Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Josh-H on June 27, 2011, 08:56:47 am

Title: Dragon Eggs
Post by: Josh-H on June 27, 2011, 08:56:47 am
I should probably have put this in the 'Remarkable Rocks' thread  ;D But anyway.. I got back yesterday from ten days shooting in the South Island of New Zealand. I was much delayed with cancelled flights from the Chile Volcano ash cloud that has been playing havoc with our air travel down here.

Anyway.. one area I did want to visit and got to was the Moeraki boulders on the East Coast. I was fortunate that the volcanic ash in the air was reflecting the rising sun and helping to tame the dynamic range - it gave me some great light and enabled me to shoot into the sun.

Comments and thoughts welcome as always.
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: francois on June 27, 2011, 11:05:38 am
Texture is stunning and mysterious. How large are these rocks?
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: tom b on June 27, 2011, 05:00:26 pm
Josh, there are some shots of the same rocks here (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=33083.140) in Remarkable Rocks. The two times I've been there it has been midday with pretty harsh lighting and lots of people.

Cheers,
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: wolfnowl on June 27, 2011, 07:28:52 pm
Very nice work, Josh.  You're sure those aren't dragon 'crotesings'?

Mike.
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: michswiss on June 27, 2011, 11:08:54 pm
Texture is stunning and mysterious. How large are these rocks?

They are about the height of a 5 y/o girl.  ;D  I was there in January with my brother's family and the girls played on those rocks.  Lovely shot Josh.
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: francois on June 28, 2011, 02:22:49 am
They are about the height of a 5 y/o girl.  ;D  I was there in January with my brother's family and the girls played on those rocks.  Lovely shot Josh.
Thanks for the info.
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: Tim Gray on June 28, 2011, 12:06:59 pm
Almost as nice as your iconic Iceland mini-berg on the shore...  but no "big stopper" for this one?
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: popnfresh on June 28, 2011, 01:54:31 pm
Those are two of the coolest looking rocks I've seen in a while.
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: RSL on June 28, 2011, 02:01:08 pm
Good shooting, Josh. Every once in a while I see something that shakes my boredom with landscape. This is one of those times.
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: Josh-H on June 28, 2011, 09:13:58 pm
Thanks all. Its a great location and the Moeraki boulders make a great subject.

Tim, no big stopper this time!  ;D
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: PixelRake on June 28, 2011, 11:23:27 pm
Very cool shot, man.  It's all about being in the right place at the right time.
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: Rob C on June 29, 2011, 03:17:06 pm
Those are two of the coolest looking rocks I've seen in a while.




NO! Pop, I'm not taking the bait!

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: popnfresh on July 01, 2011, 12:47:57 pm



NO! Pop, I'm not taking the bait!

;-)

Rob C

I'm impressed.  ;D
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on July 02, 2011, 04:21:59 am
Lovely photo Josh!
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: Josh-H on July 03, 2011, 07:49:02 am
Thanks.

This is a different version taken the morning before. Not sure which I prefer...

Edit - I think I prefer this one for the added drama.
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: francois on July 03, 2011, 09:20:29 am
Thanks.

This is a different version taken the morning before. Not sure which I prefer...

Edit - I think I prefer this one for the added drama.
Actually, I also prefer the second one. There's very different. The first one is more relaxing, with warming colors in the sky and the waves seem quieter. The second has a much more dramatic sky - almost menacing - and the sea is more "agitated", more dynamic.
Title: Re: Dragon Eggs
Post by: EduPerez on July 04, 2011, 02:39:16 am
I prefer the second one, too; in fact, the first one did not tell me anything, but I find this one very interesting.