Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: kaelaria on January 22, 2012, 01:05:14 pm

Title: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: kaelaria on January 22, 2012, 01:05:14 pm
Does anyone have experience with or reviews for metallic roll media for a Z3100 or similar?  I would really love to do some big 2x5, 2x6 prints!
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: neile on January 22, 2012, 02:04:32 pm
All the metallic paper on the market is made by the same company. Shop by price and enjoy :) I don't expect the paper will behave that much differently on the HP than it does on the equivalent Canon or Epson printers.

My reviews of the paper:

http://www.danecreek.com/blog/2010/06/16/metallic-inkjet-paper-review-three-contenders-to-replace-kodak-endura-metallic.html
http://www.danecreek.com/blog/2010/07/9/metallic-inkjet-paper-review-part-2-proofline-photo-chrome-a.html

Neil
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: dgberg on January 22, 2012, 02:45:51 pm
2x5,2x6 ? Feet?
We use Lexjet Metallic and Photochrome Metallic.
I do not know if they are the same papers but the quality of both is supurb.
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: kaelaria on January 22, 2012, 05:22:50 pm
Yes, feet, I like my large prints :)

Thanks guys - time to shop!
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: deanwork on January 22, 2012, 11:45:34 pm
Yes, I've used the Photochrome on the Z and it was excellent, especially with black and white neutral prints that really looked metallic.

No gloss differential or bronzing either, very smooth and clean. But damn now that is so trendy it's gotten to be twice the price it was.

j
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: neile on January 22, 2012, 11:52:14 pm
If you are planning on buying the Photochrome from Shades of Paper make sure you call them directly to order and ask about pricing. You can often get a better price than what's listed on the website that way.

Neil
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: kaelaria on January 23, 2012, 12:07:22 am
Oh man really?  I noticed the prices were 2-3x the price of other materials...now I wish I had picked some up years ago lol!
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: Randy Carone on January 23, 2012, 12:10:11 pm
I not sure what you mean about the price going up. We have offered this paper (Photo Chrome) at the same price since it was introduced.
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: Justan on January 23, 2012, 01:42:00 pm
I haven't worked with this kind of paper. Any examples of finished work to be found on the web?

Is it at all similar to something such as Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl?

Thanks
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: dgberg on January 23, 2012, 02:04:05 pm
I haven't worked with this kind of paper. Any examples of finished work to be found on the web?

Is it at all similar to something such as Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl?

Thanks


Go to YouTube and type in Metallic print preview.
The gal flicks through a pack of metallic prints and you can get somewhat of an idea what they look like.
Could not get the video to load here.
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: Justan on January 24, 2012, 11:40:05 am
Thanks! There are also a few other vids on the topic there.
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: Johnny_Boy on January 24, 2012, 04:20:25 pm
I find the metallic papers on inkjet useless. Basically the ink covers up the metallic finish, so you really don't get much metallic glow. Order a C-type print on Kodak Endura Metallic, if you want that look. It looks much better as the dyes are below the metallic finish.
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: deanwork on January 24, 2012, 05:58:24 pm
I don't know what you are saying Randy. I bought a roll of it when it first came out at a fraction of the cost of what it is now.

Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: mshowe on January 24, 2012, 07:03:28 pm
Regards Dean Work! Can you please tell me which media in the z driver you used for the paper preset for the photochrome? i am printing on the z3200 Thanks in advance!
Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: deanwork on January 25, 2012, 02:59:32 pm
Yes, I profiled it using the Pro Satin media setting and that worked fine.

I'm not sure about color icc profiling because I wasn't doing it, I used it for bw,but didn't have any trouble with ink limits or anything.

You know Mitsubishi used to sell this media first, and I'm pretty sure they were the ones who developed it in the first place. But now it is no longer on their website at all.

john

Title: Re: Metallic Rolls for Z3100
Post by: neile on January 26, 2012, 01:27:36 am
You know Mitsubishi used to sell this media first, and I'm pretty sure they were the ones who developed it in the first place. But now it is no longer on their website at all.

All the stuff on the market is made by Mitsubishi. Companies get it and put their own brand name on it then sell. Despite what some may try and say about how it's different paper or special somehow, it isn't. All from Mitsubishi.

Neil