Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: PeterAit on May 07, 2012, 12:28:09 pm

Title: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: PeterAit on May 07, 2012, 12:28:09 pm
All of a sudden the black slider in the develop module is acting backwards - slide to the right (higher values) and the image gets lighter, slide to the left and it gets darker. Please tell me I am not going nuts!
Title: Re: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: john beardsworth on May 07, 2012, 12:34:17 pm
Not slipped back to PV 2010, have you?
Title: Re: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: PeterAit on May 07, 2012, 12:43:49 pm
Huh?
Title: Re: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: Wayne Fox on May 07, 2012, 12:55:05 pm
That's backwards? Moving the slider to the right has always made the image "lighter" as it moves the blacks up in the histogram.  I've never seen the image get lighter by moving the black slider to the left.

Title: Re: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: john beardsworth on May 07, 2012, 01:33:13 pm
Huh?
If you've selected an older preset, which set PV2010 (Camera Calibration panel) Blacks would behave differently and dragging to the right would darken the picture. Dragging to the left would lighten it.
Title: Re: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: digitaldog on May 07, 2012, 02:15:48 pm
That's backwards? Moving the slider to the right has always made the image "lighter" as it moves the blacks up in the histogram.  I've never seen the image get lighter by moving the black slider to the left.

As John has pointed out, it depends on the Process Version. PV2012 ‘reverses’ the behavior from PV2010 and 2003. It is more consistent with what the other sliders do. So depending on what PV you have, sliding to the right will make the image darkens (PV 2003/2010) or lightens (PV2012).
Title: Re: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: PeterAit on May 07, 2012, 05:26:20 pm
Sounds like you have the same bug I do!
Title: Re: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: Schewe on May 07, 2012, 05:58:50 pm
Sounds like you have the same bug I do!

It's not a "bug"...it's a "feature". Process Version 2012 has a different set of controls than PV 2010 had. The PV 2012 controls all start in the zero position so adjusting the slider to the right will lighten the Blacks, to the left will darken.
Title: Re: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: Wayne Fox on May 07, 2012, 06:14:52 pm
lol, been so long since I've used the black slider in 2010, and honestly I don't think of that slider making the image darker or lighter, I'm usually just watching the black clipping with the option key down most of the time when I use it.
Title: Re: LR4 - black slider bug?
Post by: PeterAit on May 08, 2012, 09:07:51 am
It's not a "bug"...it's a "feature". Process Version 2012 has a different set of controls than PV 2010 had. The PV 2012 controls all start in the zero position so adjusting the slider to the right will lighten the Blacks, to the left will darken.

OK, now I get it. Easy enough to get used to, I suppose!