Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: billy on June 21, 2012, 03:24:26 pm

Title: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: billy on June 21, 2012, 03:24:26 pm
With the new Canon 1Dx hitting stores I am wondering what the benefits of the 1Dx are over the 5D Mk3? I was going to sell my 1Ds Mk3 to buy another 5D Mk3 ( I have one now ) but dont want to miss out on anything that is useful for my work. My key questions regard:

-video IQ
-dynamic range
-file IQ
-low light noise

I know some people have received their 1Dx's but I do realize it is early on ..... just trying to see what new info is out there.
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: Ellis Vener on June 21, 2012, 05:02:54 pm
Do you shoot sports?
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: billy on June 21, 2012, 05:46:31 pm
Do you shoot sports?

Sorry, I should have added info like that. I shoot lifestyle, so FPS matters but to tell you the truth the 5D Mk3 is fine for FPS of my needs.
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: Josh-H on June 21, 2012, 07:14:16 pm
Do you shoot sports?

Or Wildlife, weddings, photojournalism.. or dare I say... even landscape....
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: billy on June 22, 2012, 04:46:22 pm
bump

is anyone out there?
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: madmanchan on June 24, 2012, 10:43:43 am
Well from the description the main differences seem to be the framerate and the built-in grip (yes on 1DX, no on 5D3).  There are many other differences but they are smaller.  There are some types of shooting for which these two things matter a lot.  If they don't matter that much to you, then I suspect the 5D3 is the better fit for you ...
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: KevinA on June 25, 2012, 05:28:59 am
I bet the noise improvement will be a step or two forward over the 5III and hopefully the DR as well. The video too could also be better.

Kevin.
A look at the 2012 Olympic site http://youtu.be/TwewnWMDucw
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: billy on July 27, 2012, 12:45:39 am
I wanted to re-visit this thread since the camera has been out for bit now. any comparisons out there? anyone using both cameras?
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: JohnBrew on July 27, 2012, 07:35:48 am
Lloyd Chambers has a comparison of these two cameras. Some info on his free blog, but for details you must enter pay site. www.diglloyd.com
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: billy on July 30, 2012, 07:32:16 pm
anyone else out there with these 2 cameras? I am mainly interested in image IQ.
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: ronjh on July 30, 2012, 09:14:39 pm
I have both: you can't wrong with either one just depends what you want to do.
See this thread too on the very same question: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=42151015
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: billy on August 01, 2012, 02:49:01 pm
thanks guys. my gut tells me to stick with 5d3, the IQ difference seems minimal based on what info i have gathered. i will just buy a grip for it and pretend its a 1D series, which is what I am used to.
Title: Re: 5D Mk3 vs 1DX
Post by: Marlyn on August 02, 2012, 12:41:33 pm
Frame Rate (12 vs 6) Buffer size, Significantly (apparently, I haven't dropped it in water to find out !) better weather sealing, better batteries are the big obvious differences.
IQ is good on both, I feel the 1dx has the edge with the larger pixels, but there is very little in in it.

Note: I've only done cursory tests at this point,  next couple weeks in Iceland will be the telling factor.

Regards

Mark