Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: helged on August 08, 2011, 03:27:28 pm
-
Hello folks,
I am looking for a new monitor for a calibrated photo workflow (Leica M9+Lightroom/PS+EPSON). From other posts it looks like the Eizo CG series and NEC PA-241W/PA-271W are alternatives. Any experiences with these or other monitors? I have a 6-yr old Eye One Spectrophotometer, but I am uncertain whether this device (and associated software) can be used with modern monitors. Insight on this is also appreciated.
Thanks,
Helge
-
Maybe you could find some interesting information here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=55949.0
Depending on your budget and needs I think that 2 interesting solution could be:
1) Eizo CG245W and Eizo GC 275W. Reason: self-calibrating; high quality, all-in-one package, works without any intervention from the user (3350$ - 250$ for the largest one; 2890 - 250 for the 24").
2) Nec 245/275. Reason: high quality, Discus hardware, price (for the 27” 1370$, 1550$ for the 27” bundle with Nec-branded colorimeter, 1200$ for the Discus).
-
the Eizo would have to be a WHOLE LOT of 'better' to justify an almost 3x price premium. From what I've heard/read, it isn't.
-
the Eizo would have to be a WHOLE LOT of 'better' to justify an almost 3x price premium. From what I've heard/read, it isn't.
Talking about quality, I don't think that the Eizo is better than the Nec. I had the occasion to see the 24” self-calibrating screen in action and the quality was very high, but nothing different from the Nec that I use (European market SpectraView 271 and 301).
Anyway there are many other CG Eizo monitor that are cheaper and maybe as good as the self-calibrating ones. For example the CG243W could be an interesting solution.
I was suggesting the self-calibrating monitors as an option because of their ability to work without the participation of the user. This could be a real plus for many people and maybe it is worth the extra $.
-
Being a die-hard NEC fan I have to admit, that the new ColorNavigator 6 is really nice, feature-rich and well thougth out.
I also cross-validated the CG275W calibrated with built-in EIZO Swing sensor with my basICColor DISCUS, and the result was suprisingly consistent, so at a first sight it appears that it achieves similar level of accuracy.