Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: cottagehunter on February 15, 2012, 02:13:12 pm
-
I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to preparing prints for an exhibition. My question re matting is how do you attach print to the matte and do you mount the matted print on foamboard or leave it unmounted?
Pierre
-
There's tons of stuff on the web regarding presentation mounting.
The basics are that you need to decide a method that works for you.
For me, I will either dry mount the print to archival matt, foam board, sintra, etc. and then use an overmatt (window matt), simply drymount the print to rag, do a museum mounting using a foamboard, rag board, etc. with corners or linen hinges, or simply print the image with a simulated overmatt and put in a frame. My choice is dictated by the client's needs, gallery requirements or the market for the work.
The choice is yours.
Are there other photographers in your area that exhibit or do if you live near a local framing shop or gallery, why not take a trip down to see how the work is done?
A place I go for ready-to-mount supplies is called framedestinations.com in Texas. I use them for my mounting and framing needs when I have the time to order in advance. Otherwise for custom, I simply go downtown to my local framing shop.
-
YouTube, all kinds of videos.
-
Larry mentioned Frame Destinations and they have a good review of techniques HERE (http://www.framedestination.com/picture_frame_mounting.html). I find that up through 13x19 photo corners work just fine with an overmat. I use foamboard for mounting and archival 4 ply matboard as the overmat. The recent Camera to Print and Screen tutorial has a nice presentation by Michael on this topic as well.
-
Never attach the art to the back of the mat!!!
The art can be damaged if someone lifts the mat not knowing the image is attached. Plus, if the mat is damaged, it can be replaced without having to reset the art as it is still in the same place and all you have to do is replace the mat and you're done.
The only time i do it is for those tiny 4x6 snap shots people bring in and want me to put them into a ready made frame. Quick and cheap.
For the good stuff... like yours... T-hinging or corner pockets onto the backer board is the way to go. Dry mounting works if you want it to always lay flat. I personally prefer mine to lay flat.
Do not ever tape anything all the way around the edge of the print or all the way across the top. Both restrict the papers ability to expand and contract causing it to
ripple towards the center.
-
Thanks guys for the information. I will do my reading
-
In LuLa's latest tutorial, there is a through explaination of how to mat prints. In Screen to Print, which runs many hours, there is a lot of good info. It costs, but if you are a beginner you could do a lot worse. Also, to figure out mat sizes there is a free program--google Mat Works! Software to see it. Hope this helps.
I