals though, due to the risk and wait involved. For a pro I think the by far best way is to either go for the latest and greatest of MF, buying exactly what the local dealer recommends to you, and if that seems too expensive then not use MF at all. Otherwise I don't think MF can live up to the great service and support reputation. I do see quite many professionals actually dealing second hand too, I think they have backup covered in other ways than trusting dealer service though.

The are different "professional personalities", in all business. In my pro business, software development, there are many that outsource all their servers and development platforms, it costs a lot, but you get service and hopefully you don't need to spend any time yourself on the gear and just focus on development. Others, like my own company, buys lower cost standard gear, install and maintain everything by ourselves. Depending a bit on how you count you win or lose money on it (using high cost personnel to do "simple" tasks), but when owning your own business you generally don't count all the hours you work... :)
Title: Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
Post by: Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS on May 13, 2014, 02:20:20 pm
Quote
Hi all,
I've been using my Sinar eMotion 75LV DB on Hassy H1 for some time, but I was wondering if it is wise to upgrade to H4X. After some research I found that there is no information on 75LV compatibility with H4X. There is extensive user reports on H4X and Phase One and Leaf Credo, there is a comment from Hasselblad on Aptus backs than do not work.
But I did not found any positive or negative evidence that Sinar backs work with 75LV.
Is there anyone here to share experience?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The eMotion 75LV was first manufactured in 2006. I am not certain of date it was discontinued. Possibly 2007 with the introduction of the eVolution 75H.
Regarding the H4X; Leaf and Phase both have updated the firmware in their digital backs to accommodate the H4X camera.

Firmware Version 5.11 for Sinarback eMotion 75 was release on August 12, 2010. There is no mention in the readme of updates for the H4X.
Therefore i doubt the compatibity with this camera.
http://www.sinar.ch/en/category/downloads/software-en/

I suggest keeping the H1 for use with your eMotion 75LV.