Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: marcmccalmont on August 03, 2012, 12:54:52 am
-
It's been almost 3 years since I've done a lot of printing so now it's time to get back to it,
I'm sure a lot has changed and was wondering what your favorite papers are? Color? B&W?
Thanks
Marc
-
For my 9880 which runs only the MK ink set I like Elegance Velvet as my cotton rag and Lyve canvas both Breathing Color products, I wrap both after laminating. My proofing paper is Epson Enhanced Matt. For my 7900 I still love the Ilford Galerie Gold or what ever it is currently packaged as, otherwise most clients request the Lustre OEM Epson papers. I also have had a lot of success with the Synthetic Adhesive Paper on the 7900.
Mark Prins
Inanda Images
Yukon Territory
-
Im a noob just getting started and I have an epson 3800. I am really liking the Red River polar metallic. I always seem to get good results with it. Color is good but I have really enjoyed making b/w prints on the metallic. I have had trouble with epson luster and RR luster, I just can't get them to come out right. Like I said, I'm a noob.
Adam
-
My printer is an Epson 3800 with K3 inks. I tested about 80 different papers and have reached a strong opinion about what my favorite papers are. Please keep in mind different printers and different ICC profiles will give you different results, so take my suggestions with that in mind. I also hate warm paper (looks aged from years of attic storage; besides I can tint myself), so my picks reflect this bias.
Favorites:
1. For best results (and the most expensive), I use Epson Exhibition Fiber paper combined with a high gloss varnish spray. The varnish gives it that "lip gloss" look that I love. Baryta papers are hard to spray because their surface is so smooth. EEF has a lovely subtle texture that barytas lack. I get better results with my custom ICC profile using the ColorMunki than I do with the Pixel Genius profile.
2. For second best results (and best value), I use Ilford Smooth Pearl. I don't varnish this paper. I was shocked how accurate the manufacturer's icc profile worked with Ilford papers.
3. For practice printing I use the Ilford Luster Duo. You can print on both sides. Saves money.
4. I don't print with matt black ink, but my favorite MK paper is Epson Hot Press Bright.
The baryta papers look good too (e.g., Harman Gloss Baryta and Ilford Gold Fiber Silk) but they have no texture. No texture looks cheap to me (don't know why). Plus they scratch like the dickens. But technically baryta papers will give you perhaps the best image quality (color gamut, dynamic range, etc).
My favorite metallic paper is from RedRiver, which came as a surprise really because I didn't care for their other papers compared to my top choices that is.
-
For RC papers, I have pretty much settled on: I use these interchangeably for B&W and Color
Luster: Lexjet esatin, 310w or Moab lasal Exhibition Luster 300w
Glossy: Moab lasal 270w (this is because any other glossy paper that is run through my 9900 will show distinct pressure ridges) I would use the Lexjet glossy but it scratches too easily IMO
Fiber based:
Luster: Canson Platine, Canson Baryta Breathing Color's Vibrance Rag (I am starting to use more Breathing Color Vibrance Rag in this space since it's a much more hardier paper, less scratches)
Glossy: Epson Exhibition Fiber, However I don't find it to be a true glossy surface I have yet to find a true gloss paper in a fiber base, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Matte: Breathing Color Optica 1
Epson Hot Press Bright & Natural
Epson ultrasmooth Fine Art ( has a bit less pure white and no OBA's)
Matte textured: Breathing Color 600M or Canson Arches (when I find it on sale)
You didn't mention Canvas, but I am listing them also
Glossy: 100% Breathing color Crystalline
Matte: 100% Breathing color Lyve (of which 100% is coated with Timeless for a glossy finish)
Paul
-
Has anyone compared the following metallic papers on an Epson printer?
Breathing Color metallic
Red River metallic
-
The Breathing Color Metallic is very good. A bit thin and thus shows the same pressure marks I get
with pretty much all glossy paper on the 9900. When dry mounted, most of the marks will go away.
Profiles very well, or the stock BC profile is a also very nice.
I have not tried the Red River.
Paul
-
The only paper I use to make prints for my gallery and all client sales is Moab Entrada Rag Bright 190. It's also what I use in every one of my portfolios. It's a matte paper with a bit of texture and a bright white color. It works great for color and black and white. I've experimented with Moab La Sal paper but it's a little too warm for my liking. Both are double sided, which is nice since I'm not a fan of having to identify the correct side on which to print. Maybe I'm just lazy, though. ;D
-
I'm still printing on old stock of Harman Gloss FB AI Warmtone using my own profile generated with the Munki. Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta is my secondary glossy media. For matte I prefer Hahnemuhle's Museum Etching (makes great greeting cards) or Epson's Fine Art Velvet. I have not as yet tried any of the metallic papers.