Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: spacegrey on February 02, 2014, 11:01:26 am

Title: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: spacegrey on February 02, 2014, 11:01:26 am
Just curious how popular compatible inks are?
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: chez on February 02, 2014, 12:30:18 pm
I have multiple printers. I only use genuine HP ink in my HP Z3100 printers. I have recently converted a 3800 printer to use Piezography ink sets and am very pleased so far with the B&W results.
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: TylerB on February 02, 2014, 12:56:15 pm
you've left out one of the more artistically justifiable reasons to use an alternative ink- The OEM does not provide a superlative solution for a particular kind of printing, and a replacement does.. for example, Piezography.
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: spacegrey on February 02, 2014, 01:49:09 pm
Tyler, good point, I have a myopic view on the issue due to the lack of experience.
I can modify poll to add more options, would Piezography be the only artistically justifiable option?
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: TylerB on February 02, 2014, 02:37:20 pm
there are people using custom setups from inksupply.com for B&W work as well, but I'm not sure there is a standardized setup that could be easily referred to, Paul Roark on the yahoo B&W list would be the one to ask..
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint/conversations/messages
I think it would be difficult for you to accommodate every niche, maybe a catch-all category? Interesting poll, thanks
Tyler
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on February 02, 2014, 04:24:21 pm
Not to mention the use of for example HP Vivera pigment ink of a wide format model in an Epson printer or in a HP desktop printer originally intended for dye inks.

People can have more printers with different ink solutions.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: shadowblade on February 02, 2014, 08:46:16 pm
Piezography and MIS inks through Epson heads (i.e. Epson, Roland or Mimaki printers) for black-and white, AIS Ultramax inks through Epson heads for gamut and (anecdotal but not formally tested) longevity and HP inks through Epson heads for better print permanence come to mind.

Also, I've seen an Epson printer modified to use liver cells and connective tissue as 'inks'!
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: spacegrey on February 02, 2014, 10:54:13 pm
Piezography and MIS inks through Epson heads (i.e. Epson, Roland or Mimaki printers) for black-and white, AIS Ultramax inks through Epson heads for gamut and (anecdotal but not formally tested) longevity and HP inks through Epson heads for better print permanence come to mind.

Also, I've seen an Epson printer modified to use liver cells and connective tissue as 'inks'!

I wonder if there was meant to be a smiley face after "liver cells and connective tissue as 'inks'"?
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: shadowblade on February 03, 2014, 01:21:15 am
I wonder if there was meant to be a smiley face after "liver cells and connective tissue as 'inks'"?

No - they use it for tissue engineering research. I think they're modifying a 3D printer for the same role now, too.
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: Mike Raub on February 03, 2014, 05:30:17 pm
At one time engineers thought they would be able to print organic light emitting diode (OLED) display screens quickly and cheaply using modified inkjet printing technology. Given how long it has taken to bring OLED's to market and the price of the initial offerings, things were apparently more complicated than originally thought.
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: dannybirchwood on February 05, 2014, 06:00:42 am
I would never ever used anything other than originals, although I do get tempted sometimes
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: JohnBrew on February 05, 2014, 07:39:43 am
I own two different brand printers and the survey didn't allow two choices which I think is unfortunate. The only time I tried third-party inks I got massive clogs so I have stayed with factory ink ever since.
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: spacegrey on February 05, 2014, 08:53:28 am
I originally created it as a one vote per person not thinking that many folks would have multiple printers.
I tried to change it, but it doesn't seem to have an option to do that :(
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: JohnBrew on February 05, 2014, 12:27:52 pm
Oh, well. Thanks for the effort.
Title: Re: POLL: Genuine vs. Compatible ink use
Post by: NikoJorj on February 05, 2014, 12:34:49 pm
OCP inks in a Canon ix6520/ix6550, for the record...
I did also use InkJetFly inks in my (now defunct) R1800.

For an amateur who doesn't sell prints, cutting the price of ink by 10 is not unsignificant. Especially when there are few compromises involved (for OCP inks : none in print quality, but maybe some in print impermanence, it's a dye printer anyway).