Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: pikeys on September 17, 2011, 12:09:29 pm

Title: Nec pa231w..spectra view software.???
Post by: pikeys on September 17, 2011, 12:09:29 pm
Got delivery yesterday,and downloaded multiprofiler,and spectraview.

  I spoke to tech support at nec,and he recommended , that I use the "full" setting in multiprofiler.,which I did,and had to manually lower the brightness level

 I then tried to calibrate,in this setting it did not allow me to change the brightness level.

I then changed the setting to" srgb",and manually entered 120 for my brightness,then  re-calibrated..the result was a brightness level of 41%.,which looks good,and prints match my monitor,almost 95%.

Can someone please tell me,what the best starting point is ,before I calibrate in spectaview,for photo editing..Ful....,sRGB..adobe rgb.....high bright..etc.???

I tried to call nec tech support today,but they are closed.

I'm new to this spectraview software..so,

Any help would be  appreciated,
Thanks,
Mike



Title: Re: Nec pa231w..spectra view software.???
Post by: gromit on September 17, 2011, 06:49:28 pm
Got delivery yesterday,and downloaded multiprofiler,and spectraview.

  I spoke to tech support at nec,and he recommended , that I use the "full" setting in multiprofiler.,which I did,and had to manually lower the brightness level

 I then tried to calibrate ...

MultiProfiler and SpectraView II are alternatives. If you've calibrated (and generated a profile) with MultiProfiler, you're done.
Title: Re: Nec pa231w..spectra view software.???
Post by: pikeys on September 18, 2011, 10:57:41 am
Gromit,

Thanks for your reply.
I was trying to find out,what is the optimum starting point ,before I calibrate.,or is there one?

With SpectraView...

I ended up using:

White point=D65
Gamma=      2.2
Intensity=   120cd/m
Contrast ratio =monitor default
Color gamut =native  { full }

This is giving me almost an exact print match, to the monitor

Thanks,
Mike
Title: Re: Nec pa231w..spectra view software.???
Post by: Luca Ragogna on September 18, 2011, 01:23:25 pm
If your prints match then it seems that the settings you used are the appropriate ones.  :)
Title: Re: Nec pa231w..spectra view software.???
Post by: narikin on September 18, 2011, 06:24:47 pm
I use the same except a brightness of 140cd/m, seems like a good compromise.

Although really, it depends on your viewing conditions for the monitor - dark room, regular windows, or sunlight sometimes?  (and whether you wear a black shirt or white one!)
Title: Re: Nec pa231w..spectra view software.???
Post by: pikeys on September 18, 2011, 06:51:53 pm
  Room is a bit dark,but I'm not crashing into walls...........yet?
No sunlight,and the only light in the room is from a shaded lamp, opposite the monitor about 10ft.??
Shirt colors may vary depending on my mood,purple ,green,blue,or all of the above.

My 120 brightness setting seems tiny bit high { looks good though},but because I'm getting an almost perfect print to monitor match,I'm reluctant to change it.

Do you suggest I try a 140cd/m.

Are you on a windows PC ,or Mac?,.....does it matter??

I'm open to any/all suggestions/advise,..

Thanks,
Mike




Title: Re: Nec pa231w..spectra view software.???
Post by: gromit on September 18, 2011, 09:06:47 pm
I'm open to any/all suggestions/advise,..

I set my PA271W to 100 cd/m2 (min 0.4 cd/m2) ... but as others have pointed out whatever gives you a good match is the correct value.

You could try setting the gamma to L* instead of 2.2. This, in my experience, gives a more realistic portrayal of shadow values.
Title: Re: Nec pa231w..spectra view software.???
Post by: pikeys on September 19, 2011, 12:24:34 am
Gromit,

Thanks for your reply,

I took your advise,and re-calibrated using the L* setting in gamma..seems to giving me a bit more separation in the darker areas on some of my images...looks much better,especially on a few b&w images I'm working on.

Isn't a brightness level 100cd/m,a little low.
Do you get a good match ..monitor to print??

I will try the brightness level you use,and see what I  get.

Many thanks,
Mike


Title: Re: Nec pa231w..spectra view software.???
Post by: gromit on September 19, 2011, 01:38:19 am
Isn't a brightness level 100cd/m,a little low.
Do you get a good match ..monitor to print??

I have fairly low level natural lighting in my work environment, plus a hood for my PA271W. I've found that 100 cd/m2 gives me a good match for the prints I do for others for exhibition, mainly on rag. But what suits me isn't relevant. Don't be afraid to set whatever works for you. This is dead easy with MultiProfiler as you can change values on the fly.