Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: RFPhotography on August 30, 2011, 07:38:17 am

Title: Moving LR Catalogue & RAID
Post by: RFPhotography on August 30, 2011, 07:38:17 am
Currently my images sit on separate hard drives.  I'm looking at moving them to a 3 disk RAID 5 setup.  The LR catalogue is on a separate drive that won't be affected by the move of the actual image files.

Q:  Will LR work with a RAIDed drive setup?
Q:  If the answer to the first question is yes, then what's the simplest way to re-establish the catalogue after the switch?  If I open LR it will show all the images as not being found.  I'm guessing the simplest way might be just to right-click each folder and point it to the new location. 


Thanks.
Title: Re: Moving LR Catalogue & RAID
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 30, 2011, 12:31:45 pm
Currently my images sit on separate hard drives.  I'm looking at moving them to a 3 disk RAID 5 setup.  The LR catalogue is on a separate drive that won't be affected by the move of the actual image files.

Q:  Will LR work with a RAIDed drive setup?
Q:  If the answer to the first question is yes, then what's the simplest way to re-establish the catalogue after the switch?  If I open LR it will show all the images as not being found.  I'm guessing the simplest way might be just to right-click each folder and point it to the new location. 
I can't answer the first question definitively but I can't imagine why it wouldn't. As to the second, that's one solution (although you would only have to point LR at the new root folder, assuming you keep the same structure underneath); another would be to use LR to do the move for you, which is always a good idea when moving around files it cares about.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I suspect.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Moving LR Catalogue & RAID
Post by: RFPhotography on August 30, 2011, 02:44:41 pm
Yes, the root folder for each broad category/event/place, but not the subfolders for image type.

Anyone else on using LR with a RAIDed setup?
Title: Re: Moving LR Catalogue & RAID
Post by: digitaldog on August 30, 2011, 03:22:01 pm
Been running LR on a mirrored RAID for years. I don’t believe there should be any issues with RAID 5. To move, I prefer using a clone utility (being on the Mac, I use SuperDuper).
Title: Re: Moving LR Catalogue & RAID
Post by: RFPhotography on August 30, 2011, 04:02:17 pm
Thanks, Andrew
Title: Re: Moving LR Catalogue & RAID
Post by: - et - on August 30, 2011, 04:55:30 pm
Currently my images sit on separate hard drives.  I'm looking at moving them to a 3 disk RAID 5 setup.  The LR catalogue is on a separate drive that won't be affected by the move of the actual image files.

Q:  Will LR work with a RAIDed drive setup?

Q:  If the answer to the first question is yes, then what's the simplest way to re-establish the catalogue after the switch?  If I open LR it will show all the images as not being found.  I'm guessing the simplest way might be just to right-click each folder and point it to the new location. 

(1)  I have been using Lightroom for several years with the program and its catalog on a single drive, and the images and backup catalog on a RAID 5 system.   I have had no problems with Lightroom that I can attribute to this arrangement, and the RAID drive paid for itself when it saved me from the work of restoring from one of my external backup drives.

(2)  I have not had occasion to do this, so I cannot speak from first-hand knowledge.  However, from my experience in moving the location of files on my system, my approach would be to move the files with Lightroom itself.  It is a simple procedure and will automatically take care of making the appropriate changes to the Lightroom catalog.

Title: Re: Moving LR Catalogue & RAID
Post by: John MacLean on August 30, 2011, 09:38:25 pm
I've also been using mirrored RAIDs with LR and no issues at all. I've also installed 4 Mac systems with internal HDs for others and they have no issues either.

And I concur that moving the files in LR will keep all of your info intact and cause less grief later.
Title: Re: Moving LR Catalogue & RAID
Post by: RFPhotography on August 31, 2011, 01:15:28 pm
I realise moving files from within LR is the best option and it's the one I use currently.  If I go to the RAIDed setup; however, it would be in a new computer with new drives and the old drives would not be resident in the new, making the move from within LR option moot.