Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on September 21, 2013, 08:37:53 pm

Title: A rare digital...
Post by: cjogo on September 21, 2013, 08:37:53 pm
Took the camera out a few months ago  ---
Title: Re: A digtial shot
Post by: cjogo on September 21, 2013, 09:06:30 pm
I know :: kind of schmaltz ;D
Title: Re: A digtial shot
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 21, 2013, 09:50:03 pm
I know :: kind of schmaltz ;D
Not bad, but not in a league with your old film images.  ;)
Title: Re: A digtial shot
Post by: cjogo on September 21, 2013, 10:08:52 pm
Not bad, but not in a league with your old film images.  ;)


That's why I leave that Canon thing in the bag most of the time > I was doing portraits along the trail --and it caught my eye  ;D

Glad I have books of negatives from the old film days to scan ... new ones up soon ...
Title: Re: A digtial shot
Post by: Harald L on September 22, 2013, 05:34:14 am
That's why I leave that Canon thing in the bag most of the time > I was doing portraits along the trail --and it caught my eye  ;D

Glad I have books of negatives from the old film days to scan ... new ones up soon ...

But you're aware that all the nice levers in PS can be shifted to the left as well?

;-)

Harald
Title: Re: A digtial shot
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 22, 2013, 09:32:21 am
... new ones up soon ...
Good!
Title: Re: A rare digital...
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 22, 2013, 02:44:07 pm
Perhaps a little less heavy handed on the saturation sliders...

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/9880210864_ff3fd995ef_o.jpg)
Title: Re: A rare digital...
Post by: Harald L on September 22, 2013, 03:30:42 pm
Looks much more naturally and you've preserved the sunbeams as well.

Harald
Title: Re: A rare digital...
Post by: francois on September 23, 2013, 07:31:34 am
The toned down version is much better, the light beams are beautiful…
Title: Re: A rare digital...
Post by: jjj on September 23, 2013, 09:21:18 am
I like the quality of the original version which has an interesting otherworldly look to it. A bit like it was shot taken during the Martian invasion in the War of the Worlds, due to the red moss[?] on the tree. :)
The second version looks a bit flat in comparison, but it's also a quarter of the size...
Title: Re: A rare digital...
Post by: Chris Calohan on September 23, 2013, 09:55:20 am
I like the quality of the original version which has an interesting otherworldly look to it. A bit like it was shot taken during the Martian invasion in the War of the Worlds, due to the red moss[?] on the tree. :)
The second version looks a bit flat in comparison, but it's also a quarter of the size...

Given the images in Futt-Futt-Futt, I'm a little bit taken aback that you like the more garish version of this shot. Much of your work, especially those in the Movie Stills is quite subdued in a grainy, if not somewhat flat presentation.
Title: Re: A rare digital...
Post by: fike on September 23, 2013, 10:31:08 am
How do you remember the light?  More red edging on the bark or less?

What is the light source of that red in the bark?  It looks like the sun is coming directly in front.  Is that red light reflected, or something?
Title: Re: A rare digital...
Post by: cjogo on September 23, 2013, 02:39:03 pm
The growth on the trees  is actually that red  http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2008/02/26/lichen-moss-trees-point-lobos-state-reserve/ (http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2008/02/26/lichen-moss-trees-point-lobos-state-reserve/)
Title: Re: A rare digital...
Post by: fike on September 23, 2013, 04:17:14 pm
The growth on the trees  is actually that red  http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2008/02/26/lichen-moss-trees-point-lobos-state-reserve/ (http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2008/02/26/lichen-moss-trees-point-lobos-state-reserve/)

Wow. Okay. So the bark is actually red, and the blueish-gray bark is the bark left in shadow.  That makes sense to me despite the fact that the image's colors appear improbable. 
Title: Re: A rare digital...
Post by: jjj on September 23, 2013, 05:43:33 pm
Given the images in Futt-Futt-Futt, I'm a little bit taken aback that you like the more garish version of this shot. Much of your work, especially those in the Movie Stills is quite subdued in a grainy, if not somewhat flat presentation.
It's more because the other one looks under exposed. Though it does make the beams of sunlight stand out more, so I'd combine the two looks.
I like lots of photography that looks very different from my own work - which can be quite varied anyway. Lots of colour in the Dance section. :)