Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on May 31, 2013, 03:35:34 pm

Title: Country Way
Post by: Harald L on May 31, 2013, 03:35:34 pm
I don't dare to post it in the Hasselfake-Thread because my camera hasn't a prism...

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8276/8905095200_a4a093e19c_c.jpg)

Link to scrutinize (http://www.flickr.com/photos/harlemhh/8905095200/in/set-72157633830611278)
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 31, 2013, 04:09:37 pm
Excellent!

I love how the opening at the end of the road looks just like another tree top (even if as in a b&w negative film) and echoes the tree to the far left in shape. Love the square and deep shadows too.
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: RSL on May 31, 2013, 04:18:55 pm
+1
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: Rob C on May 31, 2013, 05:39:20 pm
I don't dare to post it in the Hasselfake-Thread because my camera hasn't a prism...




Interesting photograph, might be even better in colour? But regarding the prism-less camera, don't worry about that; just as long as it's been Sanforized it should be okay for the rule book.

Rob C
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: Harald L on May 31, 2013, 06:11:07 pm
Interesting photograph, might be even better in colour?

Here you are. In my opinion b/w is more impressive.

(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2879/8905795303_7954ff5e88_c.jpg)


...But regarding the prism-less camera, don't worry about that; just as long as it's been Sanforized it should be okay for the rule book.

Of course it's "gekrumpft" like bavarian Loden and nary oblong ancestor has survived this relentless process of evolution.
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: Rob C on June 01, 2013, 04:13:27 am
Harlem22,


For me, your colour version definitely has much more going for it.

Apart from what seems (to me) a more convincing effect of distance, the colours are muted enough already to provide the natural simplicity that I imagine you've been reaching out to by converting to b/white.

I do find myself attracted to black and white, probably because I spent many years producing it, but sometimes colour can present a pretty powerful argument too.

It always comes down to opinion - I just expressed mine; both presentations work nicely.

Rob C
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: nemo295 on June 01, 2013, 01:19:58 pm
What Rob said. I especially like the blue-grey hues in the road and the splashes of gold in the trees.
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 01, 2013, 03:18:53 pm
It's a crackingly good shot either way, 22, but for me the colour version has an edge. There's just that bit more interest.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 01, 2013, 07:49:52 pm
What Rob said. I especially like the blue-grey hues in the road and the splashes of gold in the trees.

+1. Well-seen.
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: francois on June 03, 2013, 07:19:58 am
I also prefer the color version. The golden leaves win the show!
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: RSL on June 03, 2013, 07:38:05 am
+1
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: David Eckels on June 04, 2013, 09:14:51 am
I loved the B/W and then you had to "spoil" it by showing the color version ;) As Rob and others said, both work for me, different moods, each.
Title: Re: Country Way
Post by: wolfnowl on June 04, 2013, 03:17:31 pm
Harlem22,


For me, your colour version definitely has much more going for it.

Apart from what seems (to me) a more convincing effect of distance, the colours are muted enough already to provide the natural simplicity that I imagine you've been reaching out to by converting to b/white.

I do find myself attracted to black and white, probably because I spent many years producing it, but sometimes colour can present a pretty powerful argument too.

It always comes down to opinion - I just expressed mine; both presentations work nicely.

Rob C

Rob said it best!

Mike.