Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: FlyPenFly on June 14, 2011, 03:48:22 pm

Title: Tamron vs Tamron (70-300mm)
Post by: FlyPenFly on June 14, 2011, 03:48:22 pm
Currently evaluating whether to purchase the VC version or the non VC Di LD version.

I plan to use it on my Sony A850 which has body stabilization. I plan to use it stopped down to F5.6 or F8 and mostly for landscapes so I don't need the lens built in motor.

I've found these two direct comparisons:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1339/cat/23 (http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1339/cat/23)

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/455/cat/23 (http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/455/cat/23)

It seems the older version without VC has less CA and is sharper in some cases when stepped down 1 stop. This sort of makes sense to me because for the VC version they had to add additional elements, I can see how that can cause a problem with more aberrations and loss in sharpness despite newer coating technologies.

The older one is also less than half the price.

Am I missing anything here or not considering a factor?