Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: design_freak on March 10, 2014, 01:28:19 pm
-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Years-Anni-Limited-PHASE-ONE-645DF-w-AF-80-2-8-LS-IQ280-80MP-Digital-Back-/281278690388?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item417d843454
I have not heard about this version. I hope that this is just a clever salesman from ebay !!!
-
Real funny advertise text:
And words "20 Years Anniversary Limited Edition" will appear on the boot screen, which makes this edition extremely special and collectible.
Thx for sharing
-
Huh - is it April 1st already ?
-
Its real. They produced them for the Chinese market. Heard they sold quite well.
Lance
-
The words digital and collectible in the same sentence makes laugh.
-
Oh Lord.
Horses for courses I guess.
-
Milking the last out of the model.
Edmund
-
During the interview with Kevin Raber it already became clear to me that the Phase One CEO is quite pleased with himself and with Phase One but this:
On the side of IQ280 digital back, there's a golden signature by Phase One CEO Henrik Hakonsson.
Really? It would probably be wise for Phase One to keep their feet on the ground…
And besides that, going back to the interview, Phase One is not the first to build a new platform from scratch. Leica did that years before them.
And an open system… Phase One does not support the Hy6, the most open camera platform on the market. Its software does not support their direct competitors like Hasselblad and Leica…. Open?
-
Phase One does not support the Hy6, the most open camera platform on the market.
Team Phase One absolutely supports the Hy6. The Credo 60 and 80 are available in Hy6 mounts and are made by Mamiya Leaf, a Team Phase One brand.
-
Team Phase One absolutely supports the Hy6. The Credo 60 and 80 are available in Hy6 mounts and are made by Mamiya Leaf, a Team Phase One brand.
I was talking about Phase One itself. And the Credo 60 and 80 backs don't have the rotating sensor of the AFi-II backs… which really leaves the Hy6 a bit crippled…
-
Horses for courses I guess.
That implies this horse can run faster on a specific course than it's less blingy cousin.
I for one strongly object to "special editions" which add no actual features/value/distinction other than exclusivity/styling.
But for the sake of argument let's tell a story about Bob the photographer.
Bob sells prints. His prints are fairly expensive. They are unusually well made, and have beautiful color, great tonality, and are printed on a very durable and long lasting paper. Bob usually sells his prints to professional decorators for inclusion in high end hotel lobbies and CEO's offices, but also sells a healthy share to very rich collectors. Bob gets approached by a Chinese dealer that says he can sell 99 of his most expensive prints for twice the price, if only Bob puts his signature on the back, tags it with a limited edition number, and delivers it in a special packaging. Should Bob say no?
My view is that he should say no - offering something of his for more money without any actual increase in underlying value is demeaning to the customer and erodes brand value. But I can also definitely understand why Bob would agree - especially when the whole thing is very transparent (i.e. the customer knows it's not better, it's just part of a limited release).
-
I was talking about Phase One itself. And the Credo 60 and 80 backs don't have the rotating sensor of the AFi-II backs… which really leaves the Hy6 a bit crippled…
I don't understand the distinction. This is like saying Volkswagen doesn't serve the sexy-car market (Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porche all brands under Volkwagen). Henrik is CEO of Team Phase One and is responsible for all the brands thereunder: Phase One, Leaf, and Mamiya.
I think a Credo with a rotating sensor would be great on the Hy6 - shame it doesn't have this feature. But then the AFI-II backs had a dim screen with a slow user interface that made practical use of the LCD for image review a major pain. Shooting vertical on a Hy6+Credo (take off, rotate, put back on) is IMO as good or better than on a 500 series, H body, or DF+. Regardless the best back made today for the Hy6 is a Team Phase One product - so saying Team Phase One doesn't support they Hy6 is a bit nonsensical.
-
Milking the last out of the model.
Edmund
Oh, you mean like this (http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/04/rebel-t2i550d-jackie-chan-edition/)?
-
Regardless the best back made today for the Hy6 is a Team Phase One product - so saying Team Phase One doesn't support they Hy6 is a bit nonsensical.
No, it is not nonsensical IMO. Whatever way you look at it, if you don't support a camera platform with your best product you are not fully embracing it… and you are sending a signal to the market...
-
No, it is not nonsensical IMO. Whatever way you look at it, if you don't support a camera platform with your best product you are not fully embracing it… and you are sending a signal to the market...
Well, even if I don't agree I understand where you are coming from.
-
Well, even if I don't agree I understand where you are coming from.
This whole business about Phase/Leaf is incomprehensible. Different SKUs, different cases, different screens, different software different sensor qualities for all I know, different component stocks, more demo products to stock for resalers. Why not just have one product range and pass on the savings to the "poor" customers? That might actually make life simpler for some.
Edmund
-
This whole business about Phase/Leaf is incomprehensible. Different SKUs, different cases, different screens, different software different sensor qualities for all I know, different component stocks, more demo products to stock for resalers. Why not just have one product range and pass on the savings to the "poor" customers? That might actually make life simpler for some.
Edmund
What do you care? You're buying neither and are building your own.
-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Years-Anni-Limited-PHASE-ONE-645DF-w-AF-80-2-8-LS-IQ280-80MP-Digital-Back-/281278690388?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item417d843454
68k?
OK, anybody that owns, works, is associated with Phase One should never complain about the hasselblad lunar, or the H series Ferrari edition.
I don't think Hanks gold signature is worth 68,000 Washingtons, but if they really do sell in china, I'm going to buy a gold sharpie and start signing everything I own.
BC
-
Oh, you mean like this (http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/04/rebel-t2i550d-jackie-chan-edition/)?
OMG. How many special edition cameras are there? Seems that all of them or most of them are marketed for the Far East market. Someone should make a blog post with a list and images. There might be enough to fill pages and pages.
And I obviously don't blame a manufacturer for doing them. If there is a market then by all means. I don't think it devalues the brand. I mean, us forum folk might chuckle and even rant a bit on some threads but we are obviously not the target market however diverse the forum population might be anyway.
-
Hi,
Good points, Doug.
Recently we had auction firms selling several limited series of photographs differing only in size. So in one gallery they had #7 of (12) of a 8x10" and another gallery had #5 of (9) of the same image printed 10x12".
Best regards
Erik
That implies this horse can run faster on a specific course than it's less blingy cousin.
I for one strongly object to "special editions" which add no actual features/value/distinction other than exclusivity/styling.
But for the sake of argument let's tell a story about Bob the photographer.
Bob sells prints. His prints are fairly expensive. They are unusually well made, and have beautiful color, great tonality, and are printed on a very durable and long lasting paper. Bob usually sells his prints to professional decorators for inclusion in high end hotel lobbies and CEO's offices, but also sells a healthy share to very rich collectors. Bob gets approached by a Chinese dealer that says he can sell 99 of his most expensive prints for twice the price, if only Bob puts his signature on the back, tags it with a limited edition number, and delivers it in a special packaging. Should Bob say no?
My view is that he should say no - offering something of his for more money without any actual increase in underlying value is demeaning to the customer and erodes brand value. But I can also definitely understand why Bob would agree - especially when the whole thing is very transparent (i.e. the customer knows it's not better, it's just part of a limited release).
-
I am most impressed by Hasselblad, they have a very nice kit including a binged up (or down) Sony SLT 99. The kit even include a special made hard case and Sony 24-70/2.8 ZA lens and even two batteries. I guess the lens is slightly improved by removing all references to Sony.
http://www.hasselblad-hv.com/whats-in-the-box.aspx
Best regards
Erik
OMG. How many special edition cameras are there? Seems that all of them or most of them are marketed for the Far East market. Someone should make a blog post with a list and images. There might be enough to fill pages and pages.
And I obviously don't blame a manufacturer for doing them. If there is a market then by all means. I don't think it devalues the brand. I mean, us forum folk might chuckle and even rant a bit on some threads but we are obviously not the target market however diverse the forum population might be anyway.
-
Hi,
Not only Far East.
(http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/picrumors001/162598_1382579062_zps74e5254f.jpg)
Russia is not so far east from here, some may even feel not far enough.
Best regards
Erik
OMG. How many special edition cameras are there? Seems that all of them or most of them are marketed for the Far East market. Someone should make a blog post with a list and images. There might be enough to fill pages and pages.
And I obviously don't blame a manufacturer for doing them. If there is a market then by all means. I don't think it devalues the brand. I mean, us forum folk might chuckle and even rant a bit on some threads but we are obviously not the target market however diverse the forum population might be anyway.
-
68k?
OK, anybody that owns, works, is associated with Phase One should never complain about the hasselblad lunar, or the H series Ferrari edition.
I don't think Hanks gold signature is worth 68,000 Washingtons, but if they really do sell in china, I'm going to buy a gold sharpie and start signing everything I own.
BC
James,
The equipment is probably worth a few bucks...
You're overreacting ;)
The Chinese market is difficult. You must be devoid of taste to exist there. Your works are "sophisticated", I'm sorry - you have no chance :D
-
68k?
OK, anybody that owns, works, is associated with Phase One should never complain about the hasselblad lunar, or the H series Ferrari edition.
I don't think Hanks gold signature is worth 68,000 Washingtons, but if they really do sell in china, I'm going to buy a gold sharpie and start signing everything I own.
BC
First, the Phase One infomercial masquerading as an interview, where the only real question about this hookup with Silverfleet is never asked: did the Phase management take the $80M or so from Silverfleet and pocket it or is it sitting in the company while they look for a good lighting company to buy? I think I know the answer, but they seem determined to have everyone believe otherwise. Now, we have this Special Edition Mamiya AFD. No lipstick for the pig...just a gold leafed signature of the CEO who apparently thinks he is a latter day Victor Hasselblad. Just think. For $100k, they could do the same camera with a Holographic image of the CEO talking about how Phase is an open platform.
There is bad taste..... and then there is hypocrisy.
-
I have the impression that almost all players (P1/Hasselblad) have a big problem with PR and marketing. Brand identity! That's the key.
Well, as I guess margin increased by $ 20 000 for each of the 99 cameras, giving nearly two million additional profit.
Well, nobody is perfect ;) Cash is cash
I understand and forgive
-
is the signature more durable than the eyepiece on an H camera or the paint on a Ferrari edition H4D40? i would be really disappointed if friction from the buttons on my Versace jacket would cause the gold leaf to part company while taking pics on my weekends in the Hamptons.
-
I have the impression that almost all players (P1/Hasselblad) have a big problem with PR and marketing. Brand identity! That's the key.
lol, the gems I get to read on the internet.
What should they do? Run an advertorial and an FPFC on Pop Photo?
I'm sorry, actually working in marketing, I found that incredibly hilarious.
-
i want an edition with the image quality professors face laser etched on the side so that if you look up close you can see it's made up of tiny 1's and 0's.
that would really appease my pixel peeping fetishes.
-
i want an edition with the image quality professors face laser etched on the side so that if you look up close you can see it's made up of tiny 1's and 0's.
that would really appease my pixel peeping fetishes.
But would that etching be better on a 135 format?
I guess we'll have to run some tests.
-
lol, the gems I get to read on the internet.
What should they do? Run an advertorial and an FPFC on Pop Photo?
I'm sorry, actually working in marketing, I found that incredibly hilarious.
Do you think that they are doing a good job? :)
-
I'd ditto that question.
-
That implies this horse can run faster on a specific course than it's less blingy cousin.
I for one strongly object to "special editions" which add no actual features/value/distinction other than exclusivity/styling.
But for the sake of argument let's tell a story about Bob the photographer.
Bob sells prints. His prints are fairly expensive. They are unusually well made, and have beautiful color, great tonality, and are printed on a very durable and long lasting paper. Bob usually sells his prints to professional decorators for inclusion in high end hotel lobbies and CEO's offices, but also sells a healthy share to very rich collectors. Bob gets approached by a Chinese dealer that says he can sell 99 of his most expensive prints for twice the price, if only Bob puts his signature on the back, tags it with a limited edition number, and delivers it in a special packaging. Should Bob say no?
My view is that he should say no - offering something of his for more money without any actual increase in underlying value is demeaning to the customer and erodes brand value. But I can also definitely understand why Bob would agree - especially when the whole thing is very transparent (i.e. the customer knows it's not better, it's just part of a limited release).
Bob is in business to make money right? he would be certifiable if he said no. Working on the principal an item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay, then Bob's prints are worth every penny.
-
If selling pimped products allows a company to be profitable, to pay salaries and develop "real" products, then I guess everything is ok.
It is kind of depressing on behalf of man kind, though. But then, not any more depressing than expensive anti-wrinkle creams, homeopathy, hifi cables....
-h
-
My friend calls it homeopathetic ::)
Kumar
-
Bob is in business to make money right? he would be certifiable if he said no. Working on the principal an item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay, then Bob's prints are worth every penny.
No. Certifiable to buy it. This is like paying 10 grand for an xbox that Bill Gates signed and at least the world knows who Bill Gates is.
It would be different if it Hank was the inventor, but ceo signatures that sell to a VC. I think that's a pass.
We're into this crazy period that anything that makes an extra 50 bucks is worth doing no matter if it's in bad taste. The worst part is you kind of get the feeling that the person signing it thought it was cool.
I'm guess Phase is a stable company, to me it's kind of smacks with let's sell why the selling is good.
I listened to parts of that interview that Kevin Raber did with his previous employer and though I'll admit I skipped over 70% of it, it said nothing. I was like a press release from Exxon/Mobile.
Of course, IMO
BC
-
No. Certifiable to buy it. This is like paying 10 grand for an xbox that Bill Gates signed and at least the world knows who Bill Gates is.
It would be different if it Hank was the inventor, but ceo signatures that sell to a VC. I think that's a pass.
We're into this crazy period that anything that makes an extra 50 bucks is worth doing no matter if it's in bad taste. The worst part is you kind of get the feeling that the person signing it thought it was cool.
I'm guess Phase is a stable company, to me it's kind of smacks with let's sell why the selling is good.
I listened to parts of that interview that Kevin Raber did with his previous employer and though I'll admit I skipped over 70% of it, it said nothing. I was like a press release from Exxon/Mobile.
Of course, IMO
BC
Its money, which makes the world go round these times ... at least for some ...
Cheers
~Chris
-
Profit? It depends upon how you compute it. Trading off future potential in exchange for short term gains is a questionable proposition.
Here's how the corporate "frenemy" thing works: Company tells me "I'm just deceiving these other people to make enough money to get by; I'd never do that to you!" I conclude right then and there: you're doing it to me too. You lost all my future business.
-
The thing that upsets me about this is that during the interview with Kevin Raber the guy said with rather patronizing superior attitude that Phase would never do “wooden handles”...
No, indeed, Phase doesn’t do wooden handles, they do golden signatures...
And where Hasselblad applies a markup of $5,000 Phase applies a markup of just short of $30,000...
-
The thing that upsets me about this is that during the interview with Kevin Raber the guy said with rather patronizing superior attitude that Phase would never do “wooden handles”...
No, indeed, Phase doesn’t do wooden handles, they do golden signatures...
And where Hasselblad applies a markup of $5,000 Phase applies a markup of just short of $30,000...
Personally it smacks of arrogance, mentioning Hasselblad in the negative.
Phase makes a good product, but they've had their faults.
IMO
BC
-
Oh, you mean like this (http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/04/rebel-t2i550d-jackie-chan-edition/)?
Well, now I know what I'm getting for my birthday!!
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/27/canon-brings-out-jackie-chan-branded-rebel-t2i-550d-for-chines/
-
I'd never guessed my design would beat theirs when I came up with this mock-up.
Reality trumps satire ...
Cheers
~Chris