Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: RFPhotography on September 25, 2012, 08:52:13 am
-
I know of a couple on the market. Dell has a couple models that are available with an IPS panel and HP has one or two as well that can be configured with an IPS panel.
Anyone know of any other laptops that can come with an IPS panel?
Thanks.
-
The Lenovo ThinkPad X230 and MacBook Pro Retina also have IPS (Although It looks like the MBP retina has a display burn-in issue.)
-
Thanks. Anything Mac is a non-starter. I'm ABA (Anything But Apple). Wasn't aware of the Lenovo. I know they had the X220 but there were varying reports of whether it had an IPS panel or not. The 12.5" screen size is pretty small though. Would have to be able to sit down with one and have PS open to know whether there's sufficient screen real estate.
I think the Asus Zenbook has an IPS panel as well but wasn't considering it, again, because of screen size. May have to put it in the mix as well then.
-
The reference for ThinkPad specifications is the tabook PDF (http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tabook.pdf). It looks like the X220 and X230 both have IPS displays. None of the other current models do--what a shame.
-
Thanks. Anything Mac is a non-starter. I'm ABA (Anything But Apple).
Why?
If it's because you don't like MacOS, you can always just run Windows on a MacBook Pro.
If it's ideological, on the other hand, you're beyond help.
Jeremy
-
Agreed. If some of the other Lenovo models were available with IPS panels that would be terrific.
My other concern with a netbook like these Lenovos or the Zenbook is the quality of the graphics processor and how much adjustability is available. Often these integrated cards are fairly feature-stripped which makes calibrating the display difficult.
-
Why?
If it's ideological, on the other hand, you're beyond help.
Jeremy
Then I'm beyond help. ;D It's entirely ideology. I don't like Apple as a company and never have. Even though the megalomaniacal paranoid who ran the company is gone I still have zero interest in Apple products. I think the products are vastly overpriced for what you get and don't think the quality is all that great. I also don't like what Apple have done in the area of colour management and printing in terms of locking out some functionality that's needed for creating profiles and for using a profile in conjunction with Epson ABW.
-
While the Lenovo W520 isn't listed as having an IPS display, it must be something not entirely awful as you can get an X-rite Huey colorimeter built-in. I actually have a W520 from my employer (running Linux admittedly).
-
Didn't know they were still making that one with the built-in colorimeter. It's got a TN panel like the majority of other laptops out there. The built-in calibrator isn't going to help a lot with that. You have to be so precise with the open angle of the top when viewing for it to be of any use at all. It's got, I believe, a B+RGLED backlight which is how it gets the wider colour gamut and the viewing angles are better than a standard screen but it's still sub-optimal.