Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on June 06, 2013, 08:38:59 am

Title: Just a Road
Post by: David Eckels on June 06, 2013, 08:38:59 am
Struggling with this one. For some reason I find the image compelling, but something still bothers me about it. Tried color and B/W. Thought I'd put it out there for comments from my colleagues. Have at it, if you'd be so kind!
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: RSL on June 06, 2013, 11:42:48 am
I like it, David. It's compelling because it speaks to me of peace and fecundity. But it skirts awfully close to cliché, and that may be what bothers you.

I'll vote for the color version. The B&W loses too much of the fresh life bursting out in those green leaves.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Riccardo on June 06, 2013, 12:20:57 pm
Russ is right. The black and white version is focused on the "S" shape of the road, and this is a cliché.
In the color version prevails the luxuriance of the green vegetation, which harmonizes well with the color of the road.
In the BW version I look at the "S" shape of the road.
In the color version I immerse myself.
The color version is very pleasant
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: David Eckels on June 06, 2013, 02:55:48 pm
Russ, Ricardo, thanks for the comments. You're right, part of what caught my eye was the cloistered greenness of an overcast day...and the road was just a path. I will have to ponder this some more. I am glad you could pick up on the mood. Someone is now about to spoil our party ;)
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: nemo295 on June 06, 2013, 04:25:57 pm
I like them both, but I'm leaning towards the feeling of mystery in the b&w version.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Harald L on June 06, 2013, 05:57:44 pm
I like the b/w much more may be because I'm driving such a road twice a day... But when I've played with your b/w a little bit I've found out that your picture tolerates much more of contrast in order to enhance the mood of mystery.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 06, 2013, 06:00:54 pm
... Someone is now about to spoil our party ;)

At your service, Sir!

My take:
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: nemo295 on June 06, 2013, 06:05:05 pm
I like the darker, moodier feel and the cooler color palette of Slobodan's version.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: AFairley on June 06, 2013, 06:06:11 pm
Well that is different, Slobodan!  But what I like about the original is the transition from dark to light and your version loses some of that ambience.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Harald L on June 06, 2013, 06:11:59 pm
I've got a question regarding your rules in this forum: Is it generally allowed to post modified pictures in order to discuss a picture?
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 06, 2013, 06:16:52 pm
I've got a question regarding your rules in this forum: Is it generally allowed to post modified pictures in order to discuss a picture?

It would be nice to ask first.

However, since David and I are old forum friends and have done it several times in the past, I believe I have his standing approval for modifications.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 06, 2013, 06:21:10 pm
Well that is different, Slobodan!...

Indeed. What i did is typically known as "American Night," a movie technique used to simulate a night scene while filming in daylight.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: David Eckels on June 06, 2013, 06:51:40 pm
I've got a question regarding your rules in this forum: Is it generally allowed to post modified pictures in order to discuss a picture?
As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Indeed, Slobodan has been gracious enough to show me when I wasn't getting what he was saying; I have learned a ton from this exchange (tonne for you Euro folks). My take on adjustments (certainly for me, especially when posting to "User Critiques") is that if they're well intentioned then modify away. I always make sure to send the copies to trash right away after checking EXIF data or trying (and maybe posting) a mod. Hope that seems right; there are more experienced forum denizens than I with perhaps different views.

Slobodan, that mod certainly was interesting. Is it a filter or a technique? Serious question: Is there something about a photo like this (perhaps its ambiguity?) that renders it amenable to multiple interpretations? Of course I could be over thinking it like I seem to do a lot with PP ;)
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 06, 2013, 08:09:19 pm
... Slobodan, that mod certainly was interesting. Is it a filter or a technique? Serious question: Is there something about a photo like this (perhaps its ambiguity?) that renders it amenable to multiple interpretations?...

My modification is rather simple: white balance into the blue, slight exposure darkening and strong post-crop vignette.

What makes this photo (well seen, btw) "open to interpretation" is the positive side of a cliché: it contains recognizable and symbolic elements, each carrying its metaphorical meaning - winding deserted road, s-curve, deep forest. I added night and moonlight, again each with their own metaphorical meanings.

My take on clichés is that they are like comfort food, sickening in large amounts, but, boy, does it make you feel good when the timing and quantity is right ;)
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: AFairley on June 06, 2013, 10:43:03 pm
I should never have had that fourth cliché . . . .     :(
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: David Eckels on June 07, 2013, 07:46:29 am
I should never have had that fourth cliché . . . .     :(
LOL. Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going with the color version, for now.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 08, 2013, 08:24:51 am
As to clichés and edits...I think once you put your work up for critique, it's pretty much fair game for whatever as long as whatever is done for the purpose of demonstrating another take. I could tell you or Dave lots of possibilities but language sometimes becomes a barrier whereas, for the sake of another cliché, a picture is worth a thousand words. I don't edit many, but there are those occasions... ;D so shoot me, already!

And, to the cliché shot: can we really allow ourselves to ignore these shots every time? I think as a cliché, Dave's works fine. Were there two little kids holding hands taking a stroll, then we get in to kitsch and that's where I tend to draw the line...just my opinion.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Tonysx on June 08, 2013, 08:17:41 pm
As Slobodan has already shown, PP can provide any amount of (possibly) acceptable alterations. Perhaps these will induce David to essay his own?





Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: RSL on June 08, 2013, 09:07:25 pm
Interesting. None of the "improvements" have come close to the quality of the first version.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Tonysx on June 08, 2013, 09:32:26 pm
Interesting. None of the "improvements" have come close to the quality of the first version.
I don't think that Slobodan or I claimed an improvement, merely an alternative. And I'm unsure as to which piece of "quality" has been degraded? We've both changed light/colour and if this is detrimental so be it. Just goes to show - "Quality is in the eye of the beholder".
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: David Eckels on June 09, 2013, 08:57:03 am
Interesting. None of the "improvements" have come close to the quality of the first version.
Thanks, Russ. I do appreciate seeing the different interpretations; to see through someone else's eyes is always a learning experience. What was it AA said, if the negative (digital in this case) is the score, the print (image) is the performance.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: RSL on June 09, 2013, 10:30:35 am
Believe me, David, I agree. One of the best things about LuLa's User Critiques is that people feel free to demonstrate ideas rather than having to try to explain in words what they mean. I don't always agree with Slobodan, but he's come up with some really useful demonstrations that have helped me finalize a picture or two.

Yeah, that's what Ansel said and in a sense I think that's true, but I also think too many people take that to mean that the real work goes on in Photoshop, not in your head at exposure time. I have a friend who spends hours and hours putting smiles on faces, opening closed eyes, adding features that weren't there -- to correct badly shot pictures. I've suggested he spend more time trying to get better exposures, but working on the computer is what he enjoys most. So be it. . . to each his own.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: David Eckels on June 09, 2013, 11:12:57 am
Yes, and if anybody "did it in his head" at exposure, it was AA! Like most Grand Masters, he could envision the entire piece beginning to end, before it was even created/captured/written etc.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 09, 2013, 11:25:39 am
Yes, and if anybody "did it in his head" at exposure, it was AA! Like most Grand Masters, he could envision the entire piece beginning to end, before it was even created/captured/written etc.

Guys, just do not get too carried away with that pre-visualization concept. Nice as it is, it is not "the measure of all things." Otherwise, how would you explain different interpretations, by him, of some of his most famous images, over time? Those that got progressively more aggressive, darker, more contrastive? Which "end" then he had in mind when he pressed the shutter?
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Rob C on June 09, 2013, 12:07:04 pm
1.  I agree that the negative or file and even, at a push, transparency can be seen as a template or frame within which many things can, and probably should be allowed to happen.

2.  I do not subscribe to that mindset in the case of professional work, where I believe that the photographer's head should be clearly focussed on what he is supposed to be coming back home with - the quality of the bacon is important; there is seldom time (or money) to indulge in second-guesses and reshoots.

3.  Copying others' work and making 'improvements'. One should always ask first for two main reasons: copyright, if we ignore it here, is devalued everywhere; not to ask first smacks of an unpleasant arrogance. Of course, that's just my personal belief - other snappers may feel quite the opposite about their work, and that's fine by me, especially if such treatment of their images is something they want from the forum, and think that it can help them.

Basically, that the photographer's own vision be respected as the final cut was the concept behind Without Prejudice, a place to put images without the 'corrections' that some like to add or suggest, and which can be quite irritating.

Rob C

Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: RSL on June 09, 2013, 02:08:10 pm
I agree with Slobodan. When I talk about what goes on in your head at exposure time I'm not talking about Ansel's approach, walking around with a Weston meter, checking tone values so you can fit them within the zone system. I'm talking about what Henri meant when he said: " To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as of a precise organization of forms which give that event its proper expression." He also said: "In photography, visual organization can stem only from a developed instinct." It's interesting that when Ansel rushed to the top of his van and set up his camera to shoot Moonrise Over Hernandez he found he'd forgotten his light meter and realized he didn't have time to go back down and get it. At that point it wasn't the zone system that made the picture. It was his developed instinct.

Lately I've been staying away from the street and romancing my other love: wabi sabi. But even in landscape or wabi sabi I'm convinced that the glance that made you raise your camera is where the truth lies. You can dork around in Photoshop all you want, but if you have a developed instinct the best result is going to show what made you raise the camera in the first place.

And Rob's probably right that it's best to ask first before you demonstrate a critique, but as I've said several times before, you always have my permission to show me instead of talking around the issue. Of course, I reserve the right to disagree with what you're showing me, but even if I disagree I always appreciate a second opinion.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Riccardo on June 09, 2013, 02:44:32 pm
Guys, just do not get too carried away with that pre-visualization concept. Nice as it is, it is not "the measure of all things." Otherwise, how would you explain different interpretations, by him, of some of his most famous images, over time? Those that got progressively more aggressive, darker, more contrastive? Which "end" then he had in mind when he pressed the shutter?

I agree that the concept of previsualization is not the measure of all things (see, eg, Garry Winogrand and his famous statement: "I photograph to find out what something looks like when photographed"). On the other hand even Ansel Adams is not the measure of all things.
The measure of all things is how one perceives himself as a photographer. Some consider the photographer a creator of images, others, such as myself, a finder of images: all images already exist and what the photographer essentially does, when he finds an image that is worth, is to build  a "camera obscura" around it and fix the image on a photosensitive plate or a digital sensor. It's like a gold prospector.
It's a very primitive approach, but the charm of photography lies in the fact of being an involuntary art  which imposed itself with a charm that is its own.
My opinion is that attempts to make the photography more "artistic", twisting it with over post-production (a sort of new pictorialism), have as a result  to weaken it.
I fully endorse Russ's statement:
Quote
the glance that made you raise your camera is where the truth lies.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 09, 2013, 02:50:09 pm
... I'm convinced that the glance that made you raise your camera is where the truth lies. You can dork around in Photoshop all you want, but if you have a developed instinct the best result is going to show what made you raise the camera in the first place...

Russ, that is beautifully put.

As a matter of fact, I am going to quote it in another thread (about ethics of photo manipulation) in my answer to Ken Richmond.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Rob C on June 09, 2013, 04:36:13 pm
  all images already exist and what the photographer essentially does, when he finds an image that is worth, is to build  a "camera obscura" around it and fix the image on a photosensitive plate or a digital sensor. It's like a gold prospector.



Not so. That may be so (as I have frequently argued) in the case of so-called landscape photography, but certainly not when you think in terms of model photography or still life.

Working with people is entirely something else: you start with a minimum (if you are in luck) of two people standing there, looking at one another. What happens next is what makes you and your model either good or not good. There's nobody else to thank or to blame. You create or you fail. You do not simply erect a tripod, frame what's there and wait for the light to change or not to change before you press the button.

Rob C
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Riccardo on June 10, 2013, 04:43:57 am
Not so. That may be so (as I have frequently argued) in the case of so-called landscape photography, but certainly not when you think in terms of model photography or still life.
Rob C

You're right, of course, in the sense that these kinds of images require competences that are not specifically photographic, i.e. the ability to create a scenario and to interact with models. You must play the role of the set designer and director and, in the case of professional models, they must play the role of actors, competences that transcend the medium used.
If I look at someone who prepares a still life or who is giving instructions to a model, I can't know in advance if his intentions are to paint or to photograph the scenario that he is setting up.
If he is a painter, he will create the final image. If he's a photographer, he will capture an image that is formed automatically during the set up.
I was referring mainly to the essence and specificity of the photographic medium and to the fact that, with rare exceptions, the expressive power of the medium is generally weakened by an excess of post-production (this is not true, of course, in areas such as advertising photography).
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Rob C on June 10, 2013, 05:03:54 am
You're right, of course, in the sense that these kinds of images require competences that are not specifically photographic, i.e. the ability to create a scenario and to interact with models. You must play the role of the set designer and director and, in the case of professional models, they must play the role of actors, competences that transcend the medium used.
If I look at someone who prepares a still life or who is giving instructions to a model, I can't know in advance if his intentions are to paint or to photograph the scenario that he is setting up.
If he is a painter, he will create the final image. If he's a photographer, he will capture an image that is formed automatically during the set up.I was referring mainly to the essence and specificity of the photographic medium and to the fact that, with rare exceptions, the expressive power of the medium is generally weakened by an excess of post-production (this is not true, of course, in areas such as advertising photography).


I'm afraid you missed the point there: the play on create/capture is real but not applicable. There is nothing automatic at all about model photography nor, for that matter, about still life. If anything, it is so delicately balanced and unlikely to result in success (beyond that of technical competence) that when it does, the pleasure is palpable in the studio or in the location.

That's the whole point about creative photography: it is created, not automatic. Were this not so, anyone with the same camera and facilities could produce the same level of work. They obviously don't and can't.

Rob C
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Riccardo on June 10, 2013, 06:33:20 am

I'm afraid you missed the point there: the play on create/capture is real but not applicable. There is nothing automatic at all about model photography nor, for that matter, about still life.

That's the whole point about creative photography: it is created, not automatic. Were this not so, anyone with the same camera and facilities could produce the same level of work. They obviously don't and can't.

Rob C

Photography is always an automatic process, because the image, unlike painting, is always the result of pre-existing optical laws.
In the early days of photography no one (not even photographers) thought that it could produce images of artistic value, exactly because the process is intrinsecally automatic, regardless of whether we can build ad hoc scenarios.
Photography has imposed itself with the strenght of its own images, in spite of their automatic nature.
The charm of photography lies exactly in this balance: on the one hand it is an automatic process, on the other hand, as you rightly pointed out, not all, with the same equipment, are able to produce the same level of images, and this is also true for landscape photography, maybe the most "automatic" of photographic genres.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: David Eckels on June 10, 2013, 07:58:38 am
I'm convinced that the glance that made you raise your camera is where the truth lies. You can dork around in Photoshop all you want, but if you have a developed instinct the best result is going to show what made you raise the camera in the first place.
Now that I think about this more, of course you are right, as HCB shows. And your own work here, too. I admire him and AA and have so much to learn from your discussions. I also agree with Slobodan, this was beautifully put.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Rob C on June 10, 2013, 11:11:30 am
Photography is always an automatic process, because the image, unlike painting, is always the result of pre-existing optical laws.


Again, no: that simply means that it operates within optical (and chemical or electronic) laws and boundaries, not that it is automatic. A painter is enchained within the bounds of his pigment, as a pencil artist by his HBs. Everything is bound by something else, but that doth not automatic make it.

You might as well claim that Chopin was on automatic, too. And he didn't even have a Korg, heaven help him.

Rob C
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Riccardo on June 10, 2013, 05:38:40 pm
No, again. ;D
Wherever you build a "camera obscura", there you'll find an image.
In the front door of my house there is a small hole and upon the internal wall I can see the image of what is in front. No one has created that image, that image exists automatically and this is the basis of the photography and is basically true for every photograph. It 's a big difference compared to Chopin, who creates a non-existent music.
In some genres, photography is already practiced in an automatic form, for example in wildlife photography, when  some cameras and photocells are placed for snapping to the passage of the animal. The photographer tries to predict where it will form a good image.
With this I don't want to say that there is no creativity in photography (I'm a photographer, after all), but that the creativity of the photographer is of a different kind respect to the creativity of a painter or a musician. The creativity of a photographer is basically to predict where and when a good image could be grabbed.
The presumption of the photographers who perceive themselves as creators of images, and not finders, leads to the absurdity of the excesses in post-production, such as Alain Briot, who does not make scruple about deleting the loop of a river in a landscape because it doesn't match his vision: in my opinion such approach is depressing and ultimately weaken photography.
In another post you said to Cjogo: "you have a great eye" and this means: you are able to see what others are unable to see, even if it is under their eyes.
Seeing is the main creative side in photography and we can see only what already exists.
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: amolitor on June 11, 2013, 09:18:50 am
I disagree.

Henry Peach Robinson argues that while a photograph must be "True" it need not be "Factual". This is a quite old and conservative point of view, much photography since his time has been neither. In any case, he suggests that a picture should, essentially, be credible and believable. Whether it accurately represents a single configuration of objects present in front of the lens in a single instant (i.e. is Factual) or not, it should represent something the viewer can easily image was present. That is, it should be True. In the 150 years since then, we've seen a great deal of successful photography that's not even True in any sense HPR would recognize (cf Man Ray, etc).

A good part of Robinson's rationale is simply that emulsions of his era could not be Factual. You had to choose between Sky and Land, and so composites were used to get them both in the same frame.

To extend Robinson, it is in fact absurd to insist on Factual representations. When you imagine that you are taking a true and accurate representation of what was in front of the lens, you are kidding yourself. Your picture is, for starters, flat. It generally does not accurately render either the tones or the colors. In general, your picture can be and has been made a better picture, often a Truer picture but a less Factual one, by burning and dodging and other relatively mild manipulations (cf. Adams, etc).

To draw a line arbitrarily in the sand and say "these manipulations are ok, and these are not" is the absurdity.

Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 11, 2013, 10:17:22 am
I disagree with your disagreement  ;D
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: William Walker on June 11, 2013, 10:26:49 am
I agree with you disagreement of the disagreement...
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: amolitor on June 11, 2013, 10:30:46 am
I uh, dis uh, um. I like you! Also, I like peaches!
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Riccardo on June 11, 2013, 11:15:21 am
May sound strange, but I totally agree with Amolitor.
I don't want to draw a straight line in the sand.
Jerry Uelsmann and his cubic clouds, is ok: he's not  trying to cheat me.
A "straight photographer" can spend a lot of time in post-production to compensate the limits of the photographic medium, that is not able to evoke by itself, for example, the effect of brightness of a wall in full sun. Even here there is no cheating, but dedication to the medium.
A. B. claims to be a landscape photographer and deletes the loop of a river: is this immoral? no, it's pathetic.
W. E. Smith? He cheated, but he was aware and tried to keep it secret.
When I see clear and quiet skies transformed into highly dramatic skies, I do not make an ethical issue, but a depression issue. ;D
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Rob C on June 11, 2013, 12:38:03 pm
I just give up in the face of such erudite reasoning.

I shall enjoy a sandwich instead.

Rob C
Title: Re: Just a Road
Post by: Riccardo on June 11, 2013, 01:16:29 pm
I perceive a veiled hint of sarcasm...