Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on August 25, 2013, 07:04:56 pm

Title: Budapest Door
Post by: David Eckels on August 25, 2013, 07:04:56 pm
I've seen many interesting "Door" photos here. Please help with this one from the Jewish Quarter in Budapest. I am in a quandary trying to choose. The B&W rendering reminds me of some of cjogo's and others, which I admire.
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: Harald L on August 25, 2013, 07:17:06 pm
The graffiti makes it kind of trash. I would use b/w and give the contrast-lever a decent push.
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: cjogo on August 25, 2013, 07:51:38 pm
I would had walked a few more yards down ..maybe up an alley...The architecture is there in the surrounding neighborhood ~ just another spot would had maybe been better.  

From a guy who shoots lots of doors -- especially in Central Europe .
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: francois on August 26, 2013, 03:43:54 am
I'd choose B&W over color in this situation but I'm not particularly fond of graffitis…
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: kencameron on August 26, 2013, 05:16:21 am
The graffiti makes it kind of trash.
Interesting. For me the graffiti make the image. How things are in Budapest now rather than just another pretty picture.
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 26, 2013, 06:44:11 am
The graffiti makes it kind of trash. I would use b/w and give the contrast-lever a decent push.

My thoughts exactly. I like off-centre framing but I think it's a shame that the right of the doorframe has been cut off.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: fike on August 26, 2013, 08:51:27 am
I go a different way here.  I think the graffiti IS the subject in the image, and it shows better in the color image.  The black and white image is incongruent because it looks like you are trying to process the photo to appear archaic while the modern graffiti keeps pulling the viewer's mind back to the modern world.  I think you need to process the image to reinforce its strength--colorful, modern graffiti juxtaposed against old world stone.

I would also consider straightening the image out a bit--possibly using a warp, skew or distort.  By doing this you could straighten the window ledge at the top of the image (make it parallel to the top of the frame) and the bottom of the door. 
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: David Eckels on August 26, 2013, 09:01:38 am
I would had walked a few more yards down ..maybe up an alley...The architecture is there in the surrounding neighborhood ~ just another spot would had maybe been better.  

From a guy who shoots lots of doors -- especially in Central Europe .
I did and just haven't gotten to them, yet. I found the setting very intriguing. A different and somewhat difficult venue for me. And I've seen your doors. Terrific. As I think about, the subject really was the graffiti, the door and surrounds just context.
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: Rob C on August 26, 2013, 09:10:36 am
I like the image a lot; it's a shame that the whole surrounding of the doorway isn't shown, but I do agree that in this case, the graffiti is the message. There! I said it! An image with a message, could I but understand the graffiti!

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: David Eckels on August 26, 2013, 11:13:35 am
Final. Thanks for the comments!
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: RSL on August 26, 2013, 11:34:18 am
It's a good shot, David. Like Rob, I wish you'd expanded a bit and shown more of the area around the door. Like several others, I prefer the B&W version.
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: David Eckels on August 26, 2013, 02:12:55 pm
I have a couple frames, though this was the sharpest. I will have to look at the others, maybe I can make a silk purse ;) I will keep looking to shoot these sorts of shots.
Title: Re: Budapest Door
Post by: cjogo on August 26, 2013, 04:18:03 pm
Never had the freedom to just "roam" with my camera > without a tripod and pockets of film. A vest full of heavy gear.    I used to "work" an image for 10-25 minutes a shot. This looks like fun  ;)  A great grab shot of street graffiti ~!