Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Mike Guilbault on November 10, 2012, 11:27:21 pm
-
I getting ready to purchase an iPad and trying to decide on whether to get just the Wifi version or the one with Cellular Data capability as well.
Any pros/cons?
-
Uh...do you intend to use the iPad where you don't have WiFi? If so, get the cellular data version, if not, don't bother. What is your use needs?
-
Well, first of all, I've never had an iPad so I'm not sure where I'll be using it. I'm involved with a few organizations where I need to make presentations, take notes and such. Sometimes, the meetings are held where there is no Wifi. I was thinking i could set up my iPhone with a Personal Hotspot - but that might be more trouble than just getting the cell/data version of the iPad to begin with. It may 'only' be $130 more... but if I dont' have to spend it...
Guess I'm looking to see if anyone that didn't get it, regrets it. Seems that most people I've talked to are only using it around Wifi so thought I'd check out a wider audience here.
-
I bought the original iPad with the cellular option and it proved to be useful when traveling a lot. However it was really just a luxury that I eventually got tired of paying for. Once I canceled the cell data plan I never missed having it.
AT&T is offering a $100 discount on an iPad if you commit to a 2 year data plan.
Don't forget that it can be pretty slow on cellular. You might want to try a comparison between the two connections.
-
Well, first of all, I've never had an iPad so I'm not sure where I'll be using it.
That's what you need to determine...where are ya gonna use it? If you get 3G it's gonna be slow. If you have WiFi, it'll be the speed of the WiFi. If you don't have WiFi, then it's gonna suck. What do you need/expect?
-
I bought one with both last month. I don't regret it. If you have the money, go for it. Even if you don't use 3G, you could slip in a 2G SIM for emergencies. You can have it default to wi-fi whenever available.
-
If you plan to leave home with iPad I think you have to have a valid reason not to get the Cellular one, IMHO.
Always got the 3G/4G/LTE version and never regretted the choice I made.
-
Watch out for the iPhone/hotspot idea does not work with all plans/carriers unless you pay, pay, pay.......
I the uk I got a pay as you go sim.... costs £10 a month up to 1 gb per month 3g.
If you do not use the 1gb that month it is gone. If you need more pay for more. thus minimum cost. I use wifi most of the time..
elo
-
If you plan to leave home with iPad I think you have to have a valid reason not to get the Cellular one, IMHO.
Always got the 3G/4G/LTE version and never regretted the choice I made.
I travel with mine and only have the WiFi version and have never regretted not getting the cellular option. With so many wifi hotspots around and more coming online everyday, you are never without a wifi access around the corner.
-
I travel with mine and only have the WiFi version and have never regretted not getting the cellular option. With so many wifi hotspots around and more coming online everyday, you are never without a wifi access around the corner.
If I need to connect just for myself then I can see using only the Wifi. However, I may often be in situations where I'm in a meeting and can't control the location.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to hold out for the cellular data model. I can always 'not' use it or pay for extra data plan, but if I don't have it, the only way is to buy a new iPad.
-
I have an iPhone and an iPad. The iPhone has broadband, a “personal hotspot,” and the service plan I pay for supports unlimited access to the internet. I’ve used the hotspot on my iPhone off and on for well over a year.
I just bought the iPad last week and it has wifi.
My plan was to use the iPad mostly for art show sales along with the Square system for CC processing. The iPad would use the Personal Hotspot on my iphone.
Last weekend, I was getting ready for my first show and updated the ios on both platforms to version 6. This was a Big Mistake. Evidently there is a problem with the personal hotspot, and while my iPad was able to find any number of wifi routers or “hotspots” in Apple parlance, it could not find the hotspot in my iPhone without having to do a bunch of time consuming tasks. This is with the iPhone being mere inches away from the iPad.
I did some reading on the web and at Apple’s support site, and according to many notes there is, *surprise* a problem that causes the Apple hotspot to not work properly with ios 6. There is no fix at this time other than to screw with the settings and hope that by doing so the problem will be resolved. Of course even when I was able to resolve the problem, as soon as the ipad went to sleep I had to repeat the dance. This was Very Frustrating and something that is intolerable during a show. In the end I was not able to use the ipad due to this.
I’m unimpressed enough to rate this a 5 star slap in the face by Apple.
I ended up installing using the Square system on my iPhone, and it worked fine. The iPad was rendered completely useless due to being phuched by Apple in this manner.
The lesson of this little rant is that if reliability is important to you, get cell service for your iPad.
-
Thanks Justan
-
I travel with mine and only have the WiFi version and have never regretted not getting the cellular option. With so many wifi hotspots around and more coming online everyday, you are never without a wifi access around the corner.
Hotspots? Do you have hotspots on mountains, countryside, seaside, roads or other less populated areas? I definitely don't spend my whole life within concrete boxes. :)
Does the OP?
-
I've got the non-cellular iPad. Seeing that I have a phone with unlimited data and tethering, it's not a big problem - just tether the 'pad to the phone. Easy way to save £100 (which was the price difference here in the UK when I purchased)
-
I've got the non-cellular iPad. Seeing that I have a phone with unlimited data and tethering, it's not a big problem - just tether the 'pad to the phone. Easy way to save £100 (which was the price difference here in the UK when I purchased)
The provider I have on my iPhone (H3G) has a smaller data coverage, it relies on the main italian provider (TIM) for phone calls. iPhone tethering may not work where H3G is out of coverage.
On my iPad I have data plan alone with the main provider.
Tethering will drain battery faster. An iPad may tether without any issue, an iPhone, while tethering, may last a lot less.
-
i just tether with my iPhone. it was a no brainer decision when i'm only paying £10 a month for my phone plan with unlimited internet.
the only reason to get a sim for the iPad is if you are a heavy user and likely to hit the fair usage limit on your phone.
-
There is a big reason to buy a 3G iPad.
It has GPS
the WIFI model has not... and they do not tell you
So If you like use it for maps - you can download offline maps ( apps) and use the GPS without having to be close to WIFI or a 3G network
-
The provider I have on my iPhone (H3G) has a smaller data coverage, it relies on the main italian provider (TIM) for phone calls. iPhone tethering may not work where H3G is out of coverage.
On my iPad I have data plan alone with the main provider.
Tethering will drain battery faster. An iPad may tether without any issue, an iPhone, while tethering, may last a lot less.
Great. So you have an example of where it was worthwhile getting a 3G iPad. I had an example of where it wasn't. Seeing that our usage scenarios are different, this does not make one of us right and the other wrong.
-
I bought the original iPad with 3G. Being able to use Google Maps or The Photographer's Ephemeris or other location-based apps pretty much anywhere with a large screen is pretty terrific. When I first bought the iPad I did not have an iPhone and kept the iPad 3G service most months. Now I use it only when traveling, and sign up for a month at a time ($25).
-
Great. So you have an example of where it was worthwhile getting a 3G iPad. I had an example of where it wasn't. Seeing that our usage scenarios are different, this does not make one of us right and the other wrong.
Huh? Did I say so?!? Stay calm… ::)
-
Another option would be to get a wifi dongle, this is what I use on my iPad. The advantage is I can use my laptop with it, and it is capable of allowing 5 devices to connect at one time.
Ray
-
There is a big reason to buy a 3G iPad.
It has GPS
the WIFI model has not... and they do not tell you
So If you like use it for maps - you can download offline maps ( apps) and use the GPS without having to be close to WIFI or a 3G network
My iPad 2 has it's own gps and can route directions from anywhere there is wifi. It does not have 3g or any cell service support. This is not to say that in earlier versions the ipad didn't have a gps.
-
Ipad with out 3g does not have GPS.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
It uses wi-fi location - which means that it recognises nearby wifi's and works the location out from that.
Ray
-
^Thanks for clarifying that!
Even given no GPS it appears to fake it very well and I’ve used it to provide maps on demand, plus directions with the use of the maps application that came with.
-
^Thanks for clarifying that!
Even given no GPS it appears to fake it very well and I’ve used it to provide maps on demand, plus directions with the use of the maps application that came with.
Try that in the countryside ;D
GPS via wifi is a nice touch where there's plenty of access points nearby. Without them it's absolutely useless.
Before upgrading to the iPhone 5 my iPad run gps4cam to trace my photo sessions. Amazing precision.
You have to have the Cellular version to do that.
-
Another option would be to get a wifi dongle, this is what I use on my iPad. The advantage is I can use my laptop with it, and it is capable of allowing 5 devices to connect at one time.
Ray
Ray!!!! What wifi dongle do you use? All dongles I have seen are USB? There are MIFI units that work like a hotspot?
cheers elo
-
Ray!!!! What wifi dongle do you use? All dongles I have seen are USB? There are MIFI units that work like a hotspot?
cheers elo
iPads won't accept any kind of directly attached USB dongles.
-
Try that in the countryside ;D
GPS via wifi is a nice touch where there's plenty of access points nearby. Without them it's absolutely useless.
Before upgrading to the iPhone 5 my iPad run gps4cam to trace my photo sessions. Amazing precision.
You have to have the Cellular version to do that.
I've only used the wifi on my iphone. Dunno if the ipad gets other info from the iphone...
-
I know the ipad can not use a USB dongle as we know it .... that is why I asked ray the question as he talked about his ipad dongle
cheers elo
-
I have just found on the uk Vodaphone site a Sharing Dock. you place your USB dongle into it and voila you have a wifi hub... quite neat...will look at that ...
cheers ...basically the same as miff.
-
Hotspots? Do you have hotspots on mountains, countryside, seaside, roads or other less populated areas? I definitely don't spend my whole life within concrete boxes. :)
Does the OP?
In fact I am a landscape photographer and yes I am always away from concrete boxes. Now when I am shooting at the seaside, I don't need my iPad, but when I get back to my accommodations, there is always wifi.
-
My concern... whichever telecom you sign up with. will never have service in the area you go to...... I the uk they like to say 97% coverage....? but in the north of england and southern scotland none of them seem to work half the time... so 97 % means (I think) coverage of population rather than area..... ie go on holiday at the lake, river seaside etc...... no coverage anyway...
cheers elo
ps... with the mini ipad I will buy a cellular.
-
The map/GPS advantage would be worthwhile for me - and I live in an area with very few hotspots (rural Ontario) and even the cellular service is at times lacking. I think that would put a burden on tethering to my iPhone. Pretty much decided to wait for the 3G version.
Thanks for all your input... and keep the conversation going if there's more!
-
Elmvale? Been there. Lived a little further south. Try the Uk. Cumbria and Galloway coast. Telecoms like to say they cover 97%. They forget to say that means 97 % of population. Not area. I will still get cellular next time. Cheers elo
-
GPS via wifi is a nice touch where there's plenty of access points nearby. Without them it's absolutely useless.
This is true if you depend on the Internet for your maps. There are applications (Co-Pilot among them) with which you download maps for use anywhere there's no Internet. A street-level-accuracy map of all of Western Europe, for example, is about E50, if I recall correctly.
-
This is true if you depend on the Internet for your maps. There are applications (Co-Pilot among them) with which you download maps for use anywhere there's no Internet. A street-level-accuracy map of all of Western Europe, for example, is about E50, if I recall correctly.
Yes there are apps to use maps offline, burt in the field without WIFI nearby you can only locate your position if you have GPS.
And GPS is only included in the cellular (3G) iPad-( you do not have to have any contract for that)
-
This is true if you depend on the Internet for your maps. There are applications (Co-Pilot among them) with which you download maps for use anywhere there's no Internet. A street-level-accuracy map of all of Western Europe, for example, is about E50, if I recall correctly.
kers said right. I -work- with iOS devices -every day-, I know how navigator/turn-by-turn/hiking apps work, but they ALL NEED GPS. Wi-fi-only iPad doesn't have it. End of story.
-
Just activated my cellular mini the other day. Its a really nice piece, and I'm liking the size. We have 3's as well both wifi.
I got this one for use on location, to run capture one, hold portfolio photos and for web access when I don't have wifi and I need more screen than the iphone 5 provides. I only have 1gb of data for the mini so I'll use it sparingly.
I was not sure about the size but I really like it, its very comfortable in the hand and its quite easy to read. It fits easily into my Lightwares camera case or my wife's purse ( a good option since we work together).
-
Sorry about the delay in the reply.
Sorry, when I said dongle, I was referring to the MiFi. Yes the coverage in the UK is 97% of the population and there are places that I cannot use it.
I had the usB dongle and upgraded to a MiFi before I got the iPad.
If you want GPS on it, it is possible to get bluetooth GPS to connect, but you need to check that the one you want will connect to the iPad (or you can jailbreak it and use BTstack and use almost any blutooth GPS).