Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Mjollnir on August 23, 2013, 10:50:31 am
-
Interesting study in color and form, or just multi-hued self-puffery?
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7421/9577573822_dd0cfd772c_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/9577573822/)
Hollywood August Morning, Stylized #5a (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/9577573822/) by tanngrisnir3 (http://www.flickr.com/people/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
-
With a little grain, you're on the right track to symbolic mysticism.
No, I hold no beef with you because you can access a pool; I can access a sea and that makes me neither better nor worse a person than I was when I couldn't.
Rob C
-
... multi-hued self-puffery?
MRI of your soul (searching)? ;)
-
With a little grain, you're on the right track to symbolic mysticism.
No, I hold no beef with you because you can access a pool; I can access a sea and that makes me neither better nor worse a person than I was when I couldn't.
Rob C
Oh, hell, I wasn't bragging about having a pool; I'd rather live w/out one actually, but it's part of the complex where I live.
I grew up on the coast, and miss it a lot. Living in Hollywood, I'm now near the coast, but it's just not the same thing as the Central Coast.
-
Oh, hell, I wasn't bragging about having a pool; I'd rather live w/out one actually, but it's part of the complex where I live.
I grew up on the coast, and miss it a lot. Living in Hollywood, I'm now near the coast, but it's just not the same thing as the Central Coast.
Hey, relax! I wasn’t intending to imply that at all.
To tell you a secret: when we were buying, we decided to look for places without pools. Pool, as in private villa, is wonderful; in a complex it means noise, thousands of additional kids from everywhere else, loud other-people’s music (only mine is good) and filth and additional expense for a thing one would inevitably find oneself shunning.
With time, many aspects of sunshine living that initially seemed attractive cease to be that remarkably easily. Beaches, for example, soon became a curse of sand in the car, in the house and everywhere else. Homes on the prima linea – front line - are the worst, especially off-season when the various stronger Mediterranean winds blow. The promenades look like desert scenes out of a spaghetti western with local varieties of tumbleweed and broken flowers from shattered pots racing across the desert/new beach that was the former, expensively paved summer walkway. As for the buildings, here, a click inland, we can get seven or so years between paint jobs; sand and salty gales strip paint and what it does to marine varnish on woodwork isn’t pretty either.
And yes, I appreciate that you miss the ocean; I would too, and that’s a factor that always raises itself whenever I think seriously about selling this place, something that for inheritance purposes would make a lot of sense. Then I ask myself, back in Britain, where would I find good ten-euro del dia lunches five days a week, followed by exhilarating if exhausting strolls down through the glamour world of yachts? Problems, always problems; ain’t nuttin’ perfect.
Rob C
-
To tell you a secret...
Rob, your prose is right out of something by F Scott Fitzgerald! Truly.
-
Rob, your prose is right out of something by F Scott Fitzgerald! Truly.
I hope that's good; my mother would have known, but she's long gone, poor soul.
She loved the Bloomsbury Set stuff with a vengeance; Virginia Woolf was her favourite. I owe her a lot - my mother; Virginia I'm too young to have met. Do you realise: that's one of the very rare occasions when I have recently had opportunity to think of myself as too young!
There's hope yet.
;-)
Rob C
-
I hope that's good; my mother would have known, but she's long gone, poor soul.
She loved the Bloomsbury Set stuff with a vengeance; Virginia Woolf was her favourite. I owe her a lot - my mother; Virginia I'm too young to have met. Do you realise: that's one of the very rare occasions when I have recently had opportunity to think of myself as too young!
There's hope yet.
;-)
Rob C
I like your stories.