Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: dwnelson on August 23, 2013, 12:40:31 am
-
I'm looking to buy a Nikon 400/2.8 VR, and I'd like to save a little money and get a lightly used one. I am interested in learning how to get a good deal. I have time and patience... I don't need it right now, so I'm willing to wait several months until the right one comes along.
First, I'd like to buy from a reputable seller that has a return policy (I bought a lemon 300/2.8 from B&H and promptly returned it).
Second, I'd like to buy out of state to avoid sales tax.
B&H, Adorama and KEH are my top three choices.
Adorama sells them from $7950 to $8400. New they run $9000... so I'm saving up to $1000 by buying used.
On eBay refurbished ones are currently going for $7300 to $7800. I am nervous about eBay, I have gotten burned before. The prices are cheaper too... another red flag.
Another option is to buy locally from a photographer, but I don't know how many of those are on the market. Plus, it would be hard to get that much cash in hand (!), and I wouldn't have much recourse if something didn't go well.
Any thoughts?
-
You could contact some of the lens rental places, too. They seem to turn over lenses pretty quickly, and they've been well maintained (though maybe used a little harder than normal.)
-
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1229351/0?keyword=400mm#11701834
are you tied to Nikon? what is your budget? the new Canon's are much lighter weight - and these do come up for sale occasionally...
-
A little googling on ebay refurb seller might help sort things out. For example, Cameta sells a lot of refurbs on eBay and is completely legit.
-
Thanks, I will check out Fred Miranda. Unfortunately I am pretty tied to Nikon, though I was envious of the 8.5lb weight of the Canon 400/2.8. Wow. I love me my D800E though!
I think the next Nikon will be lighter, especially if they use the FL glass as in the 800/5.6. I shudder at the prospective price though! :o
Two weekends ago I rented a 14lb Nikon 600/4 AF-S I. That thing was ridiculous.
-
Here's one at Fred Miranda...
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1226534/0?keyword=nikon,400#11676964
-
that's a good deal at FM...especially if the extras are thrown in as part of the $7k plus shipping....If I was looking for that lens in Nikon, I would purchase it.