Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: felix5616 on September 08, 2013, 04:08:51 pm

Title: Protective spray for matte papers
Post by: felix5616 on September 08, 2013, 04:08:51 pm
I have a HVLP fuji sprayer. I would like a matte finish spray to protect matte surfaces after printing. Any recommendations for protective sprays that are designed for matter papers?
Title: Re: Protective spray for matte papers
Post by: Ken Doo on September 08, 2013, 06:46:55 pm
Premier Print Shield spray---in an aerosol can.

If I need more protection on matte fine art papers, I use Breathing Color's Timeless matte----and roll it on.  HVLP sprayer doesn't work as well here for me.

ken
Title: Re: Protective spray for matte papers
Post by: Bullfrog on September 08, 2013, 08:08:10 pm
I use Hahnemuhle's spray.  In a can. 
Title: Re: Protective spray for matte papers
Post by: KirbyKrieger on September 08, 2013, 09:57:37 pm
Premier Print Shield spray---in an aerosol can.

If I need more protection on matte fine art papers, I use Breathing Color's Timeless matte----and roll it on.  HVLP sprayer doesn't work as well here for me.

ken

Hi Ken -- just confirming: you roll Breathing Color's Timeless matte varnish on ink-jet prints and ... don't put them under glass?  I've been looking for a way to sell matte prints without glass.  Much of my work has extensive black areas, which are, IME, especially prone to bruising.  Thanks.  --Kirby.
Title: Re: Protective spray for matte papers
Post by: Ken Doo on September 09, 2013, 08:14:43 am
Hi Kirby,

I'm not a fan of rolling. It's not that rolling is so difficult, but that HVLP is so much easier.  That being said, I've found that when applying a sealant/protectant heavier than something like Premier Art Print Shield---rolling works best to really work in the varnish.  I haven't had good luck with other varnishes like Glamour II; only rolling Timeless works for me consistently. 

These prints have been off of an Epson 9900. Some have gone under glass anyway, but I've actually been stretching the prints like a gallery wrapped canvas.  It's not something that I do often.

I do believe I might have made a small video (not sure I can find it) pouring coffee and ice cream on a matte print (protected with Timeless) and rinsing it off with water.   ;D

ken