Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Kirk Gittings on April 24, 2012, 11:09:37 am
-
http://media.museumofnewmexico.org/events.php?action=detail&eventID=774 (http://media.museumofnewmexico.org/events.php?action=detail&eventID=774)
from the press release:
Santa Fe (April 20)—Join moderator Mary Anne Redding, curator of Contemplative Landscape, at 2 pm on Sunday, April 29, for a discussion among some of the photographers represented in the exhibition about their long-term commitments to photographing places both special and sacred in New Mexico.
Kirk Gittings, Ed Ranney, Janet Russek, Sharon Stewart, and Don Usner—will show and discuss their photographs. This event, part of the programming series for Illuminating the Word: The Saint John’s Bible and Contemplative Landscape is in the History Museum Auditorium. Attendance is free with admission; Sundays are free to NM residents.
Together, the artists’ works represent faith traditions ranging from ancient Native American practices to Hispanic Catholic rituals to roadside evangelicalism to modern-day Buddhists, each of which has found a home in places like the Galisteo Basin, Chimayo, Black Mesa, San Ildefonso, Cabezon and Abiquiu.
-
I wish I could be there. My one brief visit to Christ in the Desert a few years ago was sublime.
-
Yes it is, I've spent a lot of time there myself.
-
I love Santa Fe. I've done several workshops with Christopher James in Alternative Processes there. The light, atmosphere and color of New Mexico is purely devine.
-
My first visit to New Mexico was by motorcycle from Canada many years ago. They had me then at "Land of Enchantment". Many, many visits later, I'm still enchanted. Wonderful part of the world. Wish I could attend that discussion.