Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on September 13, 2013, 02:31:47 am

Title: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 13, 2013, 02:31:47 am
Feet  are turned hard sideways -- lens flat against the glass -- up about 8+ feet off the ground~~  on a very small ledge -- tripod folded but holding the Super Wide.. The Louvre  ::  from outside looking in   :D
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: WalterEG on September 13, 2013, 02:48:54 am
Well worth the effort.

W
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 13, 2013, 03:18:18 am
No camera   & certainly no tripods in the Louvre -- the only way to capture that museum.   The walkway of tourists below me  > thought I was crazy,, of course.    It was about a 15+ second exposure  ;)
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: Harald L on September 13, 2013, 03:43:07 am
Feet  are turned hard sideways -- lens flat against the glass -- up about 8+ feet off the ground~~  on a very small ledge -- tripod folded but holding the Super Wide.. The Louvre  ::  from outside looking in   :D

Impressive story, but not told entirely. Tell us, how are the french jails? Do they waterboarding too? ;-)

Harald
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: Rob C on September 13, 2013, 04:02:08 am
Feet  are turned hard sideways -- lens flat against the glass -- up about 8+ feet off the ground~~  on a very small ledge -- tripod folded but holding the Super Wide.. The Louvre  ::  from outside looking in   :D


And after going to all that trouble, you overexposed! What a shame.

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 13, 2013, 12:58:26 pm

And after going to all that trouble, you overexposed! What a shame.

;-)

Rob C

Not sure -- check the highlights  -- still registering Zone 7+ -- at least detail on my screen --& the INFO in CS data. 
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: Rob C on September 13, 2013, 02:41:14 pm
Doesn't that depend on how you make the file?

To my eye, it's the look of overexposed film on a too hard paper, but I've got early glaucoma, so what the hell...

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: AndrewKulin on September 13, 2013, 09:46:38 pm
The Marly Horses.  My favourite spot in the Louvre. 

And although I see a reflection in the top centre-left of the photograph , not sure why you say this is taken through glass from "outside" the Louvre as from this vantage point there should be a whole lot of museum behind you.

And you say you were on a small ledge 8 feet off the ground?  And none of the security guards stopped you?

And I like the image by the way.
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 13, 2013, 10:47:43 pm
The Marly Horses.  My favourite spot in the Louvre.  

And although I see a reflection in the top centre-left of the photograph , not sure why you say this is taken through glass from "outside" the Louvre as from this vantage point there should be a whole lot of museum behind you.

And you say you were on a small ledge 8 feet off the ground?  And none of the security guards stopped you?

And I like the image by the way.
I believe there are three side entrances to the pyramid--- ( probably the West entrance ) there was construction going on > so I climbed the planks until I could see this angle .. that's the reflection from a 38mm lens  up in the corner , I think.  So, no gendarmes .. just tourist watching me climb ...I was down under 8 minutes , I'm sure.  With my tripod and spot meter > probably thought I was just working / surveying  the job site ... ;D
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 15, 2013, 12:56:23 pm
The Marly Horses.  My favourite spot in the Louvre. 

And although I see a reflection in the top centre-left of the photograph , not sure why you say this is taken through glass from "outside" the Louvre as from this vantage point there should be a whole lot of museum behind you.

And you say you were on a small ledge 8 feet off the ground?  And none of the security guards stopped you?

And I like the image by the way.

Never been in the Louvre == it must have been Passage Richelieu ???   
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: jjj on September 15, 2013, 02:31:02 pm
To my eye, it's the look of overexposed film on a too hard paper, but I've got early glaucoma, so what the hell...
;-)
There's actually a cure for glaucoma. Despite that, I have heard it is the leading cause of blindness.
The 'problem' with the cure is that it's illegal, which doesn't prevent its widespread use and availability to anyone who wants it for pleasure. The cure is marijuana - certain strains to be precise.

A relative of mine from the US noticed that the glaucoma that he developed whilst still at college was ameliorated whenever he used dope. He then spent many years going through the US courts and eventually got the first legal [US] prescription to treat this condition.  ;D   This was in the 70s and it's still not universally available for medicinal treatment.  >:(
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 15, 2013, 03:48:01 pm
Doesn't that depend on how you make the file?

To my eye, it's the look of overexposed film on a too hard paper, but I've got early glaucoma, so what the hell...

;-)

Rob C

I refer to the INFO in CS  ....  we know 0 is pure black ( 3 on most papers will suffice )  and 255 is pure white ... I have a calibrated monitor to my out-sourced printers ... So, we just follow the settings of the INFO ...  the highlights (we want detail = Zone 7 ) should be registering about 241 -247


BUT : yes this should had been a -1 development ... I shot for the Zone 3 in the left hand door .. and the highlights seemed to fall OK on the meter...


THE MAIN culprit could had been my mid-diagnosis of RECIPROCITY .    No one has to worry about such tech stuff in the modern digital world .  ;D    This was a long exposure -- and 5 sec discrepancy could move the highlights beyond .

Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: brandtb on September 16, 2013, 08:13:27 am
Joe - why so much effort for this shot/view? I don't find anything interesting about this in particular...was there something that you found captivating or memorable about it that warranted the effort? /B
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: stamper on September 16, 2013, 09:45:22 am
Certainly not overexposed on my monitor. I like the view, the processing but the angle of the shot is off putting. I accept it was a difficult shot to get - going by your description - but easily straightened in PS and worth the effort. :)
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: jjj on September 16, 2013, 09:47:51 am
Joe - why so much effort for this shot/view? I don't find anything interesting about this in particular...was there something that you found captivating or memorable about it that warranted the effort? /B
I gather that it is something you are forbidden from photographing once inside.
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 16, 2013, 01:43:21 pm
Joe - why so much effort for this shot/view? I don't find anything interesting about this in particular...was there something that you found captivating or memorable about it that warranted the effort? /B

More like :: just being able to photograph "inside" the forbidden Louvre  :D  And knowing no one has this angle  ;)
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 16, 2013, 01:45:03 pm
I gather that it is something you are forbidden from photographing once inside.

Now everyone has a small digital -- probably can shoot all you desire .     BUT in those days : required a large tripod and long exposures  >> not a grab a shot with the iphone  ;D
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 16, 2013, 01:48:16 pm
Certainly not overexposed on my monitor. I like the view, the processing but the angle of the shot is off putting. I accept it was a difficult shot to get - going by your description - but easily straightened in PS and worth the effort. :)

Thanks will try the TRANSFORM > but I always seem to cut off some of my image after the straightening ...  this camera was not a SLR .. so not easy to get my lines totally correct .. just a little viewfinder on top & I'm against the glass ..
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: brandtb on September 16, 2013, 02:00:03 pm
to the original point...
Quote
just being able to photograph "inside" the forbidden Louvre.. knowing no one has this angle
...can't say these are compelling reasons to shoot this image...
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 16, 2013, 02:09:58 pm
to the original point......can't say these are compelling reasons to shoot this image...

Maybe just frustrated that I could not enter the Louvre .... without leaving my camera at home  ::) And I like architecture
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 16, 2013, 02:13:35 pm
Certainly not overexposed on my monitor. I like the view, the processing but the angle of the shot is off putting. I accept it was a difficult shot to get - going by your description - but easily straightened in PS and worth the effort. :)

You have my permission to grab the shot and manipulate -- reload it back here.   I tried and lost too much of the image.  I think the right side might have a perpendicular-vertical  line.  With a SLR I always had a grid screen ... there was no CS to "repair"  > You had to edit BEFORE you took the shoot  ;D
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: stamper on September 17, 2013, 03:35:54 am
Thanks for the offer but I don't believe in editing images that have already been edited, especially low rez jpegs. To edit properly an image like this then the original has to be imported to PS, converted to a smart object and as you have pointed out have room round the edges that can be cropped. You would need to start from the beginning again. :)
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 17, 2013, 05:34:30 pm
Thanks for the offer but I don't believe in editing images that have already been edited, especially low rez jpegs. To edit properly an image like this then the original has to be imported to PS, converted to a smart object and as you have pointed out have room round the edges that can be cropped. You would need to start from the beginning again. :)

Looks straightened -- but too much to lose of the image > if I was to crop  :(

Maybe just don't know the procedures in SMART OBJECT  -- never used that application  >> just the TRANSFORM ..
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: jjj on September 17, 2013, 07:09:58 pm
It may be a good test for LR5's new upright tool. (http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html#Upright%20-%20Automatic%20Perspective%20Correction)
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 17, 2013, 08:33:37 pm
I think TRANFORM does the same -- BUT they all loose some of the image ...  I would say 97% of all my photos are corrected in camera  ;) This one was unavoidable .. :'(
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: jjj on September 17, 2013, 08:49:03 pm
LR's new tool can do it automatically though.
If I take a shot that can't be done 'correctly' in camera I shoot a bit wider so that once transformed I don't lose parts of the image I want.
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 17, 2013, 09:09:10 pm
Never have used LR ... mainly just scan my early art negs --- I think LR would be just great for DSLR, though   ~!  I almost always correct in camera ..just old school training from the view camera.  You could not "fix" in post work from the analog days  ;D
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: jjj on September 18, 2013, 06:02:19 am
Certainly it's aways best to get it right in camera, but like the Louvre shot sometimes it's just not possible.
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 18, 2013, 01:37:44 pm
Glad I didn't fall -- not for my body being broken  BUT fear for all my camera gear hanging on me  ;D
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: jjj on September 18, 2013, 02:41:26 pm
Hurts when you land on it too I'd guess!  :o
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 18, 2013, 03:33:12 pm
Dangerous stuff to fall on --  ;D
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on September 22, 2013, 10:24:07 am
I didn't know you couldn't take a camera inside the Louvre. 

Oops,
Dale
Title: Re: One impossible shot
Post by: cjogo on September 22, 2013, 05:39:55 pm
I didn't know you couldn't take a camera inside the Louvre.  

Oops,
Dale


 This must be after you weren't required to use tripods to take photos  ;D

I figure that would be about 1/4 second at 5.6  with my Hassy  ;)