Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: tq-g on September 08, 2011, 02:37:24 am

Title: Nikon D90 weather resistance?
Post by: tq-g on September 08, 2011, 02:37:24 am
Fall is coming here, and with it cold weather and rain. So, i'm thinking how sensitive my camera and lenses are under cold and wet conditions.

I currently have a D90 with a 50mm 1.8 AF-D and Tokina 100mm macro lense.

Do you have any thoughts and experiences on this?
Title: Re: Nikon D90 weather resistance?
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on September 08, 2011, 11:58:42 am
If the D90 is anything like the D70, I wouldn't worry much.  I used the D70 for several years, and it was occasionally out of the camera bag in drizzle for several minutes, or under a dripping umbrella in heavier rain, sometimes getting a little water on the outside, and it never had a problem.  I wouldn't leave it out unprotected in very heavy rain, however.  A little water on the outside doesn't seem to be a problem, but significant water driving into it can cause problems (as I found out with my later D300 when it spent awhile in a tropical downpour in a partially unzipped camera bag - afterward, I opened the battery compartment and significant water poured out of it - it got very flaky for a few days but was a good as new after it completely dried out...).

Lisa