Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Tony Jay on June 05, 2012, 08:46:05 am
-
Has anyone had a go at using the new defringe controls?
Regards
Tony Jay
-
Yes...
-
Has anyone had a go at using the new defringe controls?
Hi Tony,
Yes, me too.
It's nice to have more control over which color is desaturated how much on egdes and lines (assuming the fringe colors are the same thoughout the image). FWIW, a useful addition in my view.
Cheers,
Bart
-
Yes...
Had your oats this morning, 'eh Jeff?
I just spit coffee on my keyboard, laughing. :-)
Tony... the alt key is your friend when using the sliders.
-
Had your oats this morning, 'eh Jeff?
Well, I just answered his question...
-
Yes, these controls are most welcome. I have a 20mm Voigtlander lens that i use with my Canon 5D2, it is a fine lens but it does exhibit a lot of fringing at the corners especially on fine detail over overly bright backgrounds. I used to correct some of it in PS, but the new control in LR 4.1 is simply amazing. As an aside, my 21mm Voigtlander lens for my Leica does not need any such corrections, and does not distort. So to the LR team, thank you for including these controls.
Jean-Michel
-
Tony... the alt key is your friend when using the sliders.
Is that for just resetting the control or is there another use for the alt key I'm not aware of?
-
Option/Alt allows you to preview both the amount of correction as well as the hue selection. Similar to the preview in the sharpening controls...try holding down the key and then adjusting the sliders.
-
Muchas Gracias Senior Schewe (since the tutorial was done in Mexico)
-
de nada...
BTW, we'll be taping an additional LR4.1 series of videos this week including an interview with a "special guest" and we'll be covering defringe. However, it won't be out until after Chris' summer get a way so it'll be sometime in Aug (I think).
-
Schewe, have you compared the speed/quality/consistency of this new tool to the same in Capture One? Historically (i.e. the last time I compared, before this latest revision) this is one of the areas where Capture One had (IMO) a big advantage (purple fringing, chromatic aberration) over LightRoom.
-
I've not done a head to head but what's now in Lightroom is extremely advanced and capable of doing far more than any tool I've seen (including C1). It's the brainchild of Eric and Thomas and I would say it moves the goal posts...
-
Jeff, it is true that my question was a very open one.
I am glad that your answer had such entertainment value.
Nonetheless, thanks for expanding on your original answer.
These controls do appear to be a winner.
Regards
Tony Jay
-
Jeff, it is true that my question was a very open one.
I am glad that your answer had such entertainment value.
Ya gotta learn how to ask the question you want answered...
If you want to learn more about using it, see this article on the Lightroom Journal: New Color Fringe Correction Controls (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html)
-
Jeff, I have actually read the article - it is what prompted the question in the first place.
I did post the question late at night (for me - I live in Australia) and probably didn't fully translate my thought into the typed post.
Regards
Tony Jay