Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Atina on April 16, 2014, 12:48:26 pm

Title: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Atina on April 16, 2014, 12:48:26 pm
With the introduction of CMOS sensors into the medium-format world, what does the future look like for CCD sensors?

In your view, is there a CCD look or is it something that is vastly overvalued?

Is CMOS in your future or are you one of the photographers who is not so impressed with the latest CMOS medium-format sensor offerings?

What is your view in general about the impressions of other photographers about the CMOS sensors? Is the problem only the price? Do you predict a good future or a serious flop of the new equipment?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: fotagf8 on April 16, 2014, 01:40:26 pm
I understand the advantages of CMOS sensors, particularly if you are shooting sports or street photography or concerts, but for lots of landscape and architectural photography, I am not sure that those advantages are all that important.  To the extent medium format cameras are larger than DSLRs, the camera is likely an impediment in street and sports photography.  There is also the question of whether using the camera hand-held (which becomes more likely with a CMOS sensor) will be satisfactory to photographers who want sharp photos without visible camera shake.
Title: CCD Sensors: no remaining advantages, some clear disadvantages
Post by: BJL on April 16, 2014, 01:53:32 pm
I understand the advantages of CMOS sensors, particularly if you are shooting sports or street photography or concerts, but for lots of landscape and architectural photography, I am not sure that those advantages are all that important.
Putting aside some very bogus comparisons that mix together many other differences along with the sensor type, this seems to be the only remaining argument against switching from CCD to CMOS: that its advantages are less important in some case than others.  But with some clear upsides to CMOS and no real downsides, the change seems inevitable, and the recent adoption of CMOS by Leica, Phase One and Hasselblad along with the total abandonment of CCDs in all other systems in 35mm format and smaller should make it clear which way the wind is blowing.

What is more, some advantages of modern CMOS sensors are useful also for some landscape and architectural photography, such as increased dynamic range (through far lower dark noise) and magnified live view for tasks like careful manual focusing at off-center points.

P. S. As other posts have mentioned, I overlooked one current advantage of CCDs: being available in sizes larger than 36x24mm 44x33mm.  I will not speculate if and when a CMOS sensor maker like Sony will venture into that territory; it might be that the larger formats will remain "too niche" for CMOS (which seems to require larger production volumes to cover higher fixed costs like R&D), which could mean that the largest format "low ISO speed tripod cameras" stay with CCDs.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 16, 2014, 02:43:49 pm
Hi,

It doesn't seem that CCDs have any advantage over CMOS, possibly except astronomical applications where they are cooled with liquid nitrogen.

Well, except they are made in larger sizes… Also, it may be that they may work better with large beam angles, but that may also change.

Best regards
Erik

With the introduction of CMOS sensors into the medium-format world, what does the future look like for CCD sensors?

In your view, is there a CCD look or is it something that is vastly overvalued?

Is CMOS in your future or are you one of the photographers who is not so impressed with the latest CMOS medium-format sensor offerings?

What is your view in general about the impressions of other photographers about the CMOS sensors? Is the problem only the price? Do you predict a good future or a serious flop of the new equipment?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 16, 2014, 03:52:22 pm
I don't believe there is a real difference in colors between CCD and CMOS.
CCD has an advantage right now in having very large sensors available.
If they could make 100MP 53x40mm CMOS sensors at reasonable cost, I don't think they would be introducing new CCD backs after that.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: EricWHiss on April 16, 2014, 04:03:27 pm
The differences may well chalk up to design directives not what is in theory possible with each platform.  What I mean is it seems most CMOS based sensors are designed with the primary goals of achieving higher ISO capabilities plus video or at least live view.    CCD sensors seem to have goals of achieving the best possible IQ at base ISO. All IMHO of course.   

When I look at the full res samples from the pentax 645z and the IQ 250, I really don't think the same crispness at the pixel level is achieved as with the CCD sensors but I can't say why.    I don't agree with others who say that these CMOS sensors are better files in every way.  I see pluses and minuses.  The big plus is of course the video possibility and the few stops more usable ISO.   
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Jim Kasson on April 16, 2014, 04:41:32 pm
It doesn't seem that CCDs have any advantage over CMOS, possibly except astronomical applications where they are cooled with liquid nitrogen.

Well, except they are made in larger sizes… Also, it may be that they may work better with large beam angles, but that may also change.

The large size is a reason that CCDs are used in large astronomical telescopes, since there's a limit to how small the sensels can be even without regard to their light-gathering capacity. Atmospheric turbulence causes distant point sources to spread to 0.4 arc-second disks at even the best locations. For a 2-meter f/6 telescope, that means that pixels smaller than 12 microns on a side won't help the resolution. Thus the way to get decent resolution is to make the chips, or chip assemblies, big. A 4096x4096 chip with a 12-micron pitch would have an active surface that would measure almost 2 inches on a side.

Here's a 4Kx4K chip used in astronomy that uses a 15 micron sensel pitch.

http://www.fairchildimaging.com/catalog/focal-plane-arrays/ccd/ccd-6161

OK, I admit it's off-topic, but it's kinda fun.

Jim
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Telecaster on April 16, 2014, 04:52:17 pm
I'm inclined to buy into the idea that Color Filter Array differences have more impact on perceived image quality & tonality than inherent differences between CCD & CMOS sensors. I will say that my prefered digital-era tonality comes mostly from cameras with CCDs. Nikon D70, Pentax K100D & Epson R-D1 (all using variants of the same Sony 6mp sensor), Nikon D80 & Pentax K10D (same 10mp sensor) and more recently a Pentax 645D and secondhand Leica M8(.2). These cameras all produce RAW files with distinct hues as opposed to the more "global" (as BCooter aptly puts it) color of many/most other cameras. My guess is the CFAs used in these cameras are relatively narrowband in their light transmission. It is possible to get this look with CMOS too...the Olympus E-M5 is an example.

Last week I did a comparison between my Sony A7r and M8, a Zeiss 21mm on the Sony and a Voigtländer 15mm on the Leica (for a near-identical field-of-view). Various outdoor scenes in my neighborhood. In terms of sheer detail the Sony comes out on top, of course (though the M8's per-pixel resolving capability is impressively high), but tonally the Leica has a clarity & separation the Sony lacks. I can make the Sony look kinda like the M8 in post, but its files lack that extra bit of chromatic zing. I suspect the A7r may soon end up with an acquaintance while the M8 may soon be joined by a backup.

-Dave-
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 16, 2014, 05:04:21 pm
Where can you see ISO 100 short exposure files from IQ250?

I don't think Pentax is the right comparison, and high iso and long exposure files should not be the base to compare the best that that back can do.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 16, 2014, 05:12:56 pm
Where can you see ISO 100 short exposure files from IQ250?

I don't think Pentax is the right comparison, and high iso and long exposure files should not be the base to compare the best that that back can do.

As a dealer we maintain a large library of sample raw files for our customers to use for evaluation, and for our own research/knowledge. I imagine other dealers do as well, but cannot speak on their behalf. I have IQ250 raw files from the weddings I've shot it, our tech camera testing (https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-testing/phase-one-iq250-tech-camera-testing), several customer tests (with their permission of course), and some technical comparisons we've done.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 12:27:35 am
In the link that you provided the downloads are dead.

Can you please provide other links to pages where you can download raw files of ISO 100 images with full studio lighting?

The only short exposure ISO 100 image I could find did not look very good.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 17, 2014, 02:31:12 am
Hi,

Technically both CCD and CMOS are monochrome devices collecting electrons. The major parameters are what is called full well capacity (FWC), the number of electrons a sensel can hold and the readout noise. So CCD or CMOS has no effect on colour at all. Colour rendition is determined by the CFA array and some math.

FWC determines noise at medium exposure levels, and that noise is almost entirely dependent on statistical distribution of light.

CMOS can do some tricks:

1) It can measure remaining charge after reset and before exposure and subtract it from recorded exposure. It is called correlated double sampling. All CMOS sensors do that.

2) Many sensors use on chip converters, 6000-8000 of them. These can work in parallel and therefore they can have long integration times. Sony sensors have this and so does the CMOSIS chip on Leica. On chip converters seem to have very low noise. Many cameras use Sony sensors and other firms also have on chip converters. Nikon D3, D3s, D4 and all Canon DSLRs use off chip conversion, giving up significant DR at low ISO and gaining some sensivity.

CFA design varies a lot, this article offers some insight: http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/Metameric_Error.pdf

Different makers can build different CFA-s.

The major advantage of CMOS over CCDs is the reduced readout noise, especially with on chip converters. On chip converters simply output numbers, while CCD needs complex readout electronics and of chip ADCs.

Personally, I have experience of both CCD and CMOS devices:

CCD: Minolta Dimage 7D, Sony Alpha 100 and Phase One P45+
CMOS: Sony Alpha 700, 900, 55, 77, and 99

Regarding colour rendition, it may be highly personal. What I can say that there is not a lot of difference between my most used cameras right now, the Sony Alpha 99 and the P45+ if both are processed using the same raw processor using DNG profiles generated the same way and identical white balance.

So, what I can say that there is little technical explanation of any advantage of CCDs over CMOS, and this is consistent with my own experience.

But, I am an engineer and no great artist…

Best regards
Erik



I don't believe there is a real difference in colors between CCD and CMOS.
CCD has an advantage right now in having very large sensors available.
If they could make 100MP 53x40mm CMOS sensors at reasonable cost, I don't think they would be introducing new CCD backs after that.

Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 17, 2014, 08:41:10 am
In the link that you provided the downloads are dead.

Can you please provide other links to pages where you can download raw files of ISO 100 images with full studio lighting?

The only short exposure ISO 100 image I could find did not look very good.

We are in the midst of changing from Dropbox to google drive. Until this is complete the links will remain publicly unavailable. After completing the switch to Google Drive we will have all the previous samples back up as well as several new raw samples. In the meantime our customers can email me and I'll gladly provide a manual share. In the meantime, please contact your local dealer to work with them from their inventory of sample and test files.

I honestly can't imagine what shot from the iq250 you could possibly have seen in raw format and not been impressed.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: michael on April 17, 2014, 08:49:47 am
Thanks for your input Eric. I was told by a senior MF back designer a few years ago that CCDs and CMOS don't differ re colour. As you say, it's the CFA and other factors.

Time to put that myth to bed.

Michael
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 08:58:08 am
I'm not really in the market for a new back right now.
I saw one example of an outside shot jpg that looked pretty Canonny to me. I'm mot sure I can find it again.
But that doesn't interest me - I will wait until somone releases studio shots of ISO 100 still objects, hopefully alongside IQ180/280 ISO35, so we can compare best/best.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 17, 2014, 09:08:46 am
I'm not really in the market for a new back right now.
I saw one example of an outside shot jpg that looked pretty Canonny to me. I'm mot sure I can find it again.
But that doesn't interest me - I will wait until somone releases studio shots of ISO 100 still objects, hopefully alongside IQ180/280 ISO35, so we can compare best/best.


We have done several such comparisons including a rather nice food shoot.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 09:09:58 am
Is it available on your website as jpg?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 17, 2014, 09:14:29 am
Thanks for your input Eric. I was told by a senior MF back designer a few years ago that CCDs and CMOS don't differ re colour. As you say, it's the CFA and other factors.

Time to put that myth to bed.

Michael

Michael,
 There are two different questions:
 1. Is *ideal* CMOS different from ideal CCD?
 2. Is *real* CMOS different from real CCD.

You say no to 1. I would agree that they are reasonably close - you need to remember that different CCD technologies are actually quite different eg. in the spectral sensitivity of the base process, even before CFA color filtering.

Regarding 2, My impression is that most *existing* CMOS implementations have been more strongly digitally filtered than their CCD counterparts, and the result is bad skin tone (the plastic wrap look). This does not appear to be a basic color issue, objects usually photograph well with the same cameras. Maybe the new Sony CMOS is closer to clean. Obviously, CMOS can do a lot more tricks, but a CMOS chip that has warmed from normal use of liveview is going to be much noisier than a cold CCD that *cannot* do liveview... in the real world.

People used to shoot Ektachrome or Kodachrome depending on the look they wanted, I see no reason to assume one size will suddenly fit all just because the physics of capturing a momentary slice of light has been shoehorned into direct digital output.  

As to my qualifications - what can I say? I used to be a scientist, but when it comes to images I say lab measurement should be used to confirm and explain subjective impression rather than replace it. Color is not a physical entity in its own right, it is an evoked sensation.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 17, 2014, 09:30:15 am
Hi,

I guess that some of the "plastic wrap look" may come from the low noise of CMOS.

The Alpha 99 I have has electronic viewfinder and thus uses the sensor full time, but it has significantly less noise than my P45+ in real world outdoor shoots (with matching raw histograms).

On a DSLR the use of live view is optional. Some MF CCD sensors do have live view.

I can't say I can see a lot of difference between P45+ and Sony Alpha 99 in A2 size prints. I can't actually tell them apart on real world subjects. At larger sizes I'm pretty sure that the 39 MP advantage of the P45+ over 24 MP from the Alpha 99 shows.

Best regards
Erik


Michael,
 There are two different questions:
 1. Is *ideal* CMOS different from ideal CCD?
 2. Is *real* CMOS different from real CCD.

You say no to 1.

Regarding 2, My impression is that most *existing* CMOS implementations have been more strongly digitally filtered than their CCD counterparts, and the result is bad skin tone (the plastic wrap look). Maybe the new Sony CMOS is closer to clean. Obviously, CMOS can do a lot more tricks, but a CMOS chip that has warmed from liveview is going to be much noisier than a cold CCD ... in the real world.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 09:58:11 am
The ideal look is not important.
What is important is the real look under best conditions.
You can also make comparisons under harsh conditions, but then they apply only to those specific conditions.

The models you quoted are not best of breed, so I would not use them to come to a conclusion.
P45 is using the old Kodak sensor, and we know very well that the DALSA sensors produce better images.
We also know that the IQ/Credo produces better images than P/Aptus, so that is what needs to be compared.

Comparing 5-6 years old technologies maybe gives us a picture of what was right then, but we want to know the answer that is applicable today, considering what the relevant companies are actually making.

I believe the plastic wrap look is a result of exaggerated noise reduction, not of naturally low noise in CMOS.
When you are comparing a Canon image to a Leaf image, you are not only comparing CCD to CMOS, but also the two companies very different approaches to noise reduction and general rendering.

If Doug would feel generous, he could release to us a couple of images by IQ CMOS and IQ CCD using controlled lighting and the lowest ISO each back does, and then we will know what is best right now.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 17, 2014, 10:09:42 am
Hi,

Just to make it clear, I did compare what I have. The P45+ may be old, but it still costs 5X the Alpha 99. It also has 2.1X times the area of the Sony Alpha 99 sensor, giving it a significant advantage.

Canon doesn't do noise suppression on raw images, BTW. They do CDS but that is not noise reduction. Anyway I don't have any Canon.

That said, Doug did publish a comparison between IQ 260, 280 and 250 in the library shots.

Chris Barret was kind enough to share a comparison between Sony A7r and IQ 260.

All those files were available as raws.

My interpretation was that the CMOS sensors outperformed the CCD-s by a clear margin, but in both cases it was contrast lighting, making demands on DR.

Here are the threads:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=87187.80

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=84842.0

If you have better data, you are most welcome to share!

Best regards
Erik

The ideal look is not important.
What is important is the real look under best conditions.
You can also make comparisons under harsh conditions, but then they apply only to those specific conditions.

The models you quoted are not best of breed, so I would not use them to come to a conclusion.
P45 is using the old Kodak sensor, and we know very well that the DALSA sensors produce better images.
We also know that the IQ/Credo produces better images than P/Aptus, so that is what needs to be compared.

Comparing 5-6 years old technologies maybe gives us a picture of what was right then, but we want to know the answer that is applicable today, considering what the relevant companies are actually making.

I believe the plastic wrap look is a result of exaggerated noise reduction, not of naturally low noise in CMOS.
When you are comparing a Canon image to a Leaf image, you are not only comparing CCD to CMOS, but also the two companies very different approaches to noise reduction and general rendering.

If Doug would feel generous, he could release to us a couple of images by IQ CMOS and IQ CCD using controlled lighting and the lowest ISO each back does, and then we will know what is best right now.

Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 10:15:27 am
You you please show me where those files are available?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Paul2660 on April 17, 2014, 10:27:05 am
You you please show me where those files are available?

DT about 1 month ago did a sweep series on the IQ250 and posted the results on their blog.  You can find the 250 sweep here:

https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/iq250-iso-sweep (https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/iq250-iso-sweep)

On the same day DT did the same series with the IQ260, I don't believe these images were posted, but you can email Doug for them.  It's basically what you are looking for, and these are the raw files, so you can apply the amounts of noise reduction you wish. 

Paul
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 10:50:28 am
The point Doug was making is that these files are available on request to his clients only, meaning not for the clients of the other guy.
Also the file posted is a compound jpg from several different exposures.
I think a couple of 1-1 jpgs posted here would put this argument to rest.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Paul2660 on April 17, 2014, 11:00:26 am
I was able to look at the files being a client.  The images are pretty telling, in that you can see the IQ250 will easily hold up to 1600 ISO before you really start to see a lot of detail loss.  Where as the IQ260 pretty much was maxed out by iso 400, in the shadows.  ISO 800 was pretty much gone there.  However I was able to get some of the image back using some of the topaz filters.

After spending wayyy to much time on this lately, I have no doubt that the IQ250 far exceeds any of the current IQ CCD backs, in regards to DR range, highlight to shadows.  You can pull about as much detail from the IQ250 iso 800 image as you can from a IQ260 iso 100 image.  The IQ260 does go to one lower stop, 50, but pushing a CCD much past 1.5 stops from base ISO seems pretty pointless.

I had hoped that Phase One would be able to do more with the IQ260 images in the long exposure mode, when using ISO 400 and even 800, but from the use of my 260, it's just not there.  You might see just a tad of difference, but really most times not enough to matter.

I will let the experts talk to color as both chips, Dalso in the IQ260 and Sony in the 250 seem to do a very good job here.  But on noise and shadow detail, the 250 wins hands down.

Paul
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 11:05:31 am
I don't see the point in comparing iso 1600 - it's pretty much a foregone conclusion CMOS will be better.

What I would like to know is how IQ iso 35 compares to CMOS iso 100, both properly lit.
Meaning - is there any loss moving to CMOS under the best conditions?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 17, 2014, 11:29:36 am
Hi,

This is from Doug's test.

Left IQ250 at 100 ISO right IQ280 at 35 ISO

Exposure pushed 3.0 EV on both in C1, no noise reduction on either and no sharpening.

Best regards
Erik

I don't see the point in comparing iso 1600 - it's pretty much a foregone conclusion CMOS will be better.

What I would like to know is how IQ iso 35 compares to CMOS iso 100, both properly lit.
Meaning - is there any loss moving to CMOS under the best conditions?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 11:37:48 am
1. These files are pushed!
2. This is a comparison intended for noise aspects.
3. Screen capture is not a complete file.

If you want to settle this discussion, you need one jpg (save as jpg 12) from each back, no pushing or any modification, under the best conditions - in studio lowest iso perfect lighting.

This gives you the baseline - the best from one back compare to the best from the other back.
After that you can compare pushing or high iso or highlights or lowlights or any other extreme that you like.

But where is the best image from 1, and the best image from 2 - each in its own jpg?
I would expect a studio photographer to get the lighting right in most cases, so you want the "best" comparison, but also you want to know what happens if you don't get the best lighting - that is a second and different comparison. I'm seeing only the second comparison.
If I went only by the second comparison, I would buy a Canon (until now, maybe now they can beat Canon/Nikon).
The high iso/pushing comparison should be against D800, not against IQ160 which will lose for sure.

If they made a back that can do =IQ160 in perfect conditions, and =D800 in bad conditions, then it is a winner.
Maybe it is, I'm not saying it's not, but I'm not seeing any files yet to tell me.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 17, 2014, 11:44:57 am
Hi,

Pushing the image shows the capability of the sensor to reproduce shadow detail.

Not everyone is shooting in studio in perfect lighting, that is the easiest case for any camera. Anyway these are the best comparisons I have seen between the IQ series backs.

Best regards
Erik

1. These files are pushed!
2. This is a comparison intended for noise aspects.
3. Screen capture is not a complete file.

If you want to settle this discussion, you need one jpg (save as jpg 12) from each back, no pushing or any modification, under the best conditions - in studio lowest iso perfect lighting.

This gives you the baseline - the best from one back compare to the best from the other back.
After that you can compare pushing or high iso or highlights or lowlights or any other extreme that you like.

But where is the best image from 1, and the best image from 2 - each in its own jpg?
I would expect a studio photographer to get the lighting right in most cases, so you want the "best" comparison, but also you want to know what happens if you don't get the best lighting - that is a second and different comparison. I'm seeing only the second comparison.
If I went only by the second comparison, I would buy a Canon (until now, maybe now they can beat Canon).
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 11:47:17 am
Not everyone is shooting in studio in perfect lighting, that is the easiest case for any camera. Anyway these are the best comparisons I have seen between the IQ series backs.

Of course not everyone, but let's agree this is a very significant segment of the back clients.
If we compare what is easiest for the camera, between Canon/Nikon and IQ/Leaf, then the latter wins, and this is the reason I own it.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 17, 2014, 12:13:14 pm
 In a way, this whole discussion is irrelevant.

 Phase and Hassy killed CCD.

 They overpriced their product and underinvested in new chip and body developments, taxed their customers like a monopolist and pressured their chip suppliers for the best price.  The suppliers reacted by recycling their existing designs as far as they could take them without major reinvestment.

 During the same period, Sony used the money from their sensor foundry to create a fountain of new chips which are actually drop-in modules, and are used by the whole industry - nobody was stopping Dalsa and Kodak from going the same way.

 As a result we have a super-modern CMOS all-singing all-dancing design fighting it out with geriatric 5 year old MF CCDs. There is no state of the art all-digital MF CCD with on-chip A/D available - in fact one can argue that Phase and Hassy wanted there to be none because it would have been a drop-in camera. Set me right if I'm wrong. I for one believe that MF-CCD was a perfectly good technology that was pushed into irrelevance by greed.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 17, 2014, 12:26:05 pm
The point Doug was making is that these files are available on request to his clients only, meaning not for the clients of the other guy.
Also the file posted is a compound jpg from several different exposures.
I think a couple of 1-1 jpgs posted here would put this argument to rest.

We have, and will again in the future, make these (and more) available for public download.

As I said *at the moment* we are changing storage systems from Dropbox to google drive, so the process of sharing is time consuming and hence I can only offer to do this for our clients. We have 300gb of sample and test files spanning nearly every back for every genre, so the switch in storage system for our small company is no overnight thing. When the switch is complete we will update the public links already there and add some new files (including skintone from the weddings I've shot with the iq250). We will never post our entire catalog publicly for any number of practical and business reasons.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 12:28:36 pm
I think we can wait - it's not exactly a matter of life and death.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 12:59:43 pm
In a way, this whole discussion is irrelevant.

 Phase and Hassy killed CCD.

 They overpriced their product and underinvested in new chip and body developments, taxed their customers like a monopolist and pressured their chip suppliers for the best price.  The suppliers reacted by recycling their existing designs as far as they could take them without major reinvestment.

 During the same period, Sony used the money from their sensor foundry to create a fountain of new chips which are actually drop-in modules, and are used by the whole industry - nobody was stopping Dalsa and Kodak from going the same way.

 As a result we have a super-modern CMOS all-singing all-dancing design fighting it out with geriatric 5 year old MF CCDs. There is no state of the art all-digital MF CCD with on-chip A/D available - in fact one can argue that Phase and Hassy wanted there to be none because it would have been a drop-in camera. Set me right if I'm wrong. I for one believe that MF-CCD was a perfectly good technology that was pushed into irrelevance by greed.

Edmund


I don't think it makes a very big difference to phase/hass where they get their sensors - other than how much they pay for them, of course. If the sensor is good and the price is good, they will take it. Why should they, or us for that matter, care whether CCD lives or dies? Is there anything special in CCD that isn't in CMOS? (I don't know)

If A/D is on chip or on board, does that make a difference for the end user? (I don't know)

I'm sure what you said about putting the money back into r&d is correct - but what does it matter? Phase is not a charity organization. In their market segment, I am amazed that they could survive and continue to pay salaries to their employees and provide support for their clients. Almost all other MF firms went under. Let's agree  that keeping the company alive is a pretty good goal. Some investors gut the company, sell off the ingredients and ho home.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 17, 2014, 01:52:14 pm
deleted
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: uaiomex on April 17, 2014, 02:20:32 pm
But many CCD lovers claim is "the ccd look". Whatever that is.
Eduardo

Hi,

It doesn't seem that CCDs have any advantage over CMOS, possibly except astronomical applications where they are cooled with liquid nitrogen.

Well, except they are made in larger sizes… Also, it may be that they may work better with large beam angles, but that may also change.

Best regards
Erik

Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Manoli on April 17, 2014, 02:30:12 pm
Phase is not a charity organisation [...] I am amazed that they could survive

Did they ?
As you knew them, they didn't. Predatory pricing brought its own rewards.

Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 17, 2014, 04:22:37 pm
Hi,

Regarding on chip AD conversion, they have two advantages:

Noise levels are much lower, the best MFD CCDs perhaps have something like 12 electron charges of readout noise, the best on chip ADCs can reach around 3 electron charges. That means that deep shadows on CMOS with on chip ADCs have four times less shadow noise and ten therefore to have two stops extra dynamic range. A larger sensor has a natural advantage the IQ 280 has 69% larger area than the IQ 250, and that helps a bit.

The other great advantage of on chip AD-s is that the sensor vendor handles everything. The signal from the sensor is a digital one, immune to noise.

Mid tones are dominated by shot noise, that is pretty much dependent on sensor size and not much else, if exposure is optimal.

Highlights can have a noise caused by pixel non-uniformity. This factor would also get better on CMOS, I guess, as more modern technology is used and tighter design rules are employed.

And advantage of CCDs used to be fill factor, but modern CCDs seem to be needing micro lenses (both the IQ-260 and the IQ-280 use microlenses) so CCD fill factor is obviously not near 100%.

As a side note on the sample files. Capture One uses different defaults of sharpening and noise reduction for different sensors. I disabled sharpening and noise reduction on both images I have posted.

Best regards
Erik

I don't think it makes a very big difference to phase/hass where they get their sensors - other than how much they pay for them, of course. If the sensor is good and the price is good, they will take it. Why should they, or us for that matter, care whether CCD lives or dies? Is there anything special in CCD that isn't in CMOS? (I don't know)

If A/D is on chip or on board, does that make a difference for the end user? (I don't know)

I'm sure what you said about putting the money back into r&d is correct - but what does it matter? Phase is not a charity organization. In their market segment, I am amazed that they could survive and continue to pay salaries to their employees and provide support for their clients. Almost all other MF firms went under. Let's agree  that keeping the company alive is a pretty good goal. Some investors gut the company, sell off the ingredients and ho home.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 17, 2014, 04:30:02 pm
Is the only reason there is no AD on chip CCD, that they didn't invest the time in r&d?

Other than the location of the AD, is there any other reason CCD will produce a different image than CMOS? Maybe the famous differences everybody are talking about, come from the different ADC?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 17, 2014, 04:49:52 pm
Hi,

The reason that CCDs don't do on chip ADC is mainly that the chips work differently. CMOS just measures a voltage, while the CCD pops the electrons from cell to cell. So a cell is popped several thousands of times before it is read out. Reading a CCD pixel is destructive, it can only be read once. CMOS can be read any number of times. This is used in CDS (Correlated Double Sampling) which is used on CMOS to eliminate reset noise.

Another problem with CCDs used to be that they heat up. Each pixel is first shifted downwards several thousand times and than shifted horisontally several thousand times. The areas nearest to the preamps feeding the ADC-s heat up.

Another practical advantage of CMOS over CCD is that complex circuitry can be built into the sensor as CMOS construction is normally used for processing type logic. So lot of technology that is practical with CMOS is not practical with CCDs. But, CMOS is more difficult to make, needs better processing facilities and tighter design rules, so CMOS needs higher investments in processing facilities. No small scale business.

Regarding ADCs, they just take an analogue signal like 10 micro volts and convert in a number. There are only two ways to do it, correctly or not. Off sensor ADC-s need to handle a lot of conversions each second. Say we have 6 readout channels and 39 MP. Assuming 1.5 FPS the ADCs need to process 39000000*1.5/6 =975000 pixels per second.

The IQ 250 has 8280 ADCs and 50 MP. Still shooting 1.5 FPS the ADC process 50000000*1.5/8280= 9058 samples per second. So, the IQ 250 can use a lot of simple but accurate (Wilkinson type) raw converters, while the CCD backs need much faster and much more complex converters.

Best regards
Erik

Is the only reason there is no AD on chip CCD, that they didn't invest the time in r&d?

Other than the location of the AD, is there any other reason CCD will produce a different image than CMOS? Maybe the famous differences everybody are talking about, come from the different ADC?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Jim Kasson on April 17, 2014, 05:49:00 pm
Regarding ADCs, they just take an analogue signal like 10 micro volts and convert in a number. There are only two ways to do it, correctly or not.

Uh, Erik, I know you were trying to simplify, but, if that was your aim, I think you succeeded altogether too well. As somebody who's put together a lot of analog/digital systems, I can testify that no ADC is perfect. There are static and dynamic errors, and they are often noisy, so that error has both a stochastic and a predictable component. Even a perfect ADC has an error of plus or minus half the least-significant bit, and practical ones, especially in the rarefied atmosphere of 14 bits, have more. When I have modeled cameras, I often use mean ADC errors of 0.5 to 1.5 LSBs, in addition to the worst-case half-LSB theoretical error.

That aside, you're doing a great job of explaining complex things very well in this thread, as usual.

Jim
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 17, 2014, 08:04:29 pm
Is the only reason there is no AD on chip CCD, that they didn't invest the time in r&d?

Other than the location of the AD, is there any other reason CCD will produce a different image than CMOS? Maybe the famous differences everybody are talking about, come from the different ADC?

Interesting question.

ADs have been off-chip on all except the most recent CMOS cameras; in fact they are one of the  expensive chips in the high speed cameras like the D3, because the faster you want to acquire (accurately), the more of them you need.

I think Canon pioneered the use of CDS pixel-sampling design  around the time the 1DII was released; AFAIK the AD was still off chip. Before that CDS was routinely employed in the AD stage of CCD designs. Initially the results from Canon were really smeary. This site explains why CMOS designs have some intrinsic noise issues. (http://www.iee.et.tu-dresden.de/iee/analog/papers/mirror/visionchips/vision_chips/aps_cds.html).

I don't understand this stuff as well as many of the posters here, but I really feel that CCD has been the victim of underinvestment while CMOS has been pushed relentlessly by the Japanese for a variety of reasons, one of which is the low power consumption at standby - power consumed during use is proportional to frequency.

Usually a working technology can be perfected, and I think that it is sad to see CCD imagers abandoned when the replacement is not really a substitute.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Jim Kasson on April 17, 2014, 08:40:12 pm
I don't understand this stuff as well as many of the posters here, but I really feel that CCD has been the victim of underinvestment while CMOS has been pushed relentlessly by the Japanese for a variety of reasons, one of which is the low power consumption at standby - power consumed during use is proportional to frequency.

Usually a working technology can be perfected, and I think that it is sad to see CCD imagers abandoned when the replacement is not really a substitute.

Edmund, aside from clever circuit design in CMOS sensors, the technology has a huge advantage in that it is a twist on mainstream semiconductor technology used for all kinds of things, while the CCD process technology has become kind of an orphan, used almost (entirely?) for image capture. At one, time, ages ago, CCDs were used as memory devices, but they lost out to DRAM and CMOS static RAM.

That's my perspective as an integrated circuit user starting with DCTL (which was really hard to work with, but seemed like a miracle at the time) in 1963. I'd welcome the perspective of a real semiconductor engineer. I know you're out there...

Jim
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: BJL on April 17, 2014, 09:01:51 pm
Phase and Hassy killed CCD.

They ... underinvested in new chip and body developments ... and pressured their chip suppliers for the best price.  The suppliers reacted by recycling their existing designs as far as they could take them without major reinvestment.

During the same period, Sony used the money from their sensor foundry to create a fountain of new chips which are actually drop-in modules, and are used by the whole industry - nobody was stopping Dalsa and Kodak from going the same way.

 As a result we have a super-modern CMOS all-singing all-dancing design fighting it out with geriatric 5 year old MF CCDs. There is no state of the art all-digital MF CCD with on-chip A/D available - in fact one can argue that Phase and Hassy wanted there to be none because it would have been a drop-in camera. Set me right if I'm wrong. I for one believe that MF-CCD was a perfectly good technology that was pushed into irrelevance by greed.
Firstly, AFAIK, MFD camera and back makers account for only a small fraction of the demand for CCDs from their sensor suppliers, with those CCDs developed mainly for other market like medical, scientific, industrial and military uses. So I doubt that Phase One or Hasselblad have much influence of the development of CCDs, and they can hardly be blamed for the industry-wide slow-down in or abandonment of CCD development. Note that many other sensor makers like Sony and Panasonic moved away from CCDs to active pixel CMOS sensors, and one cannot blame Phase One and Hasselblad for that abandonment of CCD development.
Instead, it seems that the older CCD approach to image sensors has simply matured to the point that there is little room for further progress. Except that is by adding features like on-sensor amplification -- which is the defining feature of "Active Pixel Sensors", commonly known as CMOS sensors (but known in the trade as APS!).

Secondly, what advantages do you claim that CCDs have over active pixel CMOS sensors that would make it worth trying to improve them rather than going with the industry-wide trend to active pixel sensors?  The single biggest disadvantage of CCDs is their greater read noise, which is related to the fact that the charge from each photosite is moved to the corners of the sensor without amplification, using a succession of thousands of hops of the charge from one photosite to the next, first down a column of photosites to the edge, and then (far faster) along the edge to a corner.  Active pixel CMOS sensors instead move the signal directly from a photosite to the edge of the sensor in a single step via a voltage signal, and this is done with amplification: the charge on a photosite is mapped to a proportionately larger change in a sense capacitor at the bottom of the column.  This amplification (when combined with DCS) is the key to the lower read noise and high dynamic range of active pixel sensors.  Doing ADC at the bottom of each column is a subsequent improvement, but even without that, Canon's older technology CMOS sensors with their off-board ADC win easily on low noise and DR over CCDs.

The only way I can see usefully adding on-chip ADC to a CCD is doing it in column parallel style, but that still has the problems associated with the thousands of hops of the unamplified charge signal down the column.  How would that be better than the active pixel sensor approach?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 17, 2014, 09:15:31 pm
Thread title - "The Future of CCD Sensors"
Consensus answer ...

 NONE. :)

A bit puzzling we're not getting major dissent :)

Edmund  


Firstly, AFAIK, MFD camera and back makers account for only a small fraction of the demand for CCDs from their sensor suppliers, with those CCDs developed mainly for other market like medical, scientific, industrial and military uses. So I doubt that Phase One or Hasselblad have much influence of the development of CCDs, and they can hardly be blamed for the industry-wide slow-down in or abandonment of CCD development. Note that many other sensor makers like Sony and Panasonic moved away from CCDs to active pixel CMOS sensors, and one cannot blame Phase One and Hasselblad for that abandonment of CCD development.
Instead, it seems that the older CCD approach to image sensors has simply matured to the point that there is little room for further progress. Except that is by adding features like on-sensor amplification -- which is the defining feature of "Active Pixel Sensors", commonly known as CMOS sensors (but known in the trade as APS!).

Secondly, what advantages do you claim that CCDs have over active pixel CMOS sensors that would make it worth trying to improve them rather than going with the industry-wide trend to active pixel sensors?  The single biggest disadvantage of CCDs is their greater read noise, which is related to the fact that the charge from each photosite is moved to the corners of the sensor without amplification, using a succession of thousands of hops of the charge from one photosite to the next, first down a column of photosites to the edge, and then (far faster) along the edge to a corner.  Active pixel CMOS sensors instead move the signal directly from a photosite to the edge of the sensor in a single step via a voltage signal, and this is done with amplification: the charge on a photosite is mapped to a proportionately larger change in a sense capacitor at the bottom of the column.  This amplification (when combined with DCS) is the key to the lower read noise and high dynamic range of active pixel sensors.  Doing ADC at the bottom of each column is a subsequent improvement, but even without that, Canon's older technology CMOS sensors with their off-board ADC win easily on low noise and DR over CCDs.

The only way I can see usefully adding on-chip ADC to a CCD is doing it in column parallel style, but that still has the problems associated with the thousands of hops of the unamplified charge signal down the column.  How would that be better than the active pixel sensor approach?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 18, 2014, 02:14:35 am
Hi Jim,

Thanks for making that point, I have very limited knowledge of electronics. Well, I have limited knowledge about most of things ;-)

The point I tried to make is that ADCs just convert a voltage into numbers. Clearly there is noise and un-linearity, but I would guess that any of that would apply to low signal levels (that is shadows/darks) and the quality of the ADC plays a much smaller role on mid tones where the sampled analogue signal is quiet strong. So I don't think that "MFD magic" comes from better ADCs.

A question: It seems that the Nikon cameras having Sony sensors are "low ISO DR kings", the D3S and D4 have external converters and very high ISO capability but cannot achieve the same DR as the Sony sensors. My impression is that the only explanation is that the sensors give very clean signal, but the ADCs have significant noise. So the clean signal from the CMOS sensor is going to variable gain amplifiers, increasing amplification reduces shadow noise, but pushes some of the signal beyond ACD range. Would the ACD be 14-bit "clean", those sensors would also excel with low ISO DR. Is that correct?

Best regards
Erik


Uh, Erik, I know you were trying to simplify, but, if that was your aim, I think you succeeded altogether too well. As somebody who's put together a lot of analog/digital systems, I can testify that no ADC is perfect. There are static and dynamic errors, and they are often noisy, so that error has both a stochastic and a predictable component. Even a perfect ADC has an error of plus or minus half the least-significant bit, and practical ones, especially in the rarefied atmosphere of 14 bits, have more. When I have modeled cameras, I often use mean ADC errors of 0.5 to 1.5 LSBs, in addition to the worst-case half-LSB theoretical error.

That aside, you're doing a great job of explaining complex things very well in this thread, as usual.

Jim
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: JoeKitchen on April 18, 2014, 08:09:28 am
Wow, lots of technical stuff I don't understand.

If CMOS can be done better, than sure, lets have it.  Only I want to see the same or better quality of color as we get with a CCD; so far I haven't. 
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 18, 2014, 08:33:25 am
Well, it is technical stuff. The difference between CCD and CMOS is pure physics.

As Michael stated, colour rendition has nothing to do with CCD or CMOS, but very much on CFA (Color Filter Array) and CFA design may depend on who is making that sensor to which specifications. After CFA design is done it is mostly about interpretation of data. Colour conversion matrix and things like that. Once basic image rendition is in place the conversion profiles can be tweaked.

So there are a lot of variables involved, and it is mostly science.

Best regards
Erik


Wow, lots of technical stuff I don't understand.

If CMOS can be done better, than sure, lets have it.  Only I want to see the same or better quality of color as we get with a CCD; so far I haven't. 
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Paul2660 on April 18, 2014, 08:37:28 am
Hi Jim

A question: It seems that the Nikon cameras having Sony sensors are "low ISO DR kings", the D3S and D4 have external converters and very high ISO capability but cannot achieve the same DR as the Sony sensors. My impression is that the only explanation is that the sensors give very clean signal, but the ADCs have significant noise. So the clean signal from the CMOS sensor is going to variable gain amplifiers, increasing amplification reduces shadow noise, but pushes some of the signal beyond ACD range. Would the ACD be 14-bit "clean", those sensors would also excel with low ISO DR. Is that correct?



It's my understand that all modern Nikon cameras are using a Sony Sensor, as Nikon does not have a fab plant like Canon.  It's my understanding Nikon has never produced a sensor, even back to the D1 in 1999.  I may have this wrong.  

The sensors in the D4, D4s may have tuned more to the high iso than producing the low iso DR.  

Paul
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 18, 2014, 09:00:52 am
Hi,

That is not correct. D3 and D4 sensors are not made by Sony. My guess is that they are built by Aptina.

Best regards
Erik


It's my understand that all modern Nikon cameras are using a Sony Sensor, as Nikon does not have a fab plant like Canon.  It's my understanding Nikon has never produced a sensor, even back to the D1 in 1999.  I may have this wrong.  

The sensors in the D4, D4s may have tuned more to the high iso than producing the low iso DR.  

Paul
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Paul2660 on April 18, 2014, 09:45:45 am
Eric:

My oversight for sure.  Did some research as I should have before.

 D4 Sensor is the NC81366W fabricated for Nikon by foundry partner Renesas using 0.25 µm design rules.

Not sure who they picked for the D4s.

Paul



Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Jim Kasson on April 18, 2014, 10:54:45 am
Thanks for making that point, I have very limited knowledge of electronics. Well, I have limited knowledge about most of things ;-)

Well, if that's true, you've had me fooled all along.

The point I tried to make is that ADCs just convert a voltage into numbers. Clearly there is noise and un-linearity, but I would guess that any of that would apply to low signal levels (that is shadows/darks) and the quality of the ADC plays a much smaller role on mid tones where the sampled analogue signal is quiet strong. So I don't think that "MFD magic" comes from better ADCs.

You are right there is an error component that is the same regardless of signal level, and thus that part is thus more important at low signal levels. When using a ramp ADC, the nonlinearlities can be seen at high levels, but my measurements indicate that cameras, whether CCD or CMOS, are in general remarkably linear. So your conclusion that the ADC has nothing to do with CMOS/CCD differences is almost certainly right.

A question: It seems that the Nikon cameras having Sony sensors are "low ISO DR kings", the D3S and D4 have external converters and very high ISO capability but cannot achieve the same DR as the Sony sensors. My impression is that the only explanation is that the sensors give very clean signal, but the ADCs have significant noise. So the clean signal from the CMOS sensor is going to variable gain amplifiers, increasing amplification reduces shadow noise, but pushes some of the signal beyond ACD range. Would the ACD be 14-bit "clean", those sensors would also excel with low ISO DR. Is that correct?

I don't know that the D3s and the D4 use external converters. I had assumed that they did not since they are pretty close to "ISOless". I don't think the ADC itself is the source of most of the read noise, since turning down the ISO -- and thus the gain -- doesn't affect the SNR very much. If we're looking for culprits in CCD cameras, I'd go with two: the repeated shifting that's already been mentioned, and the opportunity for picking up noise in getting the signal to an off-chip ADC. The odds of getting the signal to the ADC cleanly are much better if everything is on the same chip. If there's an off-sensor ADC and a variable gain on-sensor amplifier, there could be a noise win in turning up the gain of the amplifier if you can stand the loss in DR. In cameras with off-sensor ADCs, I don't know where the programmable gain amps are. In a completely ISOless camera, increasing the gain doesn't reduce the shadow noise. In these cameras, and indeed in all cameras I've tested, you'll get the best DR at base ISO.

That's kind of turgid; sorry. Ask away if I'm unclear.

Jim
Title: early amplification is the key difference with active CMOS sensors
Post by: BJL on April 18, 2014, 12:00:14 pm
If A/D is on chip or on board, does that make a difference for the end user? (I don't know)
The primary difference between CCDs and active pixel CMOS sensors is not where the A/D is done: Canon for example still uses off-board ADC, like all CCD cameras do.

Instead most basic difference is that an active pixel CMOS sensor reads out each photosite by transferring the signal directly to the edge of the sensor, and amplifying it in the process, which helps to reduce the effect of subsequent noise in the analog electronic signal path.  I see no good reason why anyone remains nostalgic for the older, slower, noisier, unamplified approach of a CCD.  In particular, Ronald's idea of a CCD with on-chip ADC might be viable, but it would not address the primary disadvantage of CCD's.

On the other hand, most recent active pixel sensor designs [Sony EXMOR, recent Panasonic 4/3" sensors, the Aptina sensors in Nikon One cameras, the CMOSIS sensor of the newest Leica M, etc.] also then do the ADC on the sensor, and in fact do it with an ADC unit at the end of each column of photosites, and this early ADC seems to help further with noise reduction, by avoiding the need for the analog signal to be transferred along the sensor's edge and beyond.


CCDs might be better suited to small volume products: apparently, once a basic CDD photosite is designed, it is relatively easy to lay out sensors of various shapes and sizes using that photosite design, whereas each different shape and size of active pixel CMOS sensor requires more new design work.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: EricWHiss on April 18, 2014, 12:09:22 pm
Does anyone know if there is any cost advantage to making larger sensors with one flavor or the other - CCD or CMOS?  Perhaps differences in yield or other factor?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Iluvmycam on April 18, 2014, 01:10:46 pm
With the introduction of CMOS sensors into the medium-format world, what does the future look like for CCD sensors?

In your view, is there a CCD look or is it something that is vastly overvalued?

Is CMOS in your future or are you one of the photographers who is not so impressed with the latest CMOS medium-format sensor offerings?

What is your view in general about the impressions of other photographers about the CMOS sensors? Is the problem only the price? Do you predict a good future or a serious flop of the new equipment?

I think they have a look to them. But my experience is limited.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: torger on April 18, 2014, 03:03:31 pm
An interesting aspect of large CCDs is that they are sold in different quality levels depening on how many pixels that are broken -- more broken pixels, cheaper sensor. Yes, your digital back probably has a few, a part of "calibration" is to map out the broken pixels which then are interpolated by neighboring working pixels.

I don't know if CMOS sensors are sold in the same way, and if that limits yield.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 18, 2014, 03:20:40 pm
Hi,

That was discussed in one of the LuLa videos (#14), at that time they had something about 7% rejection rate. That was a few years ago on 22 MP chips.The chips that were accepted had typically about two dead columns and perhaps around 300 dead pixels. These are mapped out in raw processing.

That was some time ago, so I guess statistics may be better.

I don't know if CMOS is different, but a manual I have for my Sony's says that the camera checks the sensor each month and maps out dead pixels.

Best regards
Erik


An interesting aspect of large CCDs is that they are sold in different quality levels depening on how many pixels that are broken -- more broken pixels, cheaper sensor. Yes, your digital back probably has a few, a part of "calibration" is to map out the broken pixels which then are interpolated by neighboring working pixels.

I don't know if CMOS sensors are sold in the same way, and if that limits yield.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: bcooter on April 18, 2014, 03:25:02 pm
I think they have a look to them. But my experience is limited.


With the CCD cameras I've owned and still use, I see a difference, our crew sees a difference, our retoucher sees a difference, when client's select images from our portfolio about 70% are from CCD images and since more than half of what we show is from cmos cameras, that's interesting.  

I know the assistants see a difference because they all ask to borrow the contax/phase and now the leica and they don't ask unless they really want something.

Though except for certain situations, I'm off the ten billion iso, 600 frames a set squirrel wheel.  

Due to budget and time restraints I got into that but 400 frames of junk is 400 frames of junk.   I'd rather have 20 good options that work.

I'm also off the we'll fix it in post style of working.    That only goes so far and post production should be a part of the beginning creative brief, not a band aid to fix something.

To me CCD cameras work great in post processing.

Whether the look comes from a filter array, the convertor or the sensor I don't really care.   I just know what I see and I see it from the cropped sensor M8 to the p21+, p30+, Aptus 22 and the Leica S2.

In fact I bought the Leica because I knew cmos was coming and I thought I should get in while there was still something left to get.    

A great byproduct of the S2 was how well it handled HMI and even LED lighting.  We do a lot of parallel productions with motion and stills and usually my cmos camera files look washed out and thin with hmi lighting, the ccd has bit and color.

All of the samples I've posted from the S2 were continuous lighting, mostly hmi.

(http://www.russellrutherford.com/leica_s2.jpg)
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/la_per_innerwear_1.jpg)
and this is the original crop
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/la_per_innerwear_2.jpg)


This was a one off from the same session with the oly em-1 and it's pretty it worked, but it's a much more fragile file than the Leica and much more difficult to separate colors.
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/yel_vs_skirt_oly.jpg)

Anyway, we shoot a lot of images, This is 9 months of master raws
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/2013_lacie_1tb.jpg)
and I stopped counting numbers when we crossed the 300 terabyte count.  (which obviously covers a number of years). though I based my opinion ONLY on my experience.  

I don't know or care how other photographers get their results, that's none of my business.

But let me be clear, that doesn't mean I'm right, it just means I'm right for me.   We all work differently, we all have different end agendas and obviously different opinions.

IMO

BC
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 18, 2014, 03:41:08 pm
Hi,

This link http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.se/2013/03/cmos-sensors-market-grows-ccd-market.html says:

"CMOS image sensors were [one of the] fastest growing product category in 2012 with sales rising 22% to a new record-high $7.1 billion, blowing past the previous peak of $5.8 billion set in 2011. Since the 2009 downturn year, CMOS image sensor sales have climbed 85% due to the strong growth of embedded cameras used in smartphones and portable computers (including tablets) and the expansion of digital imaging into more systems applications. CMOS designs are now grabbing large chunks of marketshare from CCD image sensors, which are forecast to see revenues decline by a CAGR of 2.4% between 2012 and 2017. Sales of CMOS imaging devices are projected to grow by a CAGR of about 12.0% in the forecast period and account for 85% of the total image sensor market versus 15% for CCDs in 2017. This compares to a 60/40 split in 2009."

So CMOS is growing fast while CCD is in slow decline. CMOS development may driven by smart phones and webcams, meaning small sensors, but development is scaling up well to larger sensors which are much more profitable.

I guess that essentially says that CMOS is where the money goes.

It seems that Sony dominates both CCD and CMOS market: http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.se/2012/05/tsr-market-share-data-for-2h-2011.html

Best regards
Erik


With the introduction of CMOS sensors into the medium-format world, what does the future look like for CCD sensors?

In your view, is there a CCD look or is it something that is vastly overvalued?

Is CMOS in your future or are you one of the photographers who is not so impressed with the latest CMOS medium-format sensor offerings?

What is your view in general about the impressions of other photographers about the CMOS sensors? Is the problem only the price? Do you predict a good future or a serious flop of the new equipment?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: MrSmith on April 18, 2014, 03:49:24 pm
 :o I buy about 4 drives a year, but then some shoots only involve 20 frames, I am yet to break/replace a shutter.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: bcooter on April 18, 2014, 03:58:49 pm
:o I buy about 4 drives a year, but then some shoots only involve 20 frames, I am yet to break/replace a shutter.

I wish.

The image I showed is only 1/2 of the originals during that period, but it would be too difficult to do a snap of our downstairs digital suite because they is so much stuff laying around on 4 computer screens that hasn't been cleared.

From August to Dec. of last year we spent slightly over 12  grand on drives and this weekend I'll buy another 3 to 4 thousand to do some backups and organize a recent edit and two projects.


BTW:   It's not bragging it's actually quite shocking to spend more on drives than the cost of a leica.

IMO

BC

Title: Re: early amplification is the key difference with active CMOS sensors
Post by: eronald on April 18, 2014, 04:14:27 pm
The primary difference between CCDs and active pixel CMOS sensors is not where the A/D is done: Canon for example still uses off-board ADC, like all CCD cameras do.

Instead most basic difference is that an active pixel CMOS sensor reads out each photosite by transferring the signal directly to the edge of the sensor, and amplifying it in the process, which helps to reduce the effect of subsequent noise in the analog electronic signal path.  I see no good reason why anyone remains nostalgic for the older, slower, noisier, unamplified approach of a CCD.  In particular, Ronald's idea of a CCD with on-chip ADC might be viable, but it would not address the primary disadvantage of CCD's.

On the other hand, most recent active pixel sensor designs [Sony EXMOR, recent Panasonic 4/3" sensors, the Aptina sensors in Nikon One cameras, the CMOSIS sensor of the newest Leica M, etc.] also then do the ADC on the sensor, and in fact do it with an ADC unit at the end of each column of photosites, and this early ADC seems to help further with noise reduction, by avoiding the need for the analog signal to be transferred along the sensor's edge and beyond.


CCDs might be better suited to small volume products: apparently, once a basic CDD photosite is designed, it is relatively easy to lay out sensors of various shapes and sizes using that photosite design, whereas each different shape and size of active pixel CMOS sensor requires more new design work.

Nothing stops a CCD design from adding an onchip AD at the end of each half line or half column, on chip or off chip.
Existing designs have 4 readouts, I believe.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 18, 2014, 04:20:35 pm

With the CCD cameras I've owned and still use, I see a difference, our crew sees a difference, our retoucher sees a difference, when client's select images from our portfolio about 70% are from CCD images and since more than half of what we show is from cmos cameras, that's interesting.  

I know the assistants see a difference because they all ask to borrow the contax/phase and now the leica and they don't ask unless they really want something.

Though except for certain situations, I'm off the ten billion iso, 600 frames a set squirrel wheel.  

Due to budget and time restraints I got into that but 400 frames of junk is 400 frames of junk.   I'd rather have 20 good options that work.

I'm also off the we'll fix it in post style of working.    That only goes so far and post production should be a part of the beginning creative brief, not a band aid to fix something.

To me CCD cameras work great in post processing.

Whether the look comes from a filter array, the convertor or the sensor I don't really care.   I just know what I see and I see it from the cropped sensor M8 to the p21+, p30+, Aptus 22 and the Leica S2.

In fact I bought the Leica because I knew cmos was coming and I thought I should get in while there was still something left to get.    

A great byproduct of the S2 was how well it handled HMI and even LED lighting.  We do a lot of parallel productions with motion and stills and usually my cmos camera files look washed out and thin with hmi lighting, the ccd has bit and color.

All of the samples I've posted from the S2 were continuous lighting, mostly hmi.

(http://www.russellrutherford.com/leica_s2.jpg)
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/la_per_innerwear_1.jpg)
and this is the original crop
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/la_per_innerwear_2.jpg)


This was a one off from the same session with the oly em-1 and it's pretty it worked, but it's a much more fragile file than the Leica and much more difficult to separate colors.
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/yel_vs_skirt_oly.jpg)

Anyway, we shoot a lot of images, This is 9 months of master raws
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/2013_lacie_1tb.jpg)
and I stopped counting numbers when we crossed the 300 terabyte count.  (which obviously covers a number of years). though I based my opinion ONLY on my experience.  

I don't know or care how other photographers get their results, that's none of my business.

But let me be clear, that doesn't mean I'm right, it just means I'm right for me.   We all work differently, we all have different end agendas and obviously different opinions.

IMO

BC


Actually, I think I'll probably also buy one of the old CCD Pentaxes or a Leica S when the prices have fallen. These two cameras seem usable in practice for an occasional amateur like me; the old prices of Phase were nowhere sustainable, because of the lousy body and because half those backs are actually quite rotten in practice.  It's clear that CMOS is now getting really good, esthetically I'd say the yellow file is the one I like most out of this bunch. But of course the way the scene is set and lit counts for a lot.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: bcooter on April 18, 2014, 04:29:24 pm
Actually, I think I'll probably also buy one of the old CCD Pentaxes or a Leica S when the prices have fallen.

I think your fine with what you have, given what you shoot. 

I don't think your going to see a Lecia S anything or a Pentax 645 drop that much in price.   The people that use medium format generally have no issue lighting a scene or using a tripod.

Also you didn't factor in the price of lenses.

Actually, if I worked only for pleasure i'd buy another M8 or two M9's a few lenses and never look back, because they do about everything I would need for personal work.  For commerce things like tethering come into play.

IMO

BC
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 18, 2014, 04:45:59 pm
I think your fine with what you have, given what you shoot.  

I don't think your going to see a Lecia S anything or a Pentax 645 drop that much in price.   The people that use medium format generally have no issue lighting a scene or using a tripod.

Also you didn't factor in the price of lenses.

Actually, if I worked only for pleasure i'd buy another M8 or two M9's a few lenses and never look back, because they do about everything I would need for personal work.  For commerce things like tethering come into play.

IMO

BC

As you say, I seem to be doing alright with what I use, namely a $1500 1Ds3 that I bought used, about as clapped out as an old yellow cab :)
There's a bunch of them being sold locally with replaced shutters now, and I'm seriously thinking of picking one out of the bunch that has a good sensor. Mine cannot really do 160O ISO.

I don't know about the 645D which as you say was probably bought by pros who light, or landscape guys who shoot by day, but the Leica S are sure to flood the used market in due course as they were bought by amateurs; it's happening now with the M9s here in Paris, all these guys who bought them as toys are dumping them - if an M9 has scratches it is now unsaleable. BTW, a lot of M9 samples have had their sensors changed, there must have been an issue.

Edmund
Title: Re: early amplification is the key difference with active CMOS sensors
Post by: Jim Kasson on April 18, 2014, 04:52:37 pm
Nothing stops a CCD design from adding an on-chip AD at the end of each half line or half column, on chip or off chip.

In order to do that, the CCD semiconductor process has to allow the construction of the devices required by the circuit design of the ADC. Not always easy. Getting analog devices on mostly-digital CMOS chips was, as I remember, somewhat of a struggle.

Jim
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Telecaster on April 18, 2014, 04:54:39 pm
Actually, if I worked only for pleasure i'd buy another M8 or two M9's a few lenses and never look back, because they do about everything I would need for personal work. For commerce things like tethering come into play.

I just bought a second M8(.2) and have arranged to sell my A7r, FE lenses & various adapters to a friend-of-a-friend (at close to cost). For me the M8's pleasure factor is off the charts. My favorite M lenses just sing with it too. Unloading the Sony also frees up time & opportunities for using the 645D. Sometimes ya gotta do the wrong thing to find out what the right thing is.   ;)

-Dave-
Title: Re: early amplification is the key difference with active CMOS sensors
Post by: eronald on April 18, 2014, 05:00:00 pm
deleted
Title: Re: early amplification is the key difference with active CMOS sensors
Post by: BJL on April 18, 2014, 08:24:08 pm
Nothing stops a CCD design from adding an onchip AD at the end of each half line or half column, on chip or off chip.
Existing designs have 4 readouts, I believe.
Yes, as I said in my comments that you quoted, your idea of a CCD with on-chip ADC idea might be "viable", but as I also said, earlier ADC is not the main reason that CMOS is stomping over CCD by almost every measure, and was not relevant at all to the way that Canon's CMOS gave it dominance over competing DLSRs when they were still using CCDs. Instead, it is the noise and DR advantage of early on-chip amplification in active pixel sensor designs.

Perhaps you should read my subject line before you reply, so that you do not miss my main point.
Title: Re: early amplification is the key difference with active CMOS sensors
Post by: eronald on April 18, 2014, 09:51:54 pm
Yes, as I said in my comments that you quoted, your idea of a CCD with on-chip ADC idea might be "viable", but as I also said, earlier ADC is not the main reason that CMOS is stomping over CCD by almost every measure, and was not relevant at all to the way that Canon's CMOS gave it dominance over competing DLSRs when they were still using CCDs. Instead, it is the noise and DR advantage of early on-chip amplification in active pixel sensor designs.

Perhaps you should read my subject line before you reply, so that you do not miss my main point.

I'd need to understand your point before I get it.
I'm tired, obstinate, and unconvinced :)
Let me sleep on this ...

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: tsjanik on April 18, 2014, 10:58:49 pm
I just bought a second M8(.2) and have arranged to sell my A7r, FE lenses & various adapters to a friend-of-a-friend (at close to cost). For me the M8's pleasure factor is off the charts. My favorite M lenses just sing with it too. Unloading the Sony also frees up time & opportunities for using the 645D. Sometimes ya gotta do the wrong thing to find out what the right thing is.   ;)

-Dave-

Dave,

As a happy 645D user who has been tempted by the size and weight of the A7r, I'd love to hear why you dumped the Sony.

Tom
Title: Re: early amplification is the key difference with active CMOS sensors
Post by: BJL on April 19, 2014, 12:38:45 am
I'd need to understand your point before I get it.
I'm tired, obstinate, and unconvinced :)
Let me sleep on this ...
Just read up on how active pixel CMOS sensors work, and on the read noise and DR measurements for the best ones compared to the best CCDs. Or look at the deep shadows in samples for a quick demo of the far lower noise floor of good CMOS.  The key is the word "active"!
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Telecaster on April 19, 2014, 01:54:49 am
As a happy 645D user who has been tempted by the size and weight of the A7r, I'd love to hear why you dumped the Sony.

It's pretty simple: the Sony offers great image quality, not to mention multi-mount adaptability, but in the end it doesn't work that well for the kind of quick reaction "see, frame, click" approach to photography I enjoy most. With a filled-out native lens lineup it might be a partially different story...but that's in the future (if ever). I've loved rangefinders since I was a teenager but had forgotten in my long layoff from enthusiastic pic-taking (nerve compression issues, now resolved) just how much RF cameras suit that approach. And I guess I got sidetracked by D-SLRs in the 2000s too.

The 645D is definitely big & heavy compared to an M8 or A7r. But it suits the other kind of pic-taking I enjoy...the slow & considered kind. I owned & used a 645Nii for awhile pre-digital for the same reason. I could do this with the Sony—I certainly have a flexible enough lens lineup (via adapters)—but the 4:3 aspect ratio suits me better for careful composition and using the 645D & its lenses is a pleasure. I do reserve the right to change my mind re. usability when I get older & creakier.   :)

-Dave-
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 19, 2014, 06:41:55 am
With the CCD cameras I've owned and still use, I see a difference, our crew sees a difference, our retoucher sees a difference, when client's select images from our portfolio about 70% are from CCD images and since more than half of what we show is from cmos cameras, that's interesting.  

You guys keep going around and around and getting nowhere.

I think we can all agree that when we give the client images from a Leaf back and a Canon DSLR, they will choose the Leaf images most of the time. That is true also based on my experience.
However, that does not tell us whether CCD gives a better picture than CMOS.
There is a lot more hardware, firmware and software that go into making the final image.
The difference could be the sensor technology, but it is also very possible the difference is in the secret sauce (all the rest of it).

Making endless theoretical discussions about engineering aspects, is also without merit IMO.
Let alone the fact that only a few can properly understand it, having an online discussion without properly defined criteria and boundaries as in formal research, will not produce credible results.

What we need is a very simple thing - compared images from IQ250 and IQ260 - from the same company, hopefully made with similar "secret sauce".
These images need to be taken with no stress - no pushing, no long exposure, no lighting from a window, no high ISO - they need to be properly lit studio images with parameters like 1/125, f/16, ISO 35/100. No crops or any post processing - just straight jpgs are fine.

I don't think Phase commitment to quality is fake. If they chose to release a CMOS based back, then my best guess is that it is capable of producing at least same quality results as their latest CCD based backs.

I wish one of the dealers would release such photos so that we would know for sure.
When I wanted to buy a back, one of these dealers (who shall remain nameless), took about 5 minutes to send me the exact type of image that I wanted to see... And it worked for him too.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: torger on April 19, 2014, 12:00:11 pm
There is an engineering explanation already: the secret is in the CFA optimisation for colour or for ISO. Almost all dslr CMOS have been optimised to provide great iso, but not the IQ250 which is optimised for colour, even Phase One has said it themselves.

So I would not worry.

Leica has not been using state of the art sensors, so it's not surprising that they have had issues with quality. I would not take their CMOS issues as a sign that there's a specific problem with CMOS on the whole.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Jim Kasson on April 19, 2014, 12:16:12 pm
There is an engineering explanation already: the secret is in the CFA optimisation for colour or for ISO. Almost all dslr CMOS have been optimised to provide great iso, but not the IQ250 which is optimised for colour, even Phase One has said it themselves.

Are you saying that, in the IQ250, Phase One is using a different CFA than the other two manufacturers who are offering products (H5D-50c, 645Z) based on the same chip? Or are you saying that all three manufacturers are using the same CFA, and that it's different from the CFA used on Sony's smaller chips? The fact that the base ISO is the same for all three indicates that the CFAs are the same for all three 33x44mm-sensor cameras wrt ISO/color tradeoffs.

Thanks,

Jim
Title: An interesting paper
Post by: Jim Kasson on April 19, 2014, 12:29:09 pm
Here's a paper on the tradeoff of color accuracy vs color noise in CFA design that bears on the ISO/accuracy issue that torger was talking about.

http://smartcamera.stanford.edu/~brian/papers/pdc/ColorFilterSPIE03.pdf

Jim
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 19, 2014, 12:34:38 pm
So you saying that Canon is using CMYG and Phase is using RGGB?

I was sure everybody were using RGGB.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: torger on April 19, 2014, 01:31:23 pm
Are you saying that, in the IQ250, Phase One is using a different CFA than the other two manufacturers who are offering products (H5D-50c, 645Z) based on the same chip? Or are you saying that all three manufacturers are using the same CFA, and that it's different from the CFA used on Sony's smaller chips? The fact that the base ISO is the same for all three indicates that the CFAs are the same for all three 33x44mm-sensor cameras wrt ISO/color tradeoffs.

Thanks,

Jim

I don't know. My guess is that they're the same, but individual customization has been made before. CFA is applied as a separate step so you can provide different types for the same sensor if you like.
Title: Comparing CCD to active pixel CMOS, with other factors as equal as possible
Post by: BJL on April 19, 2014, 01:40:34 pm
sbernthal,
I agree with almost everything you say, but for the sake of comparing the current state of the art in large CCDs to active pixel CMOS sensors, I would like to see a slightly different test, equalizing as many other factors as possible, including lens, format size and brand, in case different camera makers adopt different approaches to color handling.  So I would like to see the same (Phase One) body set up in the same location and used with an IQ250 and also with either an IQ260 or better yet an IQ280, with the same lens -- and the images from the larger sensors cropped to the same FOV as given by the smaller IQ250, so that the same portion of the image from the same lens is being used to photograph the same composition.

It might help to also roughly equalize pixel size (and thus pixel count with this scenario), in which case the IQ280 is best: its pixel size is almost the same as that of the IQ250 (5.2 vs 5.3 microns).
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 19, 2014, 01:42:11 pm
You are right.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: BJL on April 19, 2014, 01:47:35 pm
You are right.
OK! Doug Peterson, you have your marching orders.


P. S. I am 99.99% sure that Canon uses the same basic Bayer pattern RGGB color filter arrays as everyone else, but that leaves room for differences in how wide a spectrum of light is accepted by each filter color, trading better color information against more signal and so potentially lower noise levels.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 19, 2014, 02:00:22 pm
Hi,

I would say that this may be a bit of blanket statement. I have seen spectral response curves for very few sensors. It is quite possible that DSLR sensors tend to be more optimised for high ISO, but I have not really seen any evidence for it.

I have only experience with Sony cameras and a P45+ back (that is using a Kodak sensor). What I feel in that case is that white balance is far more important than CFA differences. Using individual DNG profiles both cameras renders colours quite similarly.

Testing with a Color Checker the Sony is almost dead accurate and the P45+ less so. Using an IT8 target the Sony is still more accurate, but Capture One comes close if linear curve is used.

My best friend is shooting Canon. I did not make tests on that camera, but I was quite happy with his colour rendition.

Quite possible that MF colour profiles are better adjusted for skin tone rendition in studio lighting, taking electronic flash taken into account.

Also, I am not really sure that there is a clear consensus on what good skin tones actually are. Skin interpretation seems quite different between different images posted here on LuLa forums.

My guess is that if we eliminate as much variables as possible the results may be pretty close. Example:


And I guess the results may be pretty close. It has been the case for me but I have only access to a few sets of equipment, and my interest is mostly related to stuff I actually use.

Best regards
Erik

Ps. Would anyone be interested a length evaluation of the P45+ vs. Sony is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/79-p45-colour-rendition


There is an engineering explanation already: the secret is in the CFA optimisation for colour or for ISO. Almost all dslr CMOS have been optimised to provide great iso, but not the IQ250 which is optimised for colour, even Phase One has said it themselves.

So I would not worry.

Leica has not been using state of the art sensors, so it's not surprising that they have had issues with quality. I would not take their CMOS issues as a sign that there's a specific problem with CMOS on the whole.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: torger on April 19, 2014, 02:03:06 pm
Canon used cmyg in some older compacts, but nowadays it's rggb in all their models.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: sbernthal on April 19, 2014, 02:10:36 pm
Testing with a Color Checker the Sony is almost dead accurate and the P45+ less so. Using an IT8 target the Sony is still more accurate, but Capture One comes close if linear curve is used.

This is where the engineer and the photographer part ways:

In engineering you are looking for 100% accuracy or as close to it as possible.
In photography, you are looking for the most pleasing picture.
Case and point, Leaf Aptus which had very inaccurate colors, but still the files were very popular.
I remember shooting a catalog for a designer, where about 50% of the items were in completely the wrong color, no matter how hard I tried to push them in the right direction (it happens with some mid-tones). I was expecting furious reaction from the client, but it never came, and the client continued to come back. With painters it's different though, and they want the right colors to appear in the reproduction. A photographer complained in this forum a few days ago about the "washed out" colors of Credo compared to Aptus, because the Credo colors are much more accurate. I'll still take the Credo as I was feeling quite uncomfortable with the Aptus color interpretation, but the question at hand is not measured color accuracy, but how nice do the end result images look.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 19, 2014, 02:20:06 pm
I don't see color issues with CMOS - I see texture issues. A friend of mine who is much more knowledgable than me and who has authored a known raw converter says the texture smearing problem appeared with the use of what we now call CDS in CMOS sensors - ie. the last dSLRs before that were the original 1Ds and the Nikon D2x.

On the other hand, if you're a supplier to the fashion industry, I expect they paint in the texture when they make up the ads, so it doesn't really matter how awful the CMOS skin tone is.  Except if you are Cooter and you have pride in your work, I guess, in which case you end up buying up Leica's old stock :)

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 19, 2014, 02:26:16 pm
Well,

I don't disagree with you, but one of my observations were that those images could be made pretty close, if work flow is calibrated and matched.

My guess is that the profiles provided with C1 for Phase One backs may be better than those provided for say Nikon cameras. Some posters here even found that profiles for the IQ-250 worked better with Nikon D800 than the D800 profile provided by C1.

That said, I am an engineer with photography as a pastime and quite interested in the engineering part of it…

Best regards
Erik

This is where the engineer and the photographer part ways:

In engineering you are looking for 100% accuracy or as close to it as possible.
In photography, you are looking for the most pleasing picture.
Case and point, Leaf Aptus which had very inaccurate colors, but still the files were very popular.
I remember shooting a catalog for a designer, where about 50% of the items were in completely the wrong color, no matter how hard I tried to push them in the right direction (it happens with some mid-tones). I was expecting furious reaction from the client, but it never came, and the client continued to come back. With painters it's different though, and they want the right colors to appear in the reproduction. A photographer complained in this forum a few days ago about the "washed out" colors of Credo compared to Aptus, because the Credo colors are much more accurate. I'll still take the Credo as I was feeling quite uncomfortable with the Aptus color interpretation, but the question at hand is not measured color accuracy, but how nice do the end result images look.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: torger on April 19, 2014, 02:38:55 pm
Edmund, can you tell more about what texture issues are? Is it aa filter related or something else?
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: torger on April 19, 2014, 02:48:30 pm
I would say that this may be a bit of blanket statement.

I agree, I'm just repeating what many are saying, have not been able to safely verify it myself. There has been a few other "well-known truths" about MF image quality that has turned out to be marketing b*llshit when really drilling down, like the "16 bit DR" thing. So I can't guarantee that it's true, but I find it reasonable... even if not true concerning color vs ISO, it could be true pleasing vs accurate or some other criteria, what's certain is that different sensors have different CFAs, and sometime even the same sensor type can be equipped with different CFAs for different manufacturers.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 19, 2014, 03:13:04 pm
Edmund, can you tell more about what texture issues are? Is it aa filter related or something else?

I simply don't know. Skin looks different. It's the plastic wrap effect. The really extremely bad cameras go bad on the cheekbones and under the eyes in outdoors imagery. I don't think it's aa, i think it's some electronic filtering that may be a consequence of the *new* CMOS pixel structure.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Jim Kasson on April 19, 2014, 03:26:15 pm
So you saying that Canon is using CMYG and Phase is using RGGB?

I was sure everybody were using RGGB.

The principles of the paper apply without regard to the two examples chosen. I, like you, think that all the manufacturers we're talking about in this thread use RGGB (or one of the three other RGB Bayer patterns), but that the transmission spectra of the R, G and B filters could be quite different.

Jim 
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 19, 2014, 04:31:49 pm
Hi,

Just to make clear, I also feel it is reasonable, it is just that I don't see any real evidence. There was a discussion on DxO mark comparing a Canon with a Nikon, with the Nikon and in that case the Nikon had much less overlap.

I could also figure that some sensors are intended to optimise rendition of skin tone (melatonin) and some are optimised for rendering chlorophyl. Just a wild guess.

Regarding profiles, I have noticed that the standard studio flash profile and the portrait profile for my P45+ are incredible close, what my memory tells me that maximum DeltaE between the two that I have seen on my IT8 target was about 1.0, below perception really. So very small adjustments on color profiles may matter a lot.

Best regards
Erik

I agree, I'm just repeating what many are saying, have not been able to safely verify it myself. There has been a few other "well-known truths" about MF image quality that has turned out to be marketing b*llshit when really drilling down, like the "16 bit DR" thing. So I can't guarantee that it's true, but I find it reasonable... even if not true concerning color vs ISO, it could be true pleasing vs accurate or some other criteria, what's certain is that different sensors have different CFAs, and sometime even the same sensor type can be equipped with different CFAs for different manufacturers.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: TimothyHyde on April 20, 2014, 11:09:28 am
For what it is worth to this discussion, here is a post I made on another board comparing the CCD an CMOS in the Hasselblad offerings. 

I've been asked for some comparisons between the H4D-60 and the H5D-50c.  These first three pairs were shot at ISO 100 (which is base ISO for the H5D-50c; base for the H4D-60 is ISO50).  All were shot  within a minute of each other, and from the same stationary tripod.  These are all straight out of LR5 with no corrections or sharpening. 

With the HC 100
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h4d60_iso100_f11_45th.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h5d50c_iso100_f11_40th.jpg

With HC 50 II
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h4d60_iso100_f8_15th.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h5d50c_iso100_f8_15th.jpg

With HC 50 II
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h4d60_iso100_f8_125th.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h5d50c_iso100_f8_125th.jpg

When I first used the new camera I had the impression that the colors were hotter--a little more saturated and vibrant--than my older rig, but this isn't evident when you compare them side by side at ISO100.  The H4D-60 exposes 2/3 of a stop higher than the H5D-50c across all settings, but this is probably due to normal camera variation.  I'll be damned if I can tell any difference in resolution or sharpness between these two cameras.   The major differences are, of course, the crop factor and the ability of the H5D-50c to sing at higher ISOs. 

I'll continue to posts comparisons, next at higher ISO and faces. 
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 21, 2014, 08:23:37 am
Hi,

Thanks for sharing experience and images.

Best regards
Erik


For what it is worth to this discussion, here is a post I made on another board comparing the CCD an CMOS in the Hasselblad offerings. 

I've been asked for some comparisons between the H4D-60 and the H5D-50c.  These first three pairs were shot at ISO 100 (which is base ISO for the H5D-50c; base for the H4D-60 is ISO50).  All were shot  within a minute of each other, and from the same stationary tripod.  These are all straight out of LR5 with no corrections or sharpening. 

With the HC 100
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h4d60_iso100_f11_45th.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h5d50c_iso100_f11_40th.jpg

With HC 50 II
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h4d60_iso100_f8_15th.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h5d50c_iso100_f8_15th.jpg

With HC 50 II
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h4d60_iso100_f8_125th.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h5d50c_iso100_f8_125th.jpg

When I first used the new camera I had the impression that the colors were hotter--a little more saturated and vibrant--than my older rig, but this isn't evident when you compare them side by side at ISO100.  The H4D-60 exposes 2/3 of a stop higher than the H5D-50c across all settings, but this is probably due to normal camera variation.  I'll be damned if I can tell any difference in resolution or sharpness between these two cameras.   The major differences are, of course, the crop factor and the ability of the H5D-50c to sing at higher ISOs. 

I'll continue to posts comparisons, next at higher ISO and faces. 
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: esox on April 21, 2014, 11:41:42 am
I'm very surprosed of the low details precision of the 60mpix. I use P65+ and details are more crispy. Bur I see a difference in the green foliage.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: DandA on April 22, 2014, 09:46:02 pm
I haven't posted here in quite some time but have actively followed this discussion.  Out of necessity, I have to use the right tool for a given job and that mean most often it's the various pro level CMOS based Nikon DSLR's.  Yet when large files are required for clients or shooting for personal use, I always opt for a CCD based camera.  The scientist in me (formal training) does want to know the theory is behind the differences I see between most CMOS and CCD based cameras but the artist/photographer in me knows what I see and like and what works best for the clients I serve.  They too often prefer the final product derived from the CCD based cameras, even when comparable comparisons from both types of cameras are shown to them. 

The present day CCD cameras I utilize are the Lecia M9 and Pentax 645D.  I've also used on a fair number of occasions the Leica S. All three in many respects have a look that I foten don't find with CMOS based cameras no matter how much I work with and treak the files.  Sometimes I can come close and sometimes not.  Many variables involved.

No doubt there are many advantages to utilization of a CMOS chip and if those advantages are absolutely mandatory to use for a task, then of course I won't hesitate, but again if I have a choice, make mine CCD.

In any case, I have an open mind and most welcome the discussion and opinions of all here, regardless of their personal choices and reasoning.  Thats how one learns and grows.

Dave (D&A)
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 22, 2014, 10:19:40 pm
Timothy,

 Thank you.


Edmund

For what it is worth to this discussion, here is a post I made on another board comparing the CCD an CMOS in the Hasselblad offerings. 

I've been asked for some comparisons between the H4D-60 and the H5D-50c.  These first three pairs were shot at ISO 100 (which is base ISO for the H5D-50c; base for the H4D-60 is ISO50).  All were shot  within a minute of each other, and from the same stationary tripod.  These are all straight out of LR5 with no corrections or sharpening. 

With the HC 100
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h4d60_iso100_f11_45th.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h5d50c_iso100_f11_40th.jpg

With HC 50 II
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h4d60_iso100_f8_15th.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h5d50c_iso100_f8_15th.jpg

With HC 50 II
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h4d60_iso100_f8_125th.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23138385/h5d50c_iso100_f8_125th.jpg

When I first used the new camera I had the impression that the colors were hotter--a little more saturated and vibrant--than my older rig, but this isn't evident when you compare them side by side at ISO100.  The H4D-60 exposes 2/3 of a stop higher than the H5D-50c across all settings, but this is probably due to normal camera variation.  I'll be damned if I can tell any difference in resolution or sharpness between these two cameras.   The major differences are, of course, the crop factor and the ability of the H5D-50c to sing at higher ISOs. 

I'll continue to posts comparisons, next at higher ISO and faces. 
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Gel on April 25, 2014, 03:38:56 am
FWIW I tested a Phase P25 back against a 5D3.

Same relative lens setup (primes) and found that whilst the colours were exactly the same the phase was slightly sharper. Probably because there was no AA filter to screw things up.

Now of course, these are older sensors and things move on...but if comparing the look and feel of a CCD vs CMOS sensor there wasn't anything in it.

However shoot a headshot with a 1DX and 85L combo vs a H4D50 and 100mm 2.2 and you will see a marked difference.

My biggest concern though is WHO makes the CMOS. Because as someone with experience of the D800, another Sony sensor, the images lacked any sort of soul to them vs a back with larger pixels like the 1DX.

If someone came out with a CMOS version of the P25 (same 9 micron pixel count) I'd be all over that in a heartbeat and I really think the sensor manufacturing is focused on the wrong thing.
I don't need 50mp for my line of work. Even 22mp is overkill.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: torger on April 25, 2014, 07:36:57 am
I don't think low res MF is coming back. First it's hard to sell an MF system with lower resolving power than a smaller format, and second it's not really a good idea. The low res MF backs are moire machines.

I find it quite interesting that many both say that they don't need many megapixels and that they don't want any AA filter. The main reason not to have an AA filter (except from simplifying in manufacturing) is to get more resolving power, ie get more out of the megapixels you got. You do that at the cost of aliasing issues like false colors and moire, which for nice finely patterned suit fabrics can be a real pain.

So if you don't need the resolution for your prints, it's still better for image quality to go higher resolution and put on an AA filter. Images that are a bit soft when you pixel peep can also be enlarged to huge billboard sizes without looking ugly up front, ie you don't see any traces of pixel structures or ugly upsizing fractal effects or whatever.

A problem currently is that pixels are deep, which means that the lower pixel pitch you got the closer to perpendicular the sensor needs its light to avoid color casts and crosstalk, which limits optical wide angle designs to strong retrofocus, a real problem for tech cameras today. The next breakthrough I'm waiting for is that large sensors get access to photodiode-at-the-surface pixel designs that already exists in mobile phone sensors and on some compacts. With that I would not mind grossly outresolving my lenses with the sensor -- no more false colors, no more moire.

However, for MF to keep it's attraction I think their best position to be at now is to strike the balance to have both more megapixels and sharper pixel peep pixels than smaller formats. Many talk about color and look, but I really think most are pixel peepers -- "wow, I get more resolution and pixels are still sharper". So we probably won't see any AA filters in MF cameras any time soon either, although that for real image quality it would be an improvement.

Today I use aliasing as a sort of sharpness check with my digital back - if I don't see aliasing my image isn't sharp enough :)
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: hjulenissen on April 25, 2014, 07:46:18 am
If you want larg-ish sensor, low-ish MP count _and_ state-of-the-art sensor tech, then the Sony A7S might be something to investigate?

When I listen to music I don't strive for 44100 Hz native D/A converters using no interpolation filter. Rather, I want the best D/A there is, and this usually means a very high sample rate, combined with noise-shaping/dithering and resampling to give good performance in the audible band. Same with image sensors, I expect that we will at some stage have camera sensors that have "spatial resolution" way in excess of what we need (or what lenses can realistically resolve), or what there is normally photon counts to excite at normal noise level. The I expect this sensor to provide very good image quality at sensible image reprodution sizes. See http://ee.usc.edu/faculty_staff/faculty_directory/fossum.htm

-h
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Gel on April 25, 2014, 08:16:22 am
I do like the look of the A7S, I was most pleased when they said it was 12mp.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: hjulenissen on April 25, 2014, 08:26:45 am
I find it quite interesting that many both say that they don't need many megapixels and that they don't want any AA filter.
Perhaps (some of) those people are judging their images unsharpened at 1:1 on a computer screen, and finding that the larger sensel, non AA filtered images look better in that condition than cameras of smaller sensels featuring AA filters?

It would be a strange (myopic?) setting to base ones purchase of expensive image-producing equipment on, but I have heard of stranger things.

-h
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 25, 2014, 09:41:31 am
FWIW I tested a Phase P25 back against a 5D3.

Same relative lens setup (primes) and found that whilst the colours were exactly the same the phase was slightly sharper. Probably because there was no AA filter to screw things up.

[...]

If someone came out with a CMOS version of the P25 (same 9 micron pixel count) I'd be all over that in a heartbeat and I really think the sensor manufacturing is focused on the wrong thing.
I don't need 50mp for my line of work. Even 22mp is overkill.

Did you open the P25+ in Capture One or in ACR/LR? The overwhelming majority of my customer interactions have leaned towards Capture One giving color more desirable to the customer for P1 backs, especially the earlier backs.

Also, when you hear about color magic in medium format it's more often associated with the Dalsa based backs. Whether that's generational (more recent backs are more likely to have been Dalsa) or causal I couldn't say.

Anyway, the back you are asking about seems to already have been here for a while: a P65+ or IQ160 in sensor plus mode uses 10.4 micron pixels, produces a very very sharp 15mp file (assuming of course sharp lens and good technique), shoots quickly without buffer, has a native ISO of 200 and is very nice even at ISO1600, has a great reputation for color, and is easier on lenses than a very high res back.

It also has a nice bonus feature you can turn on where it shoots 60mp raw files in case you find yourself in a situation where you do need more resolution.

I'm not kidding; I've shot weddings with the 65+ where I used sensor+ at least 80% of the time.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Gel on April 25, 2014, 11:03:28 am
I opened the Phase one in C1 Doug. Lightroom for the 5D3.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 25, 2014, 11:05:07 am
Perhaps (some of) those people are judging their images unsharpened at 1:1 on a computer screen, and finding that the larger sensel, non AA filtered images look better in that condition than cameras of smaller sensels featuring AA filters?

It would be a strange (myopic?) setting to base ones purchase of expensive image-producing equipment on, but I have heard of stranger things.

-h

Actually, it's more fun to interpolate *up* from 1:1 and look what the image looks like.
Some cameras have "enlargeable" pixels, some don't. I guess we would all like to know why ....
I just did this test on a Sigma DP3 and I think something like 1.5 linear is what it can take before images fall apart.
I once did an enlargement to 44" from about 1/4 frame of my P45+. Nice file.
I don't think it's idiotic to prefer a camera like the M8 which can take a huge amount of uprezzing for some reason to one which has a similar number of sharp pixels but cannot do crop/enlarge.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 25, 2014, 02:24:10 pm
Hi,

I made a test/demo of this a while ago, the image below was shot on a P45+ with a Sonnar 150/4 at 3.8 m. The P45+ has 6.8 my pixels and no AA-filter.
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a.png)
another shot was made with a 70-400/4-5.6 G at 150 mm on a Sony Alpha 77 also at 3.8 m, the Sony has 3.9 my pixels and may have AA-filter. So the focal length and distance is the same. The difference is essentially the size of the pixels.
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_na.png)
The two lenses are about the same quality.

Below, an enlarged P45+ image for better viewing.
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a_large.png)

Finally, this is the 3.9 image downscaled to same size as the P45+ image:
P45+3.9my (Sony Alpha 99)
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a.png)(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_na_small.png)

Full article is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/78-aliasing-and-supersampling-why-small-pixels-are-good

So, I feel there is a merit to small pixels. On the other hand looking at individual pixels on screen is a bit different from viewing a print.

Best regards
Erik

If you want larg-ish sensor, low-ish MP count _and_ state-of-the-art sensor tech, then the Sony A7S might be something to investigate?

When I listen to music I don't strive for 44100 Hz native D/A converters using no interpolation filter. Rather, I want the best D/A there is, and this usually means a very high sample rate, combined with noise-shaping/dithering and resampling to give good performance in the audible band. Same with image sensors, I expect that we will at some stage have camera sensors that have "spatial resolution" way in excess of what we need (or what lenses can realistically resolve), or what there is normally photon counts to excite at normal noise level. The I expect this sensor to provide very good image quality at sensible image reprodution sizes. See http://ee.usc.edu/faculty_staff/faculty_directory/fossum.htm

-h
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Telecaster on April 25, 2014, 03:51:43 pm
I don't think it's idiotic to prefer a camera like the M8 which can take a huge amount of uprezzing for some reason to one which has a similar number of sharp pixels but cannot do crop/enlarge.

Yeah, I'm amazed at just how well M8 files uprez & print at sizes you'd think would be beyond the safe zone. Except for the occasional bit of moiré it's been all upside with this camera. Wish I'd discovered this a year ago...coulda saved myself a lot of time, effort & $$.   :o

-Dave-
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 25, 2014, 06:59:12 pm
Yeah, I'm amazed at just how well M8 files uprez & print at sizes you'd think would be beyond the safe zone. Except for the occasional bit of moiré it's been all upside with this camera. Wish I'd discovered this a year ago...coulda saved myself a lot of time, effort & $$.   :o

-Dave-

How is the M9?

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Telecaster on April 26, 2014, 01:26:02 am
How is the M9?

It's basically an M8 with wider coverage for any given lens...and more processing, in-camera or post, required to deal with corner/edge color casts & light falloff. I've never owned an M9 but I've used my friend Bruce's nearly as much as he has.   :)  I think the M8 is crisper, if just, at the pixel level. And no jiggery-pokery correction needed with my lenses.

-Dave-
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Chris Livsey on April 26, 2014, 05:18:35 am
How is the M9?

Edmund

Different  ;D

http://pskiss.com/shop/cross-camera-color-profiles/
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 26, 2014, 10:56:49 am
Different  ;D

http://pskiss.com/shop/cross-camera-color-profiles/

Hehe, I see yet another guy has discovered the look profile technique :)

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Fine_Art on April 26, 2014, 01:16:41 pm
Well,

I don't disagree with you, but one of my observations were that those images could be made pretty close, if work flow is calibrated and matched.

My guess is that the profiles provided with C1 for Phase One backs may be better than those provided for say Nikon cameras. Some posters here even found that profiles for the IQ-250 worked better with Nikon D800 than the D800 profile provided by C1.

That said, I am an engineer with photography as a pastime and quite interested in the engineering part of it…

Best regards
Erik


What kind, since you bring it up? Electrical, Mechanical, Software, Optical? The term engineer is used for so many things...

Edit - I would guess software since you seem quite skilled with it.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 26, 2014, 03:02:00 pm
Hi,

I have a degree in mechanical engineering, but my main area is reactor physics. Anyway, my professional education is not related to photography, and I definitively don't see myself as an artist.

Best regards
Erik

What kind, since you bring it up? Electrical, Mechanical, Software, Optical? The term engineer is used for so many things...

Edit - I would guess software since you seem quite skilled with it.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: JoeKitchen on April 26, 2014, 06:14:11 pm
OH MY GOD!  :o

We finally brooke out the feathers again; watch out. 
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: araucaria on April 26, 2014, 06:25:19 pm
I tried using the phase one iq250 adobe profile with the d800 in photoshop and the color hues are all wrong, my guess the same thing will happen in C1.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: henrikfoto on April 26, 2014, 06:59:01 pm
Hi,

I made a test/demo of this a while ago, the image below was shot on a P45+ with a Sonnar 150/4 at 3.8 m. The P45+ has 6.8 my pixels and no AA-filter.
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a.png)
another shot was made with a 70-400/4-5.6 G at 150 mm on a Sony Alpha 77 also at 3.8 m, the Sony has 3.9 my pixels and may have AA-filter. So the focal length and distance is the same. The difference is essentially the size of the pixels.
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_na.png)
The two lenses are about the same quality.

Below, an enlarged P45+ image for better viewing.
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a_large.png)

Finally, this is the 3.9 image downscaled to same size as the P45+ image:
P45+3.9my (Sony Alpha 99)
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a.png)(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_na_small.png)

Full article is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/78-aliasing-and-supersampling-why-small-pixels-are-good

So, I feel there is a merit to small pixels. On the other hand looking at individual pixels on screen is a bit different from viewing a print.

Best regards
Erik



Hi Erik!

I am sure you will see much better results from the P45 with the best lenses like the 60cfi, 100cfi and 180cfi.
The 150mm is a portrait lens and is far from the sharpest lens. Even the 120 macro is not very good with a high res digital back.

Love reading your tests!

Henrik
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 27, 2014, 02:05:07 am
Hi Henrik,

Thanks for feedback!

Some of those lenses are on my shopping list. I actually replaced my Sonnar 150/4 with the 180/4 CFi and I am very happy with it.

The 120/4 is now also a CFi, and I will keep it as I want to have a macro lens. The 100/3.5 is on the long term list, but I feel that I have to many lenses in that focal range, 80 and 120. It may come that I replace 50 -> 60 and 80->100, replacing the 150/4 with 180/4 was the first step in that process.

I bought my lenses after checking the MTF curves from Zeiss, and the Sonnar 150/4 is one of the better ones, but the 180/4 is a bit better.  

With regard to this test I wanted to see if the relatively large pixels would cause fake patterns on a low contrast natural subject and what effect OLP filtering and small pixels had. What I found was smaller pixels give more truthful  reproduction.

A couple of observations:

- This is pixel peeping at worst, the question is if these fake patterns are visible in print? They may be, I need to print to find out.
- MTF data only goes down to 40 lp/mm, while the P45+ is around 73 lp/mm

I measured MTF for the lenses, and the Sonnar is a tiny bit better than the 70-400/4-5.6 I used at 150 mm (f/8). See enclosed figures, Sonnar on top and the 70-400/4-5.6 at bottom. The MTF measurement is a bit off-axis but still in the central area.

Best regards
Erik


Hi Erik!

I am sure you will see much better results from the P45 with the best lenses like the 60cfi, 100cfi and 180cfi.
The 150mm is a portrait lens and is far from the sharpest lens. Even the 120 macro is not very good with a high res digital back.

Love reading your tests!

Henrik
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Paul2660 on April 27, 2014, 07:43:51 am
I tried using the phase one iq250 adobe profile with the d800 in photoshop and the color hues are all wrong, my guess the same thing will happen in C1.

Actually the D800e does very well with the Phase One IQ250 default outdoor daylight profile. IMO it's better than the C1 D800e profile and I tend to use the Phase profile now.

Paul
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: eronald on April 27, 2014, 10:51:17 am
Erik,

(Idiotic comments on)
 Please don't take this badly, but might I suggest that if your interest is aliasing, then you would greatly enjoy reading some standard tutorial on Fourier theory as applied to signal processing?And if you are interested in self-similar scaling patterns, then Mandelbrot would be a good place to start?  Imaging a fractal pattern (feather) is an entertaining experiment, and in fact fractal targets have their proponents (http://www.imatest.com/docs/random/), but I would say that the reason they can be used as test targets is precisely the fact that images degrade quickly where the camera's limits are reached. Of course you could reply that most, in fact all, of textures in nature are of fractal nature, and I would agree, but I still think that forcing a camera to alias (Moiré) is not a good test of its look.

If I may be allowed a gedanken experiment, if you image and you upscale a blurry image zone, you get a nice pleasant big blur; if you image a fractal and upscale a Moiré, you get a large Moiré and a lot of information about your upscale algorithm :(

 And yes, if you believe I don't have the slightest idea what I'm talking about you're probably right, but maybe that's because we've walked off the edge of the luminous world where one looks at images and into the jungle world of finite digital numbers where digital reflections of mathematical entities are being pushed around in a brittle way, and we should just use equations to talk our way past this point. Except we mostly don't have the right maths cooked yet and we don't understand how the perceptions relate to the maths so not only do we use the wrong maths as concepts like texture are new (fractals are only 50 years old, the wavelet transform is in its infancy) but also once we're in the world of formulae we cannot find our way back - as your feather posts demonstrate.
 
(Idiotic comments off)

Edmund


Hi Henrik,

Thanks for feedback!

Some of those lenses are on my shopping list. I actually replaced my Sonnar 150/4 with the 180/4 CFi and I am very happy with it.

The 120/4 is now also a CFi, and I will keep it as I want to have a macro lens. The 100/3.5 is on the long term list, but I feel that I have to many lenses in that focal range, 80 and 120. It may come that I replace 50 -> 60 and 80->100, replacing the 150/4 with 180/4 was the first step in that process.

I bought my lenses after checking the MTF curves from Zeiss, and the Sonnar 150/4 is one of the better ones, but the 180/4 is a bit better.  

With regard to this test I wanted to see if the relatively large pixels would cause fake patterns on a low contrast natural subject and what effect OLP filtering and small pixels had. What I found was smaller pixels give more truthful  reproduction.

A couple of observations:

- This is pixel peeping at worst, the question is if these fake patterns are visible in print? They may be, I need to print to find out.
- MTF data only goes down to 40 lp/mm, while the P45+ is around 73 lp/mm

I measured MTF for the lenses, and the Sonnar is a tiny bit better than the 70-400/4-5.6 I used at 150 mm (f/8). See enclosed figures, Sonnar on top and the 70-400/4-5.6 at bottom. The MTF measurement is a bit off-axis but still in the central area.

Best regards
Erik

Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: jerome_m on April 27, 2014, 04:39:44 pm
(Idiotic comments on)
And yes, if you believe I don't have the slightest idea what I'm talking about you're probably right, but maybe that's because we've walked off the edge of the luminous world where one looks at images and into the jungle world of finite digital numbers where digital reflections of mathematical entities are being pushed around in a brittle way, and we should just use equations to talk our way past this point.
(Idiotic comments off)

I dare you.  ::)
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: eronald on April 27, 2014, 09:45:34 pm
I dare you.  ::)

What, to demonstrate even more convincingly that I'm an idiot and a show off ?  I thought I'd done that quite nicely by myself.
;)
Or shall we actually talk about the way what we measure is/should be related to what we perceive as good quality imaging? D'you have a topic? Thing is, if we manage to get the smarter people here to chime in a bit, about what should be measured, we might gain something. One of my professors, a physicist by training, once invited me to dinner with his family and pointedly told me that "Les mathématiques sont là pour enfoncer le portes ouvertes" ie. mathematics serves to fully force open some doors which intuition or experimental work has already unlocked.

In this sense, people talking about eg. the "imaginary" perceived difference between CCD and CMOS is useful, because at some point one of the engineers from a camera corp lurking on this forum may think "Hey, I know what they're talking about ..." and then ask to have this aspect added to a standard measurement suite.

As an example, looking at imagery, I believe that CCD cameras have been historically better on texture like skin tone; however to improve skin tone one would need a good characterisation of how we see texture. My belief is we need to move from Fourier to wavelets. Here are some references, which show what can be captured by the current state of the art applied maths point of view.

http://www.image-engineering.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=570&Itemid=210
https://www.ceremade.dauphine.fr/~peyre/numerical-tour/tours/ (scroll to image processing)

One problem is that the applied maths crowd are often behind the technology; in fact these days one could argue that many of the research academics are situated on a different continent from the commercial technology and don't really have direct access to most of its characteristics.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: jerome_m on April 28, 2014, 02:05:55 am
My "dare" was not really serious, but I like the concepts in the first document you cited. Seems to be an approach about measuring texture loss which could give good results.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 28, 2014, 02:59:49 am
Hi,

The methodology described in the first article is used by the German monthly "Color Photo", but I think they only use it on JPEGs.

I don't think we see similar noise reduction in raw files, although some noise reduction in raw have been noted by DxO on some cameras. They check for this routinely.

Best regards
Erik




Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 28, 2014, 03:05:33 am
My "dare" was not really serious, but I like the concepts in the first document you cited. Seems to be an approach about measuring texture loss which could give good results.

 I dunno. I'm very interested in some of the wavelet transform ideas - not the details, of course I don't understand those :) but I'm a bit put off by the fact that discrete wavelet transforms seem not to be translation invariant, so I think I'm going to have to go back to earlier work. I just read through the first half of the Wong book on discrete Fourier analysis (http://www.amazon.com/Discrete-Fourier-Analysis-Pseudo-Differential-Operators/dp/3034801157/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398668541&sr=1-1&keywords=wong+discrete+fourier+analysis) which shows nicely how the frequency and time-frequency models interact.  The internet is incredible as a library.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 28, 2014, 03:08:31 am
Hi,

The methodology described in the first article is used by the German monthly "Color Photo", but I think they only use it on JPEGs.

I don't think we see similar noise reduction in raw files, although some noise reduction in raw have been noted by DxO on some cameras. They check for this routinely.

Best regards
Erik



We may not be seeing noise reduction on raw, but we sure are seeing a considerable amount of subjective texture loss.
It would be nice to be able to translate this subjective perception into a measurable quality.

Edmund

Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: hjulenissen on April 28, 2014, 03:42:53 am
I dunno. I'm very interested in some of the wavelet transform ideas - not the details, of course I don't understand those :) but I'm a bit put off by the fact that discrete wavelet transforms seem not to be translation invariant, so I think I'm going to have to go back to earlier work. I just read through the first half of the Wong book on discrete Fourier analysis (http://www.amazon.com/Discrete-Fourier-Analysis-Pseudo-Differential-Operators/dp/3034801157/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398668541&sr=1-1&keywords=wong+discrete+fourier+analysis) which shows nicely how the frequency and time-frequency models interact.  The internet is incredible as a library.

Edmund
I think that wavelets were hyped in the 90s. Although the rationale behind and continous behaviour of wavelets may excite physicists and mathematicians, I think that the practical possibilities have (up until now) been quite similar to e.g. the time/frequency analysis filterbanks that have been used in e.g. electronic engineering for half a century or more.

-h
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: hjulenissen on April 28, 2014, 03:45:11 am
We may not be seeing noise reduction on raw, but we sure are seeing a considerable amount of subjective texture loss.
It would be nice to be able to translate this subjective perception into a measurable quality.

Edmund
Is the cutoff for this texture loss sensel-pitch-dependant? If so, one would assume that something like the D800 can be compared to a D700 under identical conditions to figure out what kind of flaws the D700 has? It might also be interesting to compare the Leica M9 with the Leica M monochrome to see if color capability has anything to do with it.

I think there is considerable uncertainty in the Bayer model for the last spatial octave. OLPF, Color filter, demosaic all relate in complex ways, and proprietary raw developers might do all kinds of optimizations in order to satisfy their definition of good images.

-h
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 28, 2014, 04:22:52 am
I think that wavelets were hyped in the 90s. Although the rationale behind and continous behaviour of wavelets may excite physicists and mathematicians, I think that the practical possibilities have (up until now) been quite similar to e.g. the time/frequency analysis filterbanks that have been used in e.g. electronic engineering for half a century or more.

-h

I don't know. I would agree there has been a lot of wavelet hype.  However, when we image a subject, in first analysis we image 3D texture interacting with lighting: Moss, brick, clouds, water, snow, skin are not shaded solids.

Texture is not something well described by conventional geometry. An analysis of texture implies the understanding of the object under various transforms of which scale transforms seem to be part, and whether one likes it or not this is not something which Fourier does naturally. I mean, one can do it with Fourier constructions, but Fourier does not -to me at least-  seem to be something that generates or analyses textures naturally. Speaking as a layman of course. I don't know whether wavelets really do it or have to be coerced - fractal methods seem to go some way there naturally, a lot of the CGI techniques are fractal-based- so it's interesting to look, to see what might be "catching the eye" when we perceive texture, and what the maths could be, and what one can then set as criteria for good texture reproduction.

One  phenomenon I've noticed is that we seem to like images where the reproduction noise merges in some way with the imaged texture. This is the sort of thing which is an interaction of perception, capture technology and object geometry, and is an application that cannot be invented or predicted by mathematical theory alone.

Look, I'm not claiming I understand any of this stuff, I'm just saying that it needs to be looked at, and the methods we have been using were probably not the right ones, which is why people have been pretending that any object in a scene is an assemblage of smoothly shaded solids, and as a result many cameras yield images of people and landscapes that look as if they were ... dead assemblages of smoothly shaded solids.

I think it's time I went back and read some more of those references :)
Pseudo-scientific discussions are the written equivalent, I guess, of cat photographs.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: hjulenissen on April 28, 2014, 07:12:56 am
I don't know. I would agree there has been a lot of wavelet hype.  However, when we image a subject, in first analysis we image 3D texture interacting with lighting: Moss, brick, clouds, water, snow, skin are not shaded solids.

Texture is not something well described by conventional geometry. An analysis of texture implies the understanding of the object under various transforms of which scale transforms seem to be part, and whether one likes it or not this is not something which Fourier does naturally. I mean, one can do it with Fourier constructions, but Fourier does not -to me at least-  seem to be something that generates or analyses textures naturally.
If you are talking about closely emulating the HVS, then I guess that one would need to discuss with the people who do just that. I don't know those things.

If you are talking about analysing texture, I would claim that even the classic JPEG encoder does 2-d (separable) localized transforms of luma that could be linked to local texture? The thing about these transforms is that they tend to be invertible (or approximately so), meaning that they keep all information. The only thing that separate them is how they _present_ the information. A full frame FFT maintains all information, but good luck analyzing it visually to make statements about the texture of some object in the upper right corner.

Wavelets seems to be just a class of digital convolution filters with some interesting time/frequency properties. Other linear filters may have other properties that may or may not map better to a given scene, how the HVS works, and how we want to present this information for manual/automated analysis.

-h
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: eronald on April 28, 2014, 11:16:35 am

Wavelets seems to be just a class of digital convolution filters with some interesting time/frequency properties. Other linear filters may have other properties that may or may not map better to a given scene, how the HVS works, and how we want to present this information for manual/automated analysis.

-h

I'd guess any linear transform in line or grid sample space can be seen as a set of convolution filters; this is a basic tenet of linear systems theory. However various representations allow you to recognize features better. Look at Fourier - the transform can be represented as a set of convolutions but perspective has changed hugely when you move from the temporal to the frequential, and some computations can be speeded up beautifully.

For texture you'd want the class to work nicely with affine transforms eg. moving an object around in space. Rotate a granite cube or a block of marble away from you and it is still seen as a granite or marble cube. I don't think Fourier is that happy about all of those affine mappings. Wavelets of course may have that difficulty as well - whatever formulation one uses  to describe textures would seem to benefit from a fractal approach in the sense that it describes power inter-relationships *between* frequencies. The obvious problem I see of course is that power spectra are not themselves linear (?), nor is the surface diffusion when an object is rotated in fixed lighting, so we now have one foot inside and one outside the linear systems theory pool.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit vague - first of all I'm geriatric, and second there seem to be "precise" mathematicians and "vague" mathematcians, and I certainly have always been at the extreme of the "vague" category, having to relearn the basics of something everytime I want to use it. Luckily these days there is the Internet and Google to teach one everything one needs.

Edmund
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: bjanes on April 28, 2014, 06:45:39 pm
I measured MTF for the lenses, and the Sonnar is a tiny bit better than the 70-400/4-5.6 I used at 150 mm (f/8). See enclosed figures, Sonnar on top and the 70-400/4-5.6 at bottom. The MTF measurement is a bit off-axis but still in the central area.

Erik,

A bit more fun comparing apples to oranges for pixel peepers. I photographed a slanted edge with the Nikon D800e and the Zeiss 135 mm f/2 Apo Sonnar lens and analyzed the images with Imatest using the same settings that you used, rendering with ACR 8.4.1 and PV2012, using the highest quality JPEG (since it preserves the EXIF data). No sharpening was applied. The Nikon lacks a low pass filter and has a pixel size of 4.87 μm. The Nyquist frequency is 102 lp/mm. This compares to your Sony A77 which has a pixel size of 3.9 μm and a Nyquist of 128 lp/mm. Since your Imatest results show minimal response at Nyquist, I presume a low pass filter is present.

The Sony should out-resolve the Nikon since it has a finer pixel pitch, but may need deconvolution sharpening to offset the effect of the low pass filter.

The Nikon with the Zeiss lens outresolves the Sony in these tests, illustrating that the lens is usually more important than the sensor. However the higher response at Nyquist indicates alaising. However, I rarely observe alaising in normal images, but it does show up in spades with Bart's sinusoidal star chart.

Your insights are welcome.

Regards,

Bill



Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Fine_Art on April 28, 2014, 07:38:42 pm
Wavelets are used extensively in the processing of astro-photos, in fact a lot of the software for that niche has wavelets built in. You might want to discuss the pros/cons with an astronomer. Mike Unsold (a mathematician) who wrote Images Plus uses wavelets in his sharpening demos that come with the program. He is helpful if you contact him.
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: Jim Kasson on April 28, 2014, 08:45:37 pm
Wavelets are used extensively in the processing of astro-photos...

And they form the basis of JPEG 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000).

Definitely not a fringe technology.

Jim
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 29, 2014, 12:29:54 am
Bill,


Thanks for responding. Just a small point, the only reason I posted the MTF curves was to demonstrate that the lenses used in the test were comparable.

What I have seen in my test is that small pixels reproduce fine natural structures more truly than larger pixels. The 6.8 micron pixel image had more fake detail than real detail, while the 3.8 micron pixel image had natural strains and very little aliasing.

In my original test I also had a 6 micron pixel camera with OLP filter. What I saw was that the OLP filter reduced colour moiré, but there was still some moiré and very much fake detail. So the conclusion I arrived at is that small pixels are more important to keep aliasing down than the OLP filter. It seems that the OLP filter is dimensioned to reduce colour aliasing, but doesn't affect grayscale moiré.

With the P45+ (6.8 my, no OLP) there is a tendency to "color aliasing" on many images. Capture One is handling that much better than LR5, but doesn't eliminate it fully. It seems "under lab conditions" that it is fully present at f/11 and needs f/16 to fully going away.

Now, the question is what we can see on screen and print. JPEG compression reduces colour information and some of the fake colour goes with it. Anyway it would not visible on web size prints. Larger prints, I don't know.

A final thought may be that resolution may not be so important, as low frequency details seem to be far more important for human vision.

As a side note, thanks for posting the MTF data. It may give me some ideas on the possible gain by a high quality lens. Could you post the raw, I would be most thankful.

Best regards
Erik


Erik,

A bit more fun comparing apples to oranges for pixel peepers. I photographed a slanted edge with the Nikon D800e and the Zeiss 135 mm f/2 Apo Sonnar lens and analyzed the images with Imatest using the same settings that you used, rendering with ACR 8.4.1 and PV2012, using the highest quality JPEG (since it preserves the EXIF data). No sharpening was applied. The Nikon lacks a low pass filter and has a pixel size of 4.87 μm. The Nyquist frequency is 102 lp/mm. This compares to your Sony A77 which has a pixel size of 3.9 μm and a Nyquist of 128 lp/mm. Since your Imatest results show minimal response at Nyquist, I presume a low pass filter is present.

The Sony should out-resolve the Nikon since it has a finer pixel pitch, but may need deconvolution sharpening to offset the effect of the low pass filter.

The Nikon with the Zeiss lens outresolves the Sony in these tests, illustrating that the lens is usually more important than the sensor. However the higher response at Nyquist indicates alaising. However, I rarely observe alaising in normal images, but it does show up in spades with Bart's sinusoidal star chart.

Your insights are welcome.

Regards,

Bill




Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: hjulenissen on April 29, 2014, 06:34:05 am
And they form the basis of JPEG 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000).

Definitely not a fringe technology.

Jim
JPEG 2000 is hardly a successful standard. Does that make it "fringe"? (not sure that the lacking success of Jpeg2k is dues to wavelets, though).

-h
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors
Post by: hjulenissen on April 29, 2014, 06:39:53 am
Wavelets are used extensively in the processing of astro-photos, in fact a lot of the software for that niche has wavelets built in. You might want to discuss the pros/cons with an astronomer. Mike Unsold (a mathematician) who wrote Images Plus uses wavelets in his sharpening demos that come with the program. He is helpful if you contact him.
I am not saying that wavelets are without use. I am saying that wavelets seems to be a re-invention of filterbanks. New terminology, fascinating mathematical derivations, but as far as I can see, few new results.

It is like the physicists decided that they needed signal processing, and instead of purchasing a book on signal processing, they used their (no doubt) brilliant minds to reinvent signal processing on their own. No doubt they did _something_ novel along the way, but the energy could perhaps have been put to better use by improving the existing stuff.

Yes, my professor was a wavelet sceptic. And perhaps if wavelets was presented as "a subgroup of filterbanks with some interesting properties" instead of the cure for all things bad and the Gabor limit , I would be more positive. Ah well:
"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."
-Arthur C. Clarke

-h
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on April 29, 2014, 06:48:58 am
In my original test I also had a 6 micron pixel camera with OLP filter. What I saw was that the OLP filter reduced colour moiré, but there was still some moiré and very much fake detail. So the conclusion I arrived at is that small pixels are more important to keep aliasing down than the OLP filter. It seems that the OLP filter is dimensioned to reduce colour aliasing, but doesn't affect grayscale moiré.

Hi Erik,

That's correct. If the goal were to eliminate aliasing on the undersampled R/B filtered channels the OLPF would throw away a lot of useful (less undersampled) G filtered data. So it aims at reducing the False Color artifacting, and some Luminance aliasing that's inherent to discrete sampling.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: bjanes on April 29, 2014, 03:57:27 pm
As a side note, thanks for posting the MTF data. It may give me some ideas on the possible gain by a high quality lens. Could you post the raw, I would be most thankful.

Erik,

Here is a link to the raw file which I uploaded to Adobe Creative Cloud. If you have not used this facility, simply load the link into your browser and click on the download button and then on the dropdown menu with the name of the file. It downloaded on my machine as _DSC3084.X-NIKON-NEF and had to be renamed to _DSC3084.NEF in order to be opened in ACR.

Regards,

Bill

http://adobe.ly/1rCmPEO
Title: Re: The Future of CCD Sensors (diversion to small vs. fat pixels)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 29, 2014, 05:42:51 pm
Bill,

I have downloaded the file. Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

Here is a link to the raw file which I uploaded to Adobe Creative Cloud. If you have not used this facility, simply load the link into your browser and click on the download button and then on the dropdown menu with the name of the file. It downloaded on my machine as _DSC3084.X-NIKON-NEF and had to be renamed to _DSC3084.NEF in order to be opened in ACR.

Regards,

Bill

http://adobe.ly/1rCmPEO