Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: pjtn on March 18, 2012, 11:34:16 pm
-
I'm looking at purchasing a Hasselblad H3DII-31 but want to know what the long exposure properties are like. After 32 seconds to 64 second exposures do a lot of hot pixels develop? Are the long exposures noisy?
If it's possible for anyone to take a test shot and send to me, even if it's just a dark frame with the lens cap on it would be very much appreciated.
-
The best for longer exposures are going to be things like the PhaseOne backs with sensor+ technology, and also the Pentax 645D seems to do nicely.
Some good information in this post: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=59917.0
-
The best for longer exposures are going to be things like the PhaseOne backs with sensor+ technology, and also the Pentax 645D seems to do nicely.
Expose+ is the long exposure acronym for Phase One backs.
Sensor+ is something completely different related to higher ISO/pixel binning technology.
-
I agree with what others are saying. I have the H3DII-31 and it's not meant for long exposures.... it excels at many things, long exposures and high ISO aren't some of them.
.02
-
The hardest part is finding a second hand Phase back within a decent price range. I would also much rather use a Hasselblad body and I figure that means purchasing a H2 which is older and won't communicate with the body as well.
-
I agree with what others are saying. I have the H3DII-31 and it's not meant for long exposures.... it excels at many things, long exposures and high ISO aren't some of them.
.02
That's very odd indeed. Long exposures and high ISO are precisely the two things that this microlensed Kodak sensor should be good at (and is good at in the P30+). And Imacon had a good reputation for taming long exposure noise in the earlier, noisier 9 micron generation of Kodak sensors. Where did Imacon/Hasselblad go wrong with this back?
Ray
-
The seller was kind enough to do a 64 second dark for me to see the results and I'm not sure what to think. The bottom left and right corners appear to be turning red from heat and there are hundreds of hot pixels.
I've found a Phase One P30+ second hand but it is very expensive.
The only other option I can think of is purchasing a Nikon D800e. The resolution is high enough to produce large prints but what I really love about medium format is the beautiful tonal range.
I've considered the Pentax 645D but now that the D800e is here I can't see much reason to purchase it.
I absolutely love the Hasselblad's and that is what I want, pity they don't seem to do the long exposures so well.
-
I've considered the Pentax 645D but now that the D800e is here I can't see much reason to purchase it.
Much larger sensor for one!
-
Pjtn,
I had the opportunity to buy a similar H3Dll-31 back last week in mint condition,low mileage
and very inexpensive.
Unfortunately,tests showed that hundreds of hot pixels started appearing around the 15-20 second
mark making the back an impractical choice for my needs.
We should have a better idea by this weekend how the D800/D800e performs as it seems they will be shipping shortly.
Mark
-
I absolutely love the Hasselblad's and that is what I want, pity they don't seem to do the long exposures so well.
Have you looked at the H4D-40? Same latest-generation sensor as the Pentax 645D (but again, as with the H3DII-31, it all depends on how well Hasselblad implemented it...)
Hasselblad do permit the H4D-40 to shoot 4x longer (240 sec), which is encouraging.
Ray