Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Guilbault on April 29, 2011, 10:34:27 am

Title: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: Mike Guilbault on April 29, 2011, 10:34:27 am
Ok... got the Signature Worthy Sample Pack and want to try the difference papers. 

In LR, under Print Settings... Printer Settings... Media Type... I have Hot Press Natural selected.  But in the Print menu, under Color Management, there isn't a profile for any of these papers to select.  I went to the Epson site to download them, but they don't appear under the Epson 4900 profiles.  Can I use a profile for the 7900/9900?  Are they the same?
Title: Re: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: digitaldog on April 29, 2011, 11:39:27 am
So you selected Other...in the current profile popup and don’t see the profiles in the resulting list?

Not sure if you can use the 7900/9900 profiles or not. I know the two larger printers share the same profiles but for whatever reason, when we did the profiles for Epson, we built specific profiles for the 4800.
Title: Re: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: Sven W on April 29, 2011, 11:44:54 am
The HPN profile probably installes with the driver.
The profiles have weird names like: "SP7900 9900 HPNWFAP MK 1440 v1.icc", but shows up in applications with a more
understandable name.
Check under Home>Library>ColorSync>Profiles and you'll find it there.

/Sven
Title: Re: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: Mike Guilbault on April 29, 2011, 11:45:41 am
Right Andrew.. when I select 'Other', they are not listed there.  When I did a search on the Epson site for the profiles for the 4900, all I got was Exhibition Canvas, Matte, Satin and Gloss... not even Exhibition Fibre!  In 'Other', I did find Velvet Fine Art, so was able to use that one... but the Hot/Cold Presses and Exhibition Fibre are not there.
Title: Re: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: Mike Guilbault on April 29, 2011, 11:51:47 am
Hey Sven... you're right... I did find those!  Geesh.. they name the rest of them with readable words, why would they labels these so cryptically?  I found a CPB, CPN, HPB, HPN and EFP which I assume are Cold Press Bright, Natural, Hot Press Bright and Natural and Exhibition Fibre.

Thanks for the tip!
Title: Re: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: Sven W on April 29, 2011, 12:17:37 pm
You're welcome.
The cryptical names lies in the profile's different tag's, ASCII, UniCode and Mac-names.
Maybe Andrew (who is one of the EFP-profile creators, right?) can give us a more proper explanation.

/Sven
Title: Re: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: digitaldog on April 29, 2011, 12:27:47 pm
The cryptical names lies in the profile's different tag's, ASCII, UniCode and Mac-names.

I can only help or comment on the names for the one group of profiles we built for Epson for EFP (Exhibition Fiber Paper). The other names are all Epson’s doing. I agree, they are cryptic.

Here’s the cheat sheet from the previous Epson Print Academy in terms of the some Epson naming conventions:


SP4800 = Epson Stylus Pro 4800

SP7898 = Epson Stylus Pro 7800 or 9800
SP7999 = Epson Stylus Pro 7900 or 9900
EM = Enhanced Matte

EVFA = Epson Velvet Fine Art

PAWRC = PremierArt™ Water Resistant Canvas

PGPP250 = Premium Glossy Photo Paper (250)

PLPP260 = Premium Luster Photo Paper (260)

PSMPP250 = Premium Semimatte Photo Paper (250)
EFP = Exhibition Fiber Paper

USFAP = UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper
PK = Photo Black Mode

MK = Matte Black Mode
Title: Re: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: Mike Guilbault on April 29, 2011, 01:26:01 pm
Thanks Andrew... very much appreciated.
Title: Re: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: Farmer on April 29, 2011, 05:58:29 pm
They seem short and cryptic (well, they are), but remember that certain software wouldn't have shown the full name (and some still doesn't) for the "long form" so a way was needed to convey the information in a limited space.

Whilst 4900 specific/custom profiles are better, you can use 7900/9900 profiles as a stop gap on a 4900.
Title: Re: Epson 4900 ICC Profiles
Post by: Mike Guilbault on April 29, 2011, 10:35:19 pm
Thanks Phil.  Now that the names have been deciphered I found them easily.  Got through my sample pack very nicely.  I do like the Cold Press Natural!