Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: wofsy on February 05, 2012, 11:48:49 am
-
When shooting in low light what is the best way to get autofocus to lock in. I have found that many of my shots - even with a tripod are a little soft.
One technique I saw on the Strobist was to shine a small flashlight at the subject to help the lens then once the autofocus is locked, turn the light away then shoot.
For me this has problems since I am often shooting people in meditation or doing yoga.
Does the preflash in a Speedlite help?
-
What do you shoot with?
Cheers,
Bernard
-
A couple of things:
1. The pre-flash doesn't help, however a Speedlight can project a red target on the subject, giving the camera's AF system something to "see."
2. Set the AF system to "One Shot" or "Single" rather than Continuous or "A.I." Not only does this activate the AF target from your speedlight, but it's more accurate in dark conditions.
3. If your camera has a "live view" option, you could use that setting, zoom in on the LCD screen, and manually focus on the subject. Then turn off live view and shoot.
All of this presumes that your subject is not moving.
-
A couple of things:
1. The pre-flash doesn't help, however a Speedlight can project a red target on the subject, giving the camera's AF system something to "see."
2. Set the AF system to "One Shot" or "Single" rather than Continuous or "A.I." Not only does this activate the AF target from your speedlight, but it's more accurate in dark conditions.
3. If your camera has a "live view" option, you could use that setting, zoom in on the LCD screen, and manually focus on the subject. Then turn off live view and shoot.
All of this presumes that your subject is not moving.
May be a laser pointer that can communicate to the camera+lens will be great.
-
I think you should describe the equipment and settings you use.
Ciao, Walter