Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: One Frame at a Time on August 04, 2012, 11:18:40 am

Title: Question about setting up my new 3880:
Post by: One Frame at a Time on August 04, 2012, 11:18:40 am
I've read several times in the forum that many are printing only with PK ink, or have two printers; one for PK and the other for MK.  Before I install the ink carts I was wondering if its possible to only install one (or the other) ink types and not be bothered by the problems making a paper selection error triggers.  

If its not possible to run only with the PK ink, do any of you have a good system worked out to make this error less likely?  Seems like a topic of much frustration among other users of the 2 black ink machines.  Thanks!
Title: Re: Question about setting up my new 3880:
Post by: digitaldog on August 04, 2012, 11:23:13 am
I don’t believe so, you’ll have to install both cart’s.
Title: Re: Question about setting up my new 3880:
Post by: AFairley on August 04, 2012, 11:52:30 am
One way to prevent switchovers caused by paper mis-selection is to save your diver setting ( which as well as paper type can include size, quality, speed, platen gap, ink lay down, etc adjustments) as a preset.  So, for example, when I go to print, I select my "EEF 17x22" preset and eberything is set the way I like to print on that paper.  The only thing I have to worry about is choosing the right paper profile in Photoshop.
Title: Re: Question about setting up my new 3880:
Post by: howardm on August 04, 2012, 12:13:52 pm
Agreed re: making a printer preset.  I've never actually made that mistake in all the years I
have owned a 3800.

I also made some custom labels to put on each paper box indicating the suggested/required 'settings'
for the paper in question.
Title: Re: Question about setting up my new 3880:
Post by: digitaldog on August 04, 2012, 12:30:15 pm
FWIW these presets cannot be used in Lightroom but saved templates should solve the issue.