Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: haring on April 28, 2011, 03:15:51 pm
-
Has anybody worked with the Canon 24mm 3.5 Mark II tilt shift AND the Nikon 24mm 3.5 tilt shift lenses?
Which one is better? I see a lot of good reviews on both but I haven't seen anybody who used both of them and can tell me whether the Nikon is as good or better than the Canon....?
-
I have - the canon is best - sharper, less distortion and CA by a good margain, it's also better in to use, bigger knobs and lock for tilt.
In short, this lens and the 17mm made me switch from Nikon to Canon. They are really good!
As a note, I do miss the wonderfull files from the D3X......
/Adam
-
The new TS's kept me under Canon.
Ed
-
Another alternative is a Horseman system that lets you use a Nikon or Canon body with a variety of view camera lenses, and has tilt/swing capabilities. Have seen a prototype and was very impressed. Nice fit and finish, actually seemed smaller than the pictures suggest. Several flavors available, and you're not stuck with one focal length.
http://www.komamura.co.jp/e/VCCpro/index.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/685121-REG/Horseman_21766_VCC_Pro_View_Camera.html
-
What glass will you attach to that Horseman that will equal the angle of view of the 24mm sift from either brand?
The view camera "adapters" for 35mm format digital cameras are not well suited for wide angle nor substantial movements.
-
I did some side by side testing of he Nikon and new Canon 24 T/S when the new Canon came out. They are both superb lenses. The Canon is ever so slightly better optically. If you combine that with the independence of the T/S relationship and the lockout of the tilt on the Canon (I can't actually remember if the Nikon locks out), the Canon is the clear winner. BUT I'd say that if you were already invested in Nikon I wouldn't dump the system for Canon. It is not that much better and (at this moment) the top of the line Nikon bodies have the better IQ.
-
What glass will you attach to that Horseman that will equal the angle of view of the 24mm sift from either brand?
The view camera "adapters" for 35mm format digital cameras are not well suited for wide angle nor substantial movements.
My understanding is that 24mm is 24mm irrespective of format. Hens crop factor, but could be wrong though. In any case you would not be relegated to a single focal length or optical design. After all, the whole idea of T/S is to mimic a view camera. You can also use MF lenses and they make a version for digi backs.
Was just pointing out there are alternatives that others may be unaware of, there might be someone out there who finds their curiosity piqued.